Historical Markers in
Tom Green County, Texas

Administration Building of the Fort Concho Museum Anti-Tuberculosis Colony No. 1 (McKnight State Tuberculosis Hospital) Assumption of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church Ben Ficklin Cemetery Butterfield Stage Station at Grape Creek C. C. Walsh House Chapel & Schoolhouse Chapel and School House of Fort Concho Charles B. Metcalfe Christoval Christoval Baptist Church Christoval United Methodist Church Congregation Beth Israel Cornick Bungalows Daniel Millar De Long Cemetery Delta Memorial Park Cemetery Develin House Early City School Eckert House Emanuel Episcopal Church Emmanuel Episcopal Church Enlisted Men's Barracks #1 Enlisted Men's Barracks #2 Enlisted Men's Barracks, # 5 Enlisted Men's Barracks, # 6 Fairmount Cemetery First Baptist Church of San Angelo First Presbyterian Church First United Methodist Church of San Angelo Fort Concho Fred Beck Homestead Guadalupe Elementary School Homesite of Mrs. Robert Massie (1867-1931) Immanuel Baptist Church John Ingram John R. ("Sarge") Nasworthy John Yellott Rust Johnson Street Church of Christ Kiwanis Little Olympics Knickerbocker Knickerbocker Schools Maier House, The Major Ben Ficklin, C.S.A. Mullins Cemetery Municipal Swimming Pool Officers Quarters No. 2 Officers Quarters No. 4, Fort Concho, Texas (missing) Officers Quarters No. 8, Fort Concho, Texas. Officers' Quarters #2 Officers' Quarters #4 Officers' Quarters #8 Orient-Santa Fe Depot Original Tom Green County R.F. Tankersley Homestead Sacred Heart Catholic Church Schwartz & Raas and San Angelo National Bank Building Sheep and Goat Industry in Texas Site of Ben Ficklin Site of Bismarck Farm St. John's Hospital The San Angelo Standard The Tenth Cavalry Tom Green County Tom Green, Confederate General Wall Brethren Church World War I Peace Monument World War I Peace Monument
Texas is also home to the world's largest honky-tonk, Billy Bob's Texas in Fort Worth. The venue covers three acres and can hold up to 6,000 people.
Tom Green County is located in West Texas and was named after Thomas Green, a Texas patriot. The history of the county dates back to the mid-1800s when it was inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Lipan Apache and Comanche. Native American settlements gradually declined in the area with the arrival of European settlers, especially after the establishment of Fort Concho in 1867.

In the late 1800s, the county began to attract settlers looking for opportunities in ranching and agriculture. This period saw an influx of farmers and ranchers who developed the land for cattle and sheep grazing, as well as growing crops such as cotton, corn, and wheat. The population increased significantly during this time, leading to the official organization of Tom Green County in 1874.

The county experienced rapid growth during the late 19th century, thanks to the establishment of Fort Concho and the expansion of the railroad. Fort Concho served as a primary military post protecting settlements against Native American raids and fostered economic growth by providing stability and resources to the region. Additionally, the arrival of the railroad in the 1880s further spurred economic development, making transportation of goods easier and stimulating trade.

In the early 20th century, Tom Green County faced several challenges, including droughts and the Great Depression. However, the county managed to overcome these obstacles and continued to thrive. Today, Tom Green County is known for its agriculture, oil and gas production, and as a center for healthcare and education. With a rich history that encompasses Native American heritage, frontier life, military significance, and economic growth, Tom Green County has played a vital role in the development of West Texas.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Tom Green County, Texas.

  • 1874 - Tom Green County is organized and named after Confederate General Thomas Green.
  • 1882 - The first courthouse in Tom Green County is built in the city of Ben Ficklin.
  • 1884 - San Angelo becomes the county seat after a contentious election.
  • 1886 - The Texas and Pacific Railway line is extended to San Angelo, boosting the city's economy.
  • 1899 - San Angelo is incorporated as a city.
  • 1928 - Goodfellow Air Force Base is established as a training facility during World War II.
  • 1952 - Construction of the O.H. Ivie Reservoir begins on the Colorado River near San Angelo.
  • 1995 - The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts opens.
  • 2002 - San Angelo experiences a devastating flood, causing significant damage to the city.
  • 2015 - The San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo celebrates its 83rd anniversary.