National Register Listings in
Williamson County, Texas

Amos, Martin C., House Arnold-Torbet House Atkinson House Belford Historic District Bowlen House Bryson Stage Coach Stop Burcham House Casey House Caswell House Chesser-Morgan House Cooper, Jesse and Sara, House Daughtrey, E. M., House Dickey, Dr. James L., House Dimmitt, John J., House Easley, S. A., House First Methodist Church Fowler, D. D., House Georgetown Light and Water Works Harper-Chesser House Harrell, Moses, House Harris, E. M., House Hawnen, A. W., House Hewitt, M. S., House House at 214 W. University House at 801 West House at 907 Pine Hutto Commercial Historic District Hyer, Dr. Robert, House Imhoff House Inn at Brushy Creek Irvine, George, House Johnson, J. J., Farm Lane-Riley House Leake, Will and Mary, House Leavell, John, House Lockett, M. B. and Annie, House Love, Frank and Mellie, House Makemson, W. K. and Kate, House McFadin House McKnight-Ebb House McMurray House Merrell, Capt. Nelson, House Miller-Ellyson House Old Georgetown High School Olive Street Historic District Paige-DeCrow-Weir House Patrick, Woodson and Margaret, House Pegues House Preslar-Hewitt Building Price, R. H. and Martha, House Railroad Produce Depot Reedy, J. H., House Round Rock Commercial Historic District Round Rock Post Office and William M. Owen House Rouser House Saint John's Methodist Church Sansom-Schmalenbeck House Saxon Motor Car Store Sillure, A. W., House Southwestern University Administration Building and Mood Hall Stone, Robert and Lula, House Taylor Downtown Historic District Taylor High School Campus Taylor National Bank Taylor-Cooper House Tinnen House University Avenue-Elm Street Historic District Vaden, W. C. and Kate, House Wesley Chapel A.M.E Church Wilcox, D. K. and Inez, House Wilcox-Graves House Williamson County Courthouse Historic District (Boundary Increase) Williamson County Courthouse Historical District Zidell House
Available on Amazon
Texas was once a part of Mexico but gained independence in 1836 after a famous battle at the Alamo.
Williamson County, located in central Texas, has a rich and diverse history that dates back thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Tonkawa, Comanche, and Lipan Apache. These tribes thrived on the abundant natural resources and utilized the land for hunting and gathering.

The region was first settled by European pioneers in the mid-19th century. The establishment of Fort Tumlinson in 1839 provided protection to settlers, and the population grew steadily with the arrival of more immigrants in search of new opportunities. In 1848, the county was officially organized and named after Robert McAlpin Williamson, a judge and soldier in the Republic of Texas.

During the Civil War, Williamson County faced significant challenges. Many residents joined the Confederate Army, and the county became a hotbed of conflict due to its location on the frontier between Union and Confederate territories. After the war, the area was able to rebuild and experienced a period of economic growth, driven by agriculture, cattle ranching, and the emergence of small towns and rural communities.

In the 20th century, Williamson County continued to develop and adapt to changing times. The discovery of oil in the early 1900s brought economic prosperity to the region, and the county experienced a boom in population and infrastructure. Today, Williamson County is a thriving part of the greater Austin metropolitan area, known for its strong economy, vibrant communities, and commitment to preserving its historical roots.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Williamson County, Texas.

  • 1804 - The area that is now Williamson County is settled by Native American tribes, including the Tonkawa, Lipan Apache, and Comanche.
  • 1836 - Texas gains independence from Mexico.
  • 1838 - The Texas legislature establishes Williamson County, named after Robert McAlpin Williamson, a leader in the fight for Texas independence.
  • 1848 - The Mexican-American War ends and the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is signed, officially establishing the Rio Grande as the boundary between Texas and Mexico.
  • 1850 - The population of the county reaches 1,027.
  • 1876 - The Texas State Capitol building is completed in Austin, which becomes the seat of government for Williamson County.
  • 1881 - The International-Great Northern Railroad reaches Georgetown, bringing economic growth and development to the county.
  • 1907 - The county courthouse, located in Georgetown, is completed.
  • 1930s - The Great Depression hits Williamson County, causing a decline in the local economy.
  • 1950s - The county experiences a period of growth and prosperity, with the population increasing significantly.
  • 1990s - Development and suburbanization accelerate in Williamson County, with the county becoming one of the fastest-growing areas in the United States.