Historical Markers in
Chittenden County, Vermont

103 Church Street 2nd Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment A Tribute to the Cochran Family of Richmond, VT An Intentional Landscape Andrew Harris 1814-1841 Apothecary Shop Arahmi Athletic Park Battery Park Beach Gallery Beach Lodge Blacksmith Shop Buffalo Soldiers At Fort Ethan Allen Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Ethan Allen Burial Place of General Ethan Allen Burlington Civil War Memorial Captain John Lonergan Catamount Stadium Celebrating Champlain Centennial Field Chester Arthur Chittenden County Trust Company Chittenden Mills Church Street Church Street Marketplace Church Street Marketplace City Hall Park Colchester Colchester Log Schoolhouse Colchester Reef Lighthouse Relocation Covered Bridge Danby Water Fountain, Before 1911 Diamond Barn District No. 5 Schoolhouse Dorset House Dr. Charles N. Perkins Dutton House Early Black Settlers Edmunds' Birthplace Electra Havemeyer Webb Memorial Building Ethan Allen Ethan Allen Park - Wilderness in the City First International Ice Hockey Game First Unitarian Universalist Society Meeting House Flat World, 2008 Fort Frederick General Store General William Wells / Dr. H. Nelson Jackson George Dewey, Admiral of the Navy, U.S.N. Grace Goodhue Coolidge Ground Beneath Your Feet Hat and Fragrance Textile Gallery Honor and Tradition Horseshoe Barn Horseshoe Barn Annex Howard Bank Building Howard William Plant memorial Huntington Gorge / Deaths at the Huntington Gorge In Memory of John Lonergan Jail John Dewey Lake Champlain Navy Memorial Lighthouse Little Italy Locomotive 220 Mary Martha Fletcher Meeting House Milton Speedway Native Americans and Winooski Neighborhood Groceries Neighbors Helping Neighbors Owl Cottage Activity Center Pine Street Barge Canal Pleasant View Farm's White Farmhouse / UVM Miller Research and Educational Center Pleissner Gallery Prentis House Preservation of the Colchester Reef Lighthouse Print Shop Quadricentennial Celebration Quinlan Schoolhouse Rail Car Grand Isle Railroad Station Ray W. Collins Richmond's Fallen Son Ron Stowell Round Barn Saint-Joseph Parish Samuel De Champlain Samuel de Champlain Sawmill Schoolhouse Settlers' House and Barn Shaker Shed Shelburne United Methodist Church Memorial Site of the American House Site of the Old Gas Station Smokehouse Stagecoach Inn Stencil House Stone Cottage The Battery The Battle of Plattsburgh Bay The Battle of Valcour Island The Black Snake Affair The Charlotte Whale The Citizens of Richmond The Lone Sailor The Long Trail The Meeting House The Parade The Rail Car Grand Isle The Round Church / Richmond, Vermont There's Only One Essex Junction Ticonderoga Toy Shop Union Station Variety Unit Vermont / Steamer "Vermont" Vermont House Gallery War Memorial Weaving Shop Webb Gallery Welcome to Shelburne Museum William Wells World War II Memorial World War Memorial "Snowflake" Bentley
Available on Amazon
Vermont was once the site of a major flood: In 1927, the state of Vermont experienced a major flood that caused extensive damage and loss of life. The flood was caused by heavy rainfall and resulted in the destruction of many homes and businesses.
Chittenden County, located in northern Vermont, has a rich history dating back thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Abenaki people, who harvested corn and utilized the abundant natural resources in the region. In the 17th century, European settlers arrived in the area and established several small farms and logging communities.

By the late 18th century, Chittenden County experienced rapid growth as more settlers moved into the region. In 1783, the town of Burlington was incorporated, named after the town of Burlington, Massachusetts. Burlington quickly became a major economic and cultural hub in the county, with its strategic location on Lake Champlain and proximity to major trade routes. The town also saw the establishment of the University of Vermont in 1791, which further solidified Burlington's importance.

During the 19th century, Chittenden County's economy diversified, with the rise of manufacturing and industry in the area. Industries such as lumber, textiles, and farming flourished, and new towns and villages were established. The arrival of the railroad in the mid-1800s further spurred economic growth and connected Chittenden County to larger markets both within Vermont and beyond.

In the 20th century, Chittenden County continued to grow and develop rapidly. The county experienced a population boom, particularly in the post-World War II era, with suburbanization and the expansion of Burlington. The University of Vermont also grew in size and reputation, attracting more students and contributing to the county's intellectual and cultural vibrancy. Today, Chittenden County remains one of Vermont's most populous and economically prosperous regions, known for its beautiful natural landscapes, thriving arts scene, and strong sense of community.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Chittenden County, Vermont.

  • 1763: Chittenden County is chartered by colonial governor Benning Wentworth and named after Thomas Chittenden, the first Governor of Vermont.
  • 1783: The American Revolutionary War ends, and Chittenden County becomes part of the newly established state of Vermont.
  • 1800: Burlington, the largest city in Chittenden County, is incorporated.
  • 1813: The University of Vermont is founded in Burlington.
  • 1840s: The Champlain and Connecticut River Railroad is constructed, connecting Chittenden County to other parts of Vermont and New England.
  • 1862: The first public park in the United States, Shelburne Farms, is established in Shelburne.
  • 1888: The University of Vermont Medical Center (formerly known as the Mary Fletcher Hospital) is founded in Burlington.
  • 1927: The first airport in Vermont, the Burlington International Airport, opens in South Burlington.
  • 1978: The Vermont Teddy Bear Company is founded in Shelburne.
  • 2002: The Church Street Marketplace, a pedestrian-only shopping and dining area, celebrates its 20th anniversary in Burlington.