Historical Markers in
Wharton County, Texas

Albert Clinton Horton Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery Boling Boling United Methodist Church Camp Zion Missionary Baptist Church Captain W. E. Heard Home Chesterville Cemetery City of Wharton Community of Egypt Culp Krueger Danevang Danevang Community Hall (Danevang Forsamlingshus) Egypt Plantation Egypt Plantation Cemetery Egypt, Community of El Campo El Campo First Baptist Church El Campo Independent School District El Campo Library Building Elkins, Nettie, House First Baptist Church of Wharton First Christian Church of El Campo First National Bank of El Campo First United Methodist Church of Wharton Frazarville G. C. and Clara Mick Home Garrett, John and Sophie, House Glen Flora Glen Flora Plantation Holy Cross Catholic Parish Hudgins Family Cemetery Irrigation and the Development of Agriculture in Lane City, Texas J. D. Hudgins Ranch Joseph A. Hamilton House Joseph and Rachel Rabb Newman Josiah Dawson Hudgins Judge Edwin Hawes House Judge George E. Quinan K.J.T. St. Wenceslaus Society No. 40 Lissie United Methodist Church Louise Methodist Church Marion Wesley (Baldy) Crowell New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad and The Community of Hungerford Pierce Ranch House Security Bank and Trust Company Shanghai Pierce Ranch Shanghai Pierce Ranch House Shearith Israel Synagogue Site Of Pierce Hotel Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater Site of Post West Bernard Station Site of Quinan Community Site of The Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church St. Paul Lutheran Church St. Philip the Apostle Catholic Parish St. Thomas' Episcopal Church Texas Gulf Sulphur Company-Newgulf The Judge Robert McAlpin Williamson Home Webb, Mack Hardware Store Wharton Cemetery Wharton County Wharton County Abstract Company Wharton County Courthouse Wharton County Historical Museum William Jones Elliot Heard and Egypt Plantation
The University of Texas at Austin, founded in 1883, is one of the largest universities in the United States and has produced many notable alumni, including several U.S. presidents.
Wharton County, Texas, is located in the southeastern part of the state. The area that is now known as Wharton County was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Karankawa and the Apache. In the early 1820s, Anglo-American settlers began to arrive in the region, attracted by the fertile soil and abundant wildlife.

In 1846, the Texas legislature established Wharton County, named after brothers William Harris Wharton and John Austin Wharton, who were prominent figures in the Texas Revolution. The county was officially organized in 1848, with the town of Wharton selected as the county seat. The growth of the county was fueled by the development of the railroads, which provided transportation for agricultural products such as cotton, corn, and cattle.

During the Civil War, Wharton County was heavily affected by the conflict. Many of the county's residents supported the Confederacy, with several military units being raised in the area. However, the county also had a significant number of Union sympathizers, leading to tensions and conflicts within the community. After the war, the county gradually recovered and experienced economic growth, with new industries such as oil and gas exploration contributing to its prosperity.

Today, Wharton County is a diverse community with a strong agricultural base. The county is known for its rice and cattle production, as well as its oil and gas industries. It is also home to several historical sites, including the Wharton County Courthouse, which was built in 1889 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. With its rich history and thriving economy, Wharton County continues to be an important part of Texas's cultural and economic landscape.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Wharton County, Texas.

  • 1846: Wharton County is established by the Texas legislature
  • 1848: The first settlements are established in the county
  • 1849: The town of Wharton is founded and becomes the county seat
  • 1850: The population of the county is 1,075
  • 1861-1865: Wharton County residents participate in the American Civil War
  • 1881: The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway reaches Wharton County
  • 1900: The Galveston hurricane devastates the county, causing widespread destruction
  • 1930: The county's population reaches its peak at 39,195
  • 1965: The construction of the Wharton County Junior College is completed
  • 1985: The county courthouse is added to the National Register of Historic Places