Wilson County, Texas
Applewhite Homestead Barker-Huebinger House Beall Cemetery Bridge at McAlister Crossing (Mueller Bridge) (2/10 mi. SW) Camp Ranch Community Captain Will Wright Casa Blanca Cemetery of Canary Islanders Charles Carl Winkler House Christ United Methodist Church Cibolo Crossing on the Gonzales Road de la Zerda Cemetery Fairview Fairview Methodist Church First Baptist Church of Floresville First Baptist Church of Stockdale Flores Rancho Floresville United Methodist Church Garza-Valadez Cemetery Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery Immanuel Lutheran Church James Charles Wilson John Reagen Baker Kicaster Community King-Lorenz House La Vernia La Vernia United Methodist Church Linne Oil Field Mackey Brick and Tile Manufacturing Company Marcelina Cemetery Marcelina Community Near Site of Lodi Ferry Old Chihuahua Road Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church Pat Higgins Grass Farms Pearce-Maxwell Cemetery Polley Cemetery Rector Chapel Cemetery Shiloh Cemetery Site of Nockenut Site of Old Town of Union Valley Site of Old Town: Lodi St. Ann's Catholic Church Stockdale Cemetery Sutherland Springs Sutherland Springs Cemetery Sutherland Springs School Site Suttles Pottery Texas Ranger and Sheriff Capt. Will L. Wright The Flores de Abrego Family and Floresville The Site of the Mission of las Cabreras Town Named for Governor F.S. Stockdale Wheeler Cemetery White House Café and Saloon Whitehall Wilson County Wilson County Courthouse Yndo Ranch
Baker Cemetery Baldez Cemetery Barrett Family Cemetery Beall Cemetery Billimek Cemetery Bird Cemetery Black Hill Plot Cemetery Brenkoeters Ranch Burial Brigh Cemetery Britton-Robinson Cemetery Brooks Ranch Cemetery Burrow Grave(s) C.H. Albert Farm Cemetery Campos Grave Canada Verde Cemetery Canary Islander Cemetery Clay Grave Coughran Cemetery Cruse Cemetery de la Zerda Cemetery De marmolejo Cemetery Deagen Grave Demmer Cemetery Denhawken Cemetery Descanso Delon Pereguins Cemetery Dewees Cemetery Doege Twins Farm Cemetery Doisedo Colony Cemetery Eceleto Cemetery Edwards-Yates Elmo Spruce Orphanage and Cemetery Fairview Cemetery Fatheree Family Cemetery Floreno Ranch Cemetery Floresville Catholic Cemetery Floresville City Cemetery Franklin Cemetery Garza-Valdez Cemetery Grass Pond Cemetery #1 Grass Pond Cemetery #2 Graytown Cemetery Green School House Cemetery Gutz Cemetery Harper Cemetery Hollcum Cemetery Holstein Cemetery House Cemetery Hull Ranch Grave Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery Jaescke Farm Cemetery Jansiks Farm Grave Joe Estrada Cemetery Johns Family Cemetery Keilmann Cemetery Kicaster Cemetery Kolenda Cemetery Konsos Cemetery Koschuisko Catholic Cemetery Leach Cemetery Lennie Cemetery Lilly Grove Cemetry Loire Cemetery Marcelina Cemetery Medina Ranch Cemetery Montoya Cemetery Negro Slave Grave Neyland Cemetery Nockenut Cemetery Old Bartlett Cemetery Old Cone Cemetery Old Saspamco Old Wheeler Cemetery Palm Cemetery Pearce-Maxwell Cemetery Pena Cemetery Perez Grave Picosa-Martinez #2 Pleasant Valley Cemetery Polley Cemetery Poth Assembly of God Cemetery Poth Catholic Cemetery Poth Lutheran Cemetery Power Grave Rector Chapel Cemetery Reyes Cemetery Richter Roberson Family Cemetery #1 Roberson Family Cemetery #2 Roley Cemetery Sacred Heart Sample Cemetery Saspamco Catholic Cemetery Sauceda Sauceda Cemetrey Shely Cemetery Shiloh Cemetery Solello Cemetery St Anns Steele Branch Cemetery Stephenson Cemetery Stockdale Catholic Church Cemetery Stockdale City Cemetery Sutherland Springs Cemetery Thornton Ranch Cemetery Three Oaks Cemetery Trial Family Cemetery Union Valley Cemetery Unity Cemetery unknown (E of Lutheran Cem) Unknown Cemetery #2 Unknown Cemetery #3 Unknown Graves Valdez Cemetery Vollrath Cemetery Walker-Edwards Wheeler Family Cemetery Wyatt Cemetery Ximeniz Cemetery Zion Fair Baptist
In the early 1800s, the region that is now Wilson County was part of the DeWitt Colony, a settlement established by Green DeWitt. The area played a crucial role in the Texas Revolution, with the Battle of Refugio taking place nearby in 1836. As the conflict between Texas colonists and Mexican forces raged on, the region became a hotbed of activity and witnessed significant military actions.
Wilson County was officially established in 1860, named in honor of James Charles Wilson, a Texas state legislator who fought in the battle of San Jacinto. The county experienced rapid growth in the 19th century due to the establishment of ranching and farming communities. Cattle ranching became a prominent industry, and the arrival of the railroad in the late 1800s further boosted economic development.
The county faced challenges in the 20th century, including the Great Depression, which resulted in a decline in agricultural productivity. However, the discovery of oil and gas reserves brought renewed economic prosperity to the area. Today, Wilson County is known for its diverse economy, which includes agriculture, oil and gas production, and manufacturing. The region has preserved much of its historical heritage and continues to celebrate its unique cultural and historical significance.
Brief timeline of the history of Wilson County, Texas:
- February 13, 1854 - Wilson County established by the Texas legislature
- 1856 - County seat established in Floresville
- Late 1800s - Growth in agriculture sector, primarily cotton farming
- 1902 - Construction of the Wilson County Courthouse completed
- 1930s - Economic decline due to the Great Depression
- 1940s - World War II leads to increased military presence in the area
- Mid-1960s - Oil and gas production becomes a significant industry
- 1970s - Growth in population and expansion of Floresville
- 1998 - The Floresville Peanut Festival established
- 2010 - Rapid population growth and increased development
This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Wilson County, Texas.