National Register Listings in
Hunterdon County, New Jersey

Amsterdam Historic District Annandale Historic District Apgar, J. K., Farmhouse Bartles House Bray-Hoffman House Califon Historic District Case Farmstead Case-Dvoor Farmstead Clinton Historic District Clover Hill Historic District Cokesbury Historic District Covered Bridge Historic District Dart's Mill Historic District Dawlis Mill-Spring Mill Historic District Delaware and Raritan Canal District No. 98 Schoolhouse Dunham's Mill Everittstown Historic District Eversole, Charles, House Fairmount Historic District Fink-Type Truss Bridge Flemington Historic District Frenchtown Historic District Frog Hollow Road Bridge over minor tributary of the South Branch, Raritan River Glen Gardner Pony Pratt Truss Bridge Green Sergeants Covered Bridge Headquarters Historic District Headquarters Historic District (Boundary Increase) High Bridge Reformed Church Highfields Hollow Brook Road Bridge over tributary of the Lamington River Kalmia Club, The Kline Farmhouse Lambertville Historic District Lambertville House Lansdown Lebanon Historic District Little York Historic District Locktown Baptist Church Marshall, James W., House McKinney, David, Mill Mechlins Corner Tavern Mount Airy Historic District Mount Pleasant Historic District Mount Salem Methodist Episcopal Church Mountainville Historic District Mulligan, M. C., & Sons Quarry Music Hall New Hampton Historic District New Hampton Pony Pratt Truss Bridge New Market-Linvale-Snydertown Historic District Old Grandin Library Old Stone Presbyterian Church Oldwick Historic District Palatine Road Brige over a minor tributary of the Lamington River Peck's Ferry Bridge Perryville Tavern Pittstown Historic District Potterstown Rural Historic District Pottersville Village Historic District Prallsville District Pursley's Ferry Historic District Quaker Meeting Raritan-Readington South Branch Historic District Raven Rock Historic District Raven Rock Road Bridge Reading, John, Farmstead Readingsburg Historic District Readington Village Historic Village Reaville Historic District Riegel Ridge Community Center Ringoes Historic District Rockhill Agricultural Historic District Rosemont Rural Agricultural District Sand Brook Historic District Sergeantsville Historic District St. Thomas Episcopal Church Stanton Historic Rural District Stone Sign Post Road Bridge over Plum Brook Strimple's Mill Road Bridge over Lockatong Creek Taylor's Mill Historic District Taylor's Mill Historic District (Boundary Increase) Thatcher House Turner-Chew-Carhart Farm Van Syckel Corner District Van Syckle, John, House Vought, Christoffel, Farmstead Wertsville Historic District White House Station Whitehouse-Mechanicsville Historic District
Available on Amazon
New Jersey played a significant role in the Underground Railroad, a network of secret routes and safe houses used by African American slaves to escape to freedom in the North. Many abolitionists in New Jersey helped fugitive slaves, including Harriet Tubman, who is known to have traveled through the state.
Hunterdon County, located in the western part of New Jersey, has a rich and diverse history dating back to prehistoric times. The original inhabitants of the region were the Lenape Native Americans, who lived in harmony with nature and relied on hunting, fishing, and farming for their sustenance. In the early 17th century, European settlers, mostly Dutch, Swedish, and English, began to arrive, establishing small farming communities along the Delaware and Raritan rivers.

During the American Revolution, Hunterdon County played a significant role due to its strategic location between Philadelphia and New York City. The area witnessed various military campaigns and saw many important figures of the era pass through, including George Washington, who crossed the Delaware River at what is now Washington Crossing State Park. The county was also home to notable patriots such as John Hart, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

In the 19th century, Hunterdon County saw industrial development with the construction of the Delaware and Raritan Canal and the arrival of the railroad. These transportation networks facilitated the growth of towns such as Flemington and Clinton, which became important centers of commerce and trade. The county also became known for its agricultural production, particularly dairy farming and the breeding of high-quality livestock.

In the 20th century, Hunterdon County experienced suburbanization and population growth as residents began to commute to nearby cities for work. Despite modernization, the county has made efforts to preserve its historical landmarks and rural character. From charming small towns and historic sites to natural treasures such as the Sourland Mountains and Round Valley Recreation Area, Hunterdon County continues to be a place that cherishes its past while embracing the future.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Hunterdon County, New Jersey.

  • 1688: Hunterdon County, NJ is founded by royal charter
  • 1714: The first courthouse is built in the county seat of Burlington
  • 1739: The county seat is moved to Trenton
  • 1744: The county seat is moved to Flemington
  • 1750: The first sawmill is constructed in the county
  • 1776: Hunterdon County residents actively participate in the American Revolutionary War
  • 1845: The first rail transport arrives in the county
  • 1864: The Flemington Fair, now known as the Hunterdon County 4-H and Agricultural Fair, begins
  • 1897: The famous Red Mill is built in Clinton
  • 1926: The first automobile bridge is constructed across the Delaware River
  • 1939: The Hunterdon Symphony Orchestra is established
  • 1970s: The county experiences significant population growth and suburban development
  • 2009: The Hunterdon Art Museum moves to its current location in Clinton