Historical Markers in
Waukesha County, Wisconsin

Acme Spring Aitken Brothers Birth Place American Legion Home Barn Beaumont Hop House Bishop Jackson Kemper Home Built 1849 Brogan Cabin Calhoun Carl Schurz Forest Caroline Quiner "Ma" Ingalls Birthplace Carroll College Cheney-Faulkner Cooper Home Childhood Home of Wisconsin Governor Julius P. Heil (1876-1949) City of Brookfield Clark House Museum Club 400 Cohn's Shoe Store Courthouse Complex Courthouse Square Cushing Memorial Park Delafield Fish Hatchery Dodges Corners Cemetery Dousman Dunbar Oak First Baptist Church Of Merton First Woman in Town of Lisbon Freewill Baptist Church Genesee Depot George L. Clarke House Halquist Quarry Hamlet of Calhoun Haseltine Cobblestone House Hawks Inn Heaven City Historic Muskego Centre Park Historic Okauchee Hon. Thomas Weaver Home Janesville Plank Road Tollgate Koch House Lannon Lists itself as “Amateur Baseball Capital of Waukesha County” Lannon Stone Lapham Peak Lapham Peak Les Paul Lindholm Vocational & Adult School Linnie Lac Lisbon Plank School Luther Parker Cemetery Lyman Goodnow Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon Maney Ridge Prehistoric Effigy Mounds Martin C. Weber, Sr. Masonic Home Miller-Davidson House Milwaukee and Madison Railway Depot Milwaukee Road Depot Monches Moor Mud Baths Hotel Mukwonago Muskego Muskego Beach Amusement Park Nashotah Mission New Berlin Hills Golf Course New Tribes Bible Institute North Lake Northwestern Military and Naval Academy Oak Hill Cemetery Oconomowoc Oconomowoc Masonic Center Old Cutler Home Old Muskego Town Hall Palestine School Park Arthur Pewaukee Village Pioneer Cemetery Pioneer St. James Catholic Church Plainview School No. 4 Prehistoric Indian Mound Revolutionary War Veteran Rotunda Saylesville School House Silurian Spring Sixteen School South Shore Cars Come to East Troy St. Alban’s Episcopal Church St. John's Military Academy St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran (Kirche) Church Stone Bank Sub-Continental Divide Sussex Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR The Cobblestone The Devil's Teapot The Dousman Inn The Electric Interurban Muskego Centre Station The Inn at Pine Terrace The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Vernon The Waukesha Freeman The William Donaldson House Town of Lisbon Town of Vernon Umhoefer House Village of Big Bend Village of Eagle Village of Hartland Village of Merton Waterville Waukesha Beach Amusement Park Waukesha City - Cutler Park Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT) Waukesha Engine Division Weber Brewery Woodside One-Room School Bell Zion Evangelical Cemetery "Cornfalfa" Farms "Do I Smell Pizza-Burgers?"
Available on Amazon
Wisconsin was the first state in the United States to provide workers' compensation for injured workers, in 1911.
Waukesha County, located in southeastern Wisconsin, has a rich history dating back to the early 19th century. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, such as the Menominee and Potawatomi, who used the abundant natural resources for their livelihoods. European settlement began in the 1830s, with Yankee pioneers establishing small farming communities and mills along the Fox River.

In the mid-19th century, the construction of the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad brought significant growth and economic development to Waukesha County. The first train arrived in the county in 1851, connecting the area to Milwaukee and stimulating trade and transportation. This led to the establishment of new towns, such as Pewaukee, Oconomowoc, and Waukesha, the county seat.

During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the county became a popular destination for wealthy urban residents seeking a retreat from city life. The region's picturesque lakes and scenic landscapes attracted tourists and led to the development of resort communities, including Delafield and Nashotah. These communities flourished as vacation spots and continued to attract visitors well into the 20th century.

Over time, Waukesha County evolved into a suburban area with a strong emphasis on education and healthcare. The region experienced rapid population growth throughout the 20th century, and many companies and industries relocated to the county. With its proximity to Milwaukee, Waukesha County has become a desirable place for families seeking a suburban lifestyle while remaining close to urban amenities.

Today, Waukesha County is known for its high standard of living, beautiful parks, and excellent school systems. It continues to grow and thrive, maintaining its reputation as a desirable place to live, work, and visit.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Waukesha County, Wisconsin.

  • 1834: Waukesha County is established as the final of Wisconsin's original counties.
  • 1836: Waukesha becomes the first county seat.
  • 1846: The City of Waukesha is incorporated.
  • 1852: The Wisconsin Territorial Legislature establishes the State of Wisconsin's first mental institution in Wauwatosa.
  • 1874: The Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad starts operation in Waukesha County.
  • 1893: The City of Oconomowoc is incorporated.
  • 1901: The first electric interurban railway, The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Company, operates in Waukesha.
  • 1903: Waukesha County Parks System is established.
  • 1958: Carroll College (now Carroll University) gains university status.
  • 2000: Waukesha County Technical College celebrates its centennial anniversary.