National Register Listings in
Linn County, Iowa

Albright, Henry D. and Juliana (Wortz), House Armstrong, Robert and Esther, House Ash Park Historic District Ausadie Building Averill, A. T., House Averill, Glenn M. and Edith, House B Avenue NE Historic District Bauman, Augustus and Elizabeth (Huntsberger), House Beach School Bertram Bridge Best Oil and Refining Company Service Station Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church Bohemian Commercial Historic District Bohemian Commercial Historic District Bowman, James W. and Ida G., House Braska House Brown Apartments Burlington, Cedar Rapids, and Minnesota Railroad: Walker Station C.S.P.S. Hall Calder Houses Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue SE. Automobile Row Historic District Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial Historic District Cedar Rapids Central Fire Station Cedar Rapids Milk Condensing Company Cedar Rapids Post Office and Public Building Cedar Rapids Pump Company Factory and Warehouse Central City Commercial Historic District Chain Lakes Bridge Coggon Commercial Historic District Coggon Public School Consistory Building No. 2 Cornell College-Mount Vernon Historic District Damour, William and Sue, House Douglas, George B., House Dows Street Historic District Dunn, William and Phebe C., House Ely School House Evans Manufacturing Company Building First Avenue Bridge First Church of Christ, Scientist First Presbyterian Church of Marion, Iowa First Universalist Church of Cedar Rapids Granger House Grant Vocational High School Grant Wood's "Fall Plowing" Rural Historic Landscape District Grant, Douglas and Charlotte, House Hamilton Brothers Building Harper and McIntire Company Warehouse Harris, Dr. Percy and Lileah, House Highwater Rock Hotel Roosevelt IANR Railroad Underpass Indian Creek Bridge Iowa Building Iowa State Highway Commission, District 6 Building Iowa Wind Mill and Pump Company Office and Warehouse Janko, Jan F. and Antonie, Farmstead District King Memorial Chapel Knott, Adams R., Frederick L. and Martha (Taylor), House Lane, Samuel M., House Lattner Auditorium Building Lesinger Block Lisbon Main Street Historic District Lustron Home #02102 Marion Carnegie Public Library Marion Commercial Historic District Matsell Bridge May's Island Historic District McCartney, James H. and Mayetta (Degrush), House Mentzer, Joseph P., House Meyers Farmstead Historic District Minor, Josias L. and Elizabeth A., Farmstead District Monroe Elementary School Historic District Moorhead, Joseph and Clara Amanda H., House Moslem Temple Mount Vernon Commercial Historic District Oak Hill Cemetery Historic District Odd Fellows Hall Our Mother of Sorrows Grotto Historic District Paramount Theater Building Pease, Dr. Luther L. and Susette E. (Baker), House People's Savings Bank Perkins, Charles W. and Nellie, House Podhajsky-Jansa Farmstead District Pucker Street Historic District Pyle, Glenn O. and Lucy O., House Redmond Park-Grande Avenue Historic District Robinson, George W. and Mary J. (Maxwell), House Second and Third Avenue Historic District Security Building Seminole Valley Farmstead Shantz, Martin L. and Mary Jane (Yount), House Shores-Mueller Company Sinclair Building-Smulekoffs Furniture Store Sinclair, T. M., Mansion Smith, James J. and Anna J. (Linean), House #1 Smith, James J. and Anna J. (Linean), House #2 Sokol Gymnasium St. James United Methodist Church St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church Stuckslager, Harrison, House Sumner School Taylor-Van Note Terrace Park Historic District Torrance House Upper Paris Bridge Waln, Elijah D. and Mary J. (Adams), House WCF & N Center Point Depot and Substation West Side Third Avenue SW. Commercial Historic District West, Wesley, House Whittier Friends Meeting House Wilds, Col. John Q. and Rowena (Camp), House Witwer Grocery Company Building Wolff, Philip A., House and Carriage House
Available on Amazon
Iowa was one of the first states to grant women the right to vote. In 1869, the Iowa state legislature passed a law allowing women to vote in school board elections. This was more than 50 years before the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution granted women the right to vote nationwide.
Linn County, Iowa has a rich and diverse history that spans several centuries. The area was originally inhabited by indigenous peoples, including the Sac and Fox tribes. The first European settlers arrived in the early 1830s, establishing small farming communities along the Cedar River. In 1839, Linn County was officially established by the Iowa Territorial Legislature and named in honor of Senator Lewis F. Linn.

During the mid-19th century, Linn County experienced significant growth and development. The construction of the railroad in the 1850s brought increased trade and transportation opportunities. The county became an important hub for agriculture and industry, with flour mills, sawmills, and various manufacturing businesses flourishing. The city of Cedar Rapids, the county seat, emerged as a major economic center.

In April 1921, Linn County was struck by a devastating flood that caused extensive damage to Cedar Rapids and surrounding areas. The event, known as the Great Flood of 1921, resulted in numerous fatalities and significant destruction of homes, businesses, and infrastructure. However, the community rallied together and successfully rebuilt, incorporating modern flood prevention measures into the city's infrastructure.

Today, Linn County continues to be a thriving and vibrant community. It offers a rich cultural heritage with various museums, historical sites, and annual events that celebrate its past. The county also boasts a diverse economy, with a strong focus on manufacturing, healthcare, education, and technology. Linn County remains an attractive destination for residents and visitors alike, with its beautiful landscapes, recreational opportunities, and a commitment to preserving its history for future generations.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Linn County, Iowa.

  • 1838: Linn County established by the Legislative Assembly of the Wisconsin Territory.
  • 1839: Marion becomes the first county seat.
  • 1840: The first courthouse is built in Marion.
  • 1841: Cedar Rapids becomes the new county seat due to its central location.
  • 1849: Linn County officially becomes part of the state of Iowa.
  • 1850: The first county jail is constructed in Cedar Rapids.
  • 1869: The Great Flood devastates Cedar Rapids, causing significant damage to the city and surrounding areas.
  • 1904: The current Linn County Courthouse is completed in Cedar Rapids.
  • 1920: The population of Linn County reaches over 100,000 people.
  • 2000: The African American Historical Museum and Cultural Center of Iowa is established in Cedar Rapids.
  • 2008: Cedar Rapids experiences severe flooding, causing widespread damage and displacement.
  • 2019: Linn County celebrates its 180th anniversary since establishment.