National Register Listings in
Duval County, Florida

310 West Church Street Apartments American Red Cross Volunteer Life Saving Corps Station Arpen, Henry C., House Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Locomotive No. 1504 Atlantic National Bank Annex Avondale Historic District Bethel Baptist Institutional Church Brewster Hospital Broward, Napoleon Bonaparte, House Buckman and Ulmer Building Carling Hotel Casa Marina Hotel Catherine Street Fire Station Centennial Hall-Edward Waters College Church of the Immaculate Conception Cummer Gardens Downtown Jacksonville Historic District Durkee Gardens Historic District Durkee, Joseph H., Athletic Field Dyal-Upchurch Building El Modelo Block Elks Club Building Epping Forest Evergreen Cemetery Florida Baptist Building Florida Theater Fort Caroline National Memorial Groover-Stewart Drug Company Building House at 3325 Via de la Reiva House at 3335 Via de la Reina House at 3500 Via de la Reina House at 3609 Via de la Reina House at 3685 Via de la Reina House at 3703 Via de la Reina House at 3764 Ponce de Leon Avenue House at 7144 Madrid Avenue House at 7207 Ventura Avenue House at 7217 Ventura Avenue House at 7227 San Pedro House at 7245 San Jose Boulevard House at 7246 San Carlos House at 7246 St. Augustine Road House at 7249 San Pedro House at 7288 San Jose Boulevard House at 7306 St. Augustine Road House at 7317 San Jose Boulevard House at 7330 Ventura Avenue House at 7356 San Jose Boulevard House at 7400 San Jose Boulevard Hutchinson-Suddath Building Jacksonville Jewish Center Jacksonville Terminal Complex Kingsley Plantation Klutho, Henry John, House Knight, W.A., Building Lane-Towers House Lewis Mausoleum Little Theatre Lynch Building Mandarin Store and Post Office Marabanong Masonic Temple Memorial Cemetery Memorial Park Morocco Temple Mount Zion AME Church Mt. Calvary Baptist Church Norman Film Manufacturing Company Norman Film Studios Old Jacksonville Free Public Library Old Ortega Historic District Old St. Luke's Hospital Palm Spring Cemetery Plaza Hotel Porter, Thomas V., House Red Bank Plantation Ribault Inn Club Riverside Baptist Church Riverside Historic District Sammis, John S., House San Jose Administration Building San Jose Country Club San Jose Estates Gatehouse San Jose Hotel Snyder Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church South Atlantic Investment Corporation Building South Jacksonville Grammar School Springfield Historic District St. Andrew's Episcopal Church St. George Episcopal Church St. James Building St. John's Lighthouse St. Johns Light Stanton, Edwin M., School Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve Title & Trust Company of Florida Building Union Terminal Company Warehouse Unitarian Universalist Church of Jacksonville Village Store Woman's Club of Jacksonville Yellow Bluff Fort Young Men's Hebrew Association
During the 19th century, Florida was known as the "Wilderness State" due to its vast stretches of undeveloped land and abundant wildlife.
Duval County, located in northeast Florida, has a rich and complex history that dates back thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by indigenous peoples, including the Timucua, who thrived on hunting, fishing, and agriculture. The arrival of European explorers began in the 16th century, with French and Spanish expeditions exploring the region. However, it was the Spanish who established a permanent settlement in 1565, with the founding of St. Augustine, making it the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement within the borders of the continental United States.

During the 18th century, control of the area shifted between the Spanish and British several times due to conflicts such as the French and Indian War and the American Revolution. After the United States gained independence, Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821, and Duval County was created in 1822. The county was named in honor of William Pope Duval, the first territorial governor of Florida.

In the 19th century, Duval County experienced significant growth with the establishment of Jacksonville as its county seat. The city grew into an important port and commercial center due to its advantageous location along the St. Johns River and its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. It became a hub for transportation and trade, attracting steamboat companies, railroads, and later, the Navy during the Civil War.

The 20th century brought continued development and change to Duval County. Jacksonville experienced both prosperity and challenges, including the devastating Great Fire of 1901, which destroyed much of the city's downtown area. In the following decades, the county underwent urbanization, population growth, and the expansion of industries such as tourism, finance, and manufacturing. Today, Duval County remains a vibrant and diverse region, blending its historical significance with modern advancements and opportunities.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Duval County, Florida.

  • 1822 - Duval County is created as one of the original counties of Florida.
  • 1824 - Jacksonville is established as the county seat.
  • 1862 - During the American Civil War, Jacksonville is occupied by Union forces.
  • 1888 - The Great Fire of 1888 destroys much of Jacksonville.
  • 1901 - Another devastating fire hits Jacksonville, leading to significant urban redevelopment.
  • 1968 - Consolidation occurs, merging the city of Jacksonville with Duval County.
  • 1991 - The Jacksonville Jaguars are granted an NFL franchise.
  • 2005 - Hurricane Katrina causes significant damage in Duval County.
  • 2014 - The One Spark festival, a crowdfunding event for innovators, is first held in Jacksonville.