National Register Listings in
Cavalier County, North Dakota

North Dakota is the only state in the United States to have never experienced an earthquake. Despite being located near several fault lines, North Dakota's stable geological formations have prevented any significant seismic activity.
Cavalier County, located in the northeastern region of North Dakota, has a rich history that dates back to the mid-19th century. The area was originally inhabited by various Indigenous tribes, including the Dakota Sioux, before European explorers and settlers arrived. The first recorded Euro-American presence in the region occurred in the 1840s, when fur traders established trading posts along the Pembina River.

In 1873, Cavalier County was officially organized and named after Charles Cavileer, an early settler and prominent figure in the region. The county's development was greatly influenced by agriculture and the expansion of the railroad in the late 19th century. The fertile soil, coupled with the arrival of the Great Northern Railway, attracted many immigrants, primarily from Scandinavia and Germany, who sought opportunities in farming and homesteading.

The early 20th century marked a period of economic growth and development in Cavalier County. The county became a hub for agriculture, with wheat, barley, and livestock becoming major industries. The prosperous farming communities and small towns began to flourish, establishing schools, churches, and other essential community institutions.

The county faced its fair share of challenges in the 20th century, including the impacts of both World Wars, the Great Depression, and the agricultural crisis of the 1980s. Despite these setbacks, Cavalier County has remained resilient and continues to be an important agricultural region of North Dakota. Today, it remains a close-knit community, preserving its heritage and embracing the modern advancements that contribute to its continued growth and prosperity.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Cavalier County, North Dakota.

  • 1904 - Cavalier County is established on January 4.
  • 1906 - The town of Langdon is incorporated on July 11.
  • 1910 - The census records a population of 12,032 in the county.
  • 1920 - The Cavalier County Courthouse is constructed in Langdon.
  • 1936 - The Langdon Milling Company elevator is built, becoming the world's largest wooden structure.
  • 1979 - The city of Langdon is hit by a devastating tornado on June 17.
  • 1985 - The Langdon Research Extension Center is established by the North Dakota State University.
  • 1991 - The WPA Post Office in Langdon is added to the National Register of Historic Places.