National Register Listings in
Androscoggin County, Maine

All Soul's Chapel Androscoggin County Courthouse and Jail Androscoggin Mill Block Atkinson Building Auburn Commercial Historic District Auburn Public Library Bagley-Bliss House Barker Mill Bates Mill Historic District Briggs, William, Homestead Clifford, John D., House Clough Meeting House College Block-Lisbon Block Continental Mill Housing Cushman, Charles L., House Day, Holman, House Dingley, Frank L., House Dominican Block Elms Engine House Farwell Mill First Callahan Building First McGillicuddy Block First National Bank First Universalist Church Foss, Horatio G., House Free Baptist Church Frye, Sen. William P., House Garcelon, A. A., House Gay-Munroe House Gilead Railroad Station, Former Grand Trunk Railroad Station Hathorn Hall, Bates College Healey Asylum Holland, Captain, House Holland-Drew House Isaacson, Philip M. and Deborah N., House Jordan School Jordan, Charles A., House Jordan, F.M., House Keystone Mineral Springs Kora Temple Lamb Block Lewiston City Hall Lewiston Commercial Historic District Lewiston Mills and Water Power System Historic District Lewiston Public Library Lewiston Trust and Safe Deposit Company Lincoln Street Fire Station Lisbon Falls High School Little, Edward, House Lord Block Lord, James C., House Lower Lisbon Street Historic District Lyceum Hall Main Street Historic District Main Street-Frye Street Historic District Maine State Building Maine Supply Company Building Manufacturer's National Bank Marcotte Nursing Home Martel, Dr. Louis J., House Munroe, Horace, House Nelson Family Farm Norlands, The Oak Street School Odd Fellows Block Osgood Building Osgood, Nathaniel, House Peck, Bradford, House Penney, Samuel, House Pilsbury Block Poland Railroad Station Poland Spring Beach House, (Former) Poland Spring Bottling Plant and Spring House Poland Spring Historic District Record, Judson, House Roak Block Robinson, William A., House Saint Mary's General Hospital Savings Bank Block Seaverns, George, House Second Callahan Block Shiloh Temple St. Cyril and St. Methodius Church St. Joseph's Catholic Church Sts. Peter and Paul Church Trinity Episcopal Church Turner Cattle Pound Turner Town House Union Block Union Church US Post Office-Lewiston Main Webster Grammar School Webster Rubber Company Plant Wedgewood, Dr. Milton, House West Auburn School West Durham Methodist Church
Maine was originally part of Massachusetts: Maine was a part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and was officially recognized as a separate state on March 15, 1820, becoming the 23rd state of the United States.
Androscoggin County, located in the state of Maine, has a rich and diverse history that dates back centuries. The area was historically inhabited by the Abenaki Native American tribe who utilized the Androscoggin River, which runs through the county, for transportation, fishing, and trade. European settlers arrived in the early 17th century, with the first permanent settlement established in the 1630s.

The region saw significant growth during the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century. The Androscoggin River played a crucial role in the development of textile mills, shoe factories, and paper mills, transforming the area into a major industrial center. Communities like Lewiston and Auburn became thriving manufacturing hubs, attracting a large immigrant population, particularly French-Canadians and Irish immigrants, who came to work in the mills.

The county faced challenges during the Great Depression in the 1930s, with the closure of many mills and factories leading to high unemployment rates. However, Androscoggin County remained resilient and diversified its economy by expanding into other industries like healthcare and higher education. The establishment of institutions like Bates College and hospitals helped to stabilize the region economically and provide new opportunities for its residents.

In recent years, Androscoggin County has experienced revitalization efforts focused on preserving its history and promoting tourism. The area boasts a wealth of historical landmarks, including the Bates Mill complex and various museums, which attract visitors interested in learning about its industrial past. Additionally, the county's natural beauty, with its rivers, parks, and lakes, has made it a popular destination for outdoor recreational activities. Overall, Androscoggin County's history is characterized by industrial growth, cultural diversity, and the ability to adapt to changing economic circumstances.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Androscoggin County, Maine.

  • 1854 - Androscoggin County is established by the Maine Legislature on March 18
  • 1873 - The county seat is moved from Auburn to Lewiston
  • 1890 - Bates College is founded in Lewiston
  • 19th century - Mills along the Androscoggin River drive the local economy
  • 1930s - The textile industry in the county starts to decline
  • Late 20th century - Lewiston and Auburn experience a period of economic restructuring
  • 2000s - The county focuses on diversifying its economy and promoting tourism