The Texas Rangers, a famous law enforcement agency, were first organized in 1835 to protect settlers from Native American attacks.
Young County, Texas, located in the northern part of the state, has a rich and vibrant history. The county was named after Colonel William Cocke Young, an early settler and Texas Ranger. The area was originally home to several indigenous tribes, including the Comanche and Kiowa tribes, who relied on the abundant game and resources in the region.

European settlement in Young County began in the mid-19th century, with the arrival of immigrants from the southeastern United States. The county was officially established in 1856, and the town of Fort Belknap became the county seat. This fort played a crucial role in protecting pioneers from Native American attacks and served as an important trading post on the Butterfield Overland Mail route.

During the Civil War, Young County experienced great turmoil, with many residents supporting both the Union and Confederate causes. After the war, the county's economy began to develop, primarily through agriculture and ranching. Cattle raising became a significant industry, and the establishment of rail lines in the late 19th century further facilitated the growth of the county.

In the 20th century, Young County continued to evolve and diversify. Oil was discovered in the early 1900s, attracting many workers and leading to the establishment of new towns and industries. The construction of Lake Graham in the 1930s brought additional economic opportunities, particularly in tourism and outdoor recreation.

Today, Young County is a thriving community that celebrates its Western heritage and natural beauty. With a mix of historical sites, cultural events, and outdoor attractions, the county attracts visitors and residents alike.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Young County, Texas.

  • 1854 - Young County is established and named after early Texas settler George Washington Young.
  • 1874 - The first permanent settlement in the county, Belknap, is established.
  • 1881 - Graham, the current county seat, is founded and quickly becomes a major trading center.
  • 1884 - The Fort Belknap Indian Reservation, which had been established in 1851, is officially closed.
  • 1890 - The population of Young County reaches over 9,000 residents.
  • 1917-1918 - Young County experiences an oil boom, leading to increased population and economic growth.
  • 1940 - The Young County Historical Museum opens in Graham, preserving the county's history.
  • 1960s-1970s - Young County begins to diversify its economy with the development of manufacturing and service industries.
  • 2010 - The population of Young County is estimated to be around 18,550 residents.