Available on Amazon
The state is home to the world's first KFC restaurant, which was opened in Salt Lake City in 1952 by Colonel Harland Sanders.
Daggett County, Utah is a small county located in northeastern Utah. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Shoshone and Ute tribes, who relied on the land for hunting and gathering. European explorers first arrived in the late 18th century, followed by fur trappers in the early 19th century.

In 1845, the region became part of the newly established Utah Territory. The first permanent settlement, Brown's Park, was established in the 1870s, attracting ranchers and settlers to the area. The county was officially formed in 1918, named after Ellsworth Daggett, an early settler and prominent local rancher.

Daggett County experienced boom and bust cycles during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The discovery of gold and other minerals in the late 1800s led to a mining rush, bringing temporary prosperity to the area. However, the mines eventually closed, and the county saw a decline in population and economic activity.

Today, Daggett County's economy is mostly based on agriculture, tourism, and outdoor recreation. Its scenic landscapes, including Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area and Ashley National Forest, attract visitors for activities such as fishing, camping, hiking, and boating. The county remains sparsely populated, with a focus on preserving the natural beauty and heritage of the area.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Daggett County, Utah.

  • 1918: Daggett County is established by the Utah State Legislature.
  • 1919: The county holds its first election and elects its first county officials.
  • 1925: Uintah County transfers the town of Manila to Daggett County.
  • 1938: The Flaming Gorge Dam is proposed, which would later have a significant impact on the county.
  • 1958: Construction of the Flaming Gorge Dam begins.
  • 1962: The Flaming Gorge Reservoir, created by the dam, begins to fill with water.
  • 1984: The county purchases a building to serve as its courthouse and administrative offices.
  • 1993: The Ashley National Forest Service builds a visitor center in Manila.
  • 1996: A temporary bridge is constructed to replace the washed-out Swinging Bridge near Dutch John.
  • 2007: The Daggett County Courthouse is extensively renovated.
  • 2014: Daggett County celebrates its centennial anniversary.