The Olympic National Park, located on the Olympic Peninsula, is home to one of the few temperate rainforests in the world, with over 12 feet of annual rainfall in some areas.
Asotin County is located in the southeast corner of the state of Washington, bordering Idaho. Its history dates back to prehistoric times when indigenous tribes, including the Nez Perce and Palouse, inhabited the area. These tribes relied on the abundant natural resources found in the regions, such as fish from the Snake and Clearwater rivers and game from the surrounding forests and grasslands.

European exploration of the area began in the early 19th century with fur trappers and traders. In the 1850s, settlers started arriving, attracted by the opportunities provided by mining in the nearby Nez Perce Reservation. The first permanent settlement, Asotin City, was established in 1860. The city served as a transportation hub for miners and settlers making their way into central Idaho.

Asotin County was officially created in 1883, named after a Nez Perce word meaning "eel creek" due to the plentiful eels found in the area's waterways. The region continued to grow as settlers cultivated the fertile land for agriculture and established businesses to support the expanding community.

The county faced challenges in the early 20th century, including devastating fires and economic downturns. However, it persevered and developed into a thriving community thanks to the construction of dams and irrigation systems, which brought stability to the agriculture industry. Today, Asotin County is known for its beautiful landscapes, outdoor recreational opportunities, and a strong sense of community.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Asotin County, Washington.

  • 1805 - The Lewis and Clark Expedition explores the area that would later become Asotin County.
  • 1810s - Fur traders establish trading posts in the region, interacting with local Native American tribes.
  • 1861 - Asotin County is created by the Washington Territorial Legislature.
  • 1881 - The city of Asotin is incorporated.
  • 1893 - Clarkston, located across the Snake River from Asotin, is incorporated.
  • 1930 - The first steel bridge connecting Asotin and Clarkston is completed.
  • 1958 - The Lower Granite Dam is completed on the Snake River, providing electricity and flood control to the area.
  • 2000 - The Asotin County Courthouse, built in 1898, is added to the National Register of Historic Places.