Hill Cemetery

a.k.a. Hill-Hirsch

Zion Hill Cemetery Rd, Texas 75851
Location: Contact owner before visit. From Trinity, northeast on SH 94 to Glendale Community and Glendale-Holly Road. West .5 miles on Glendale-Holly Road to Glendale Road. NW on Glendale Road 3.7 miles to Hirsch property on east side and private gravel road with “H” on gate. Follow road east .2 miles to pasture gate on right (south) side. Follow pasture road due south .1 miles to cemetery on hill in grove of trees and crape myrtles in cattle pasture.This site is in the cattle pasture of Bubba Hirsch, and not fenced, in an overgrown wooded area. The trees in and around the site are falling and causing damage to the site. There are many unmarked graves and scattered stones throught the area. There are two fenced plots, one still up and visited by family, and another other around a CSA vet has fallen. Hirsch allows family to visit the site. There are many handcarved inscriptions in field and sandstone that are almost illegible. Only 10 stones were visible at site visits, most of which were broken and displaced from cattle and fallen trees. Many crape myrtles are at the site.

Source: RIP Fields Table

To address the problem of cemetery destruction and to record as many cemeteries as possible, the Texas Historical Commission offers the Historic Texas Cemetery designation.

The Historic Texas Cemetery designation was developed in 1998 to help protect historic cemeteries by recording cemetery boundaries in county deed records to alert present and future owners of land adjacent to the cemetery of its existence. Every county in Texas has at least one cemetery designated as a Historic Texas Cemetery through this program. The HTC designation is the first step toward preservation of a historic cemetery.

A cemetery is eligible for designation if it is at least 50 years old and is deemed worthy of recognition for its historical associations. The very nature of a cemetery being a landmark of a family’s or community’s presence is considered to validate the criteria of historical associations. Any individual, organization, or agency may submit a request for designation.

Loading...
The University of Texas at Austin, founded in 1883, is one of the largest universities in the United States and has produced many notable alumni, including several U.S. presidents.
Trinity County, Texas, was established on August 11, 1850, and named after the Trinity River that flows through the region. The native Karankawa, Caddo, and Atakapa tribes inhabited the area for thousands of years before European settlers arrived. In the early 19th century, Stephen F. Austin's colonists began to settle in the Trinity River Valley, establishing communities such as Trinity, Pennington, and Groveton, which served as trading posts for fur trappers and pioneers.

During the Civil War, Trinity County, like other parts of Texas, was predominantly pro-Confederate. The county contributed soldiers to the Confederate Army and faced several Union invasions. After the war, Trinity County faced economic challenges due to the loss of slavery and the devastation of crops and infrastructure. However, the discovery of lumber and the expansion of railroads in the late 19th century revitalized the local economy.

The timber industry became a major economic force in Trinity County during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Several sawmills were built, attracting workers and leading to the emergence of towns like Apple Springs and Pennington. Logging became a vital industry, with timber being transported via the railroads to markets across Texas and beyond. However, unsustainable logging practices eventually led to a decline in the industry, and today, forestry remains an important aspect of the county's economy.

In recent years, Trinity County has embraced its natural resources, including its pristine rivers, lakes, and forests, to develop tourism and recreational opportunities. Outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, boating, and hiking attract visitors from across the state. The county's rich history, marked by its Native American heritage, the Civil War era, and the lumber industry, is preserved in museums and historic sites, providing a glimpse into Trinity County's past.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Trinity County, Texas.

  • Founded in 1846 as part of Houston County
  • 1848 - Trinity County was officially established as a separate county
  • 1850 - Population of Trinity County was 1,027
  • 1853 - The county seat was established in Sumpter
  • 1873 - The county seat was moved to Pennington
  • 1890 - The county seat was moved to Groveton
  • 1890s - Timber industry became a major economic driver
  • 1930s - Depression era brought economic challenges to the county
  • 1944 - Construction of the Trinity River Authority Dam began
  • 1952 - Trinity Dam was completed, forming Lake Livingston
  • Present - Trinity County continues to be known for its natural beauty, outdoor recreation, and timber industry