National Register Listings in
Rock County, Wisconsin

Alexander, John, Wheat Warehouse Allen, Abram, House Armory, The Bartlett Memorial Historical Museum Beloit Power Plant Beloit Water Tower Benton Avenue Historic District Blodgett, Selvy, House Bluff Street Historic District Bostwick Avenue Historic District Brasstown Cottage Church of St. Thomas the Apostle Citizens Bank City of Beloit Waterworks and Pump Station Clark-Brown House Clinton Village Hall Clinton Water Tower Columbus Circle Historic District Conrad Cottages Historic District Cooksville Cheese Factory Cooksville Historic District Cooksville Historic District (Boundary Increase) Cooksville Mill and Mill Pond Site Cooper-Gillies House Courier Building Court Street Methodist Church Courthouse Hill Historic District Crist, J. W., House Crosby Block Crosby, James B., House Culton, Charles L., House De Jean House Dean, Erastus, Farmstead DeLong, Homer B., House Dow, John T., House Eager Free Public Library Eager, Almeron, Funerary Monument and Plot East Milwaukee Street Historic District Edgerton Depot Edgerton Post Office Edgerton Public Grade Schools Emerson Hall Evansville Historic District Evansville Standpipe Fairbanks Flats First Congregational Church Footville Condensery Footville State Bank Fredendall Block Fulton Congregational Church Fulton Street Historic District Gempeler Round Barn Gifford House Gilley-tofsland Octagonal Barn Goodrich Blacksmith Shop Goodrich, Ezra and Elizabeth, House Goodrich-Buten House Gray, William H. and Edith, Farmstead Greenman, Reynolds and Lois, House Grove Street Historic District Hanchett Block Haven-Crandall House Hilton House Hotel Hugunin, John and Martha, House Janesville Cotton Mill Janesville High School Janesville Public Library Janesville Pumping Station Jefferson Avenue Historic District Jones, John H., House Jones, Samuel S., Cobblestone House Lappin-Hayes Block LaPrairie Grange Hall No. 79 Lathrop-Munn Cobblestone House Leonard-Leota Park Look West Historic District Look West Historic District (Boundary Increase) Lovejoy and Merrill-Nowlan Houses Masonic Temple McEwan, Peter, Warehouse Merchant Row Historic District Merrill Avenue Historic District Miller House Milton College Historic District Milton House Moran's Saloon Murray-George House Myers, Peter, Pork Packing Plant and Willard Coleman Building Myers-Newhoff House Near East Side Historic District Neese, Elbert, House North Main Street Historic District North, Sterling, House Nye, Clark, House Old Fourth Ward Historic District Orfordville Depot Owen, John and Margaret, House Owen, William J., Store Pangborn, J. L., House Parkview Historic District Payne-Craig House Pearsons Hall of Science Pomeroy and Pelton Tobacco Warehouse Porter, J. K., Farmstead Prospect Hill Historic District Randall, Brewster, House Rasey House Rau, Charles, House Richardson Grout House Richardson, Hamilton, House Richardson-Brinkman Cobblestone House Rindfleisch Building Risum Round Barn Robinson, John C. and Mary, Farmstead Seventh Day Baptist Church Shopiere Congregational Church Slaymaker, Stephen, House Smiley, Samuel, House Smith, John, House South First Street Residential Historic District South Main Street Historic District St. John's Lutheran Church St. Paul's Episcopal Church Stark-Clint House Stebbins, Harrison, House Strang, Soloman J., House Strong Building Strong Partridge Mound Group Strunk, John and Eleanor, House Tallman House Taylor, A. E., House Turtleville Iron Bridge West Luther Valley Lutheran Church West Milwaukee Street Historic District Whiton-Parker House Willard, Frances, Schoolhouse Wyman-Rye Farmstead Yates, Florence, House
Wisconsin was originally part of the Northwest Territory, which was created by the United States in 1787. It later became part of the Michigan Territory in 1805, and then part of the Wisconsin Territory in 1836.
Rock County, Wisconsin has a rich and diverse history that dates back to the early 1800s. The area that is now Rock County was originally home to Native American tribes, including the Ho-Chunk Nation, who inhabited the land for centuries. In the early 1800s, European settlers began to arrive, drawn by the fertile land, abundant water resources, and potential for trade.

The first European settlement in Rock County was established in 1835 by William Holmes, who built a log cabin near the present-day city of Beloit. The area quickly attracted more settlers, and by 1836, Rock County was formed and named after the Rock River that flows through it. The discovery of lead in the region in the 1820s brought an influx of miners, leading to the growth of towns like Mineral Point and Shullsburg.

The mid-19th century saw the establishment and growth of several towns in Rock County, including Janesville and Evansville. Janesville, in particular, flourished as a trading center and transportation hub, thanks to its location on the Rock River and the construction of a railroad in the 1850s. By the late 1800s, Janesville had become an industrial center with mills, foundries, and factories producing a wide range of goods.

The 20th century brought both challenges and opportunities to Rock County. The Great Depression of the 1930s hit the area hard, but the county rebounded during World War II, when manufacturing industries expanded to support the war effort. After the war, Rock County experienced further industrial growth, especially in the automotive and farm equipment sectors. However, the late 20th century brought challenges as some industries faced decline and job losses.

Today, Rock County continues to evolve and adapt. The county is known for its agricultural heritage and is home to many family farms. It also boasts a diverse economy, including manufacturing, healthcare, education, and tourism. The county's history is preserved and celebrated through various museums, historic sites, and community events, showcasing the resilience and spirit of the people who have called Rock County home throughout its history.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Rock County, Wisconsin.

  • 1836 - Rock County is organized and established as a county in the Wisconsin Territory.
  • 1844 - The city of Janesville is incorporated as the county seat of Rock County.
  • 1854 - The Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad reaches Janesville, spurring economic growth in the county.
  • 1861-1865 - Rock County residents participate in the American Civil War, with many joining Union forces.
  • 1873 - The Janesville Electric Company is established, providing electric power to the city.
  • 1900 - The automobile industry begins to flourish in Rock County, with several car manufacturers setting up operations.
  • 1936 - The Rock County Airport (now Southern Wisconsin Regional Airport) is established near Janesville.
  • 1942 - General Motors builds a large manufacturing plant in Janesville, becoming a major employer in the county for decades.
  • 1964 - Rock County experiences a devastating tornado outbreak, causing significant damage to several communities.
  • 2008 - General Motors announces the closure of its Janesville plant, leading to a significant economic impact on the county.