National Register Listings in
Kent County, Delaware

Allee House Arnold, George, House Aspendale Attix, Thomas, House Bank House Bannister Hall and Baynard House Barratt Hall Barratt's Chapel Belmont Hall Bethel Methodist Protestant Church Betz, J. F., House Blackiston, Benjamin, House Bonwell House Bradford-Loockerman House Brecknock Building 1301, Dover Air Force Base Bullen, John, House Burrows, W. D., House Byrd's AME Church Camden Friends Meetinghouse Camden Historic District Cherbourg Round Barn Cheyney Clow's Rebellion, Scene of Christ Church Christ Church Clark-Pratt House Clayton Railroad Station Coombe Historic District Cooper House Coursey, Thomas B., House Cow Marsh Old School Baptist Church Cummins, David J., House Cummins, Timothy, House Davis, Thomas, House Delaware Boundary Markers Delaware State Museum Buildings Denny, T. H., House Dickinson, John, House Dover Green Historic District Downs, N. C., House Downtown Harrington Historic District Duck Creek Village Durham-Shores House Eden Hill Felton Historic District Felton Railroad Station Fennimore Store Fourteen Foot Bank Light Frederica Historic District George Farmhouse Golden Mine Governor's House Great Geneva Green Mansion House Greenwold Griffith's Chapel Hill, Robert, House Hoffecker-Lockwood House Hudson, Alfred L., House Ivy Dale Farm Jones, Enoch, House KATHERINE M. LEE (Schooner) Kenton Historic District Kenton Post Office Lamb, Thomas, Farm Lamb, Thomas, House Laws, Alexander, House Lewis Family Tenant Agricultural Complex Lewis, Jefferson, House Lindale,John B.,House Little Creek Hundred Rural Historic District Little Creek Methodist Church Lofland, Peter, House Logan School House K-834 Loockerman Hall Lowber, Matthew, House Macomb Farm MAGGIE S. MYERS (schooner) McClary House McColley, James, House McDaniel, Delaplane, House Mifflin-Marim Agricultural Complex Milford New Century Club Mill House Moore House Mordington North Milford Historic District Octagonal Schoolhouse Old Fire House Old Statehouse Old Stone Tavern Palmer Home Peterson and Mustard's Hermitage Farm Poinsett House Port Mahon Lighthouse Rawley House Raymond Neck Historic District Reed House Reed, Jehu, House Ruth Mansion House Saxton United Methodist Church Short's Landing Hotel Complex Sipple House Smyrna Historic District Snowland Somerville St. Joseph's Industrial School St. Paul A.M.E. Church St. Stephen's P.E. Church Star Hill AME Church Stevens, William, House Stubbs, Elizabeth, House Sutton, Thomas, House Tharp House Thomas' Methodist Episcopal Chapel Thorne, Parson, Mansion Todd's Chapel Town Point Truitt, Gov. George, House Tyn Head Court Victorian Dover Historic District Vogl House Voshell, John M., House Walnut Farm Watson, Gov. William T., Mansion Wheel of Fortune White-Warren Tenant House Wilkerson, J. H., & Son Brickworks Williams, James, House Woodlawn Woodley, Jonathan, House Woodside Methodist Episcopal Church Wright-Carry House Wyoming Historic District Wyoming Railroad Station Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church
Available on Amazon
The Delaware River, which borders the District of Delaware, played a significant role in the American Revolution. In December 1776, General George Washington and his troops famously crossed the Delaware River from Pennsylvania to launch a surprise attack on Hessian soldiers in Trenton, New Jersey.
Kent County, located in the state of Delaware, has a rich and diverse history that dates back to the colonial era. The area was originally inhabited by the Lenape people before European settlers arrived in the early 17th century. The first permanent European settlement in the county was established by the Dutch in 1631, but they were soon displaced by the English who took control of the region.

During the 18th century, Kent County played a significant role in American history, particularly during the American Revolution. The county's proximity to important waterways, such as the Delaware River, made it a strategic location for trade and transportation. Dover, the county seat, became the state capital in 1777 and hosted the state's constitutional convention. It was also the site of the historic Golden Fleece Tavern, where the Constitution of Delaware was ratified.

In the 19th century, Kent County experienced economic growth and development, largely centered around agriculture and industry. The county became known for its large agricultural estates, such as Dover's Green Thatch Plantation, which contributed to the region's prosperity. With the advent of railroads, transportation became more efficient, allowing for easier movement of goods and people.

In the 20th century, Kent County saw further growth and diversification. The establishment of Dover Air Force Base during World War II brought economic opportunities and employment to the area. Additionally, the county's location between two major cities, Philadelphia and Baltimore, contributed to its role as a transportation hub and a growing business center. Today, Kent County continues to thrive as a blend of agricultural, industrial, and residential communities, while also preserving its historical heritage through numerous museums, historic sites, and landmarks.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Kent County, Delaware.

  • 1680: Kent County was established as one of three original counties in Delaware.
  • 1682: The county's first courthouse was built in Duck Creek Crossroads, now known as Smyrna.
  • 1701: Kent County became the new capital of Delaware, replacing New Castle.
  • 1777: The Battle of Cooch's Bridge, the only Revolutionary War battle fought in Delaware, took place in the county.
  • 1787: Delaware became the first state to ratify the United States Constitution at the Golden Fleece Tavern in Dover.
  • 1829: The Delaware Railroad was established, connecting Kent County to the growing transportation network.
  • 1865: The Thirteenth Amendment, abolishing slavery, was ratified by Delaware in Dover.
  • 1978: The Delaware Agricultural Museum and Village opened in Dover, showcasing the county's agricultural history.
  • 2013: Kent County celebrated its 330th anniversary with various events and activities.