National Register Listings in
Tom Green County, Texas

Angelo Heights Historic District Aztec Cleaners and Laundry Building Beck, Frederick, Farm Blakeney, J. B., House Broome, C. A., House Brown, R. Wilbur, House Building at 113-119 East Concho Clayton House Collyns House Develin House Eckert House Emmanuel Episcopal Church First Presbyterian Church Fisher, O. C., Federal Building Fort Concho Historic District Freeze Building Greater St. Paul AME Church Hagelstein Commercial Building Hall, R. A., House Harris Drug Store Henderson, S. L., House Hilton Hotel Holcomb-Blanton Print Shop House at 1017 South David House at 123 Allen House at 1325 South David House at 140 Allen House at 1621 North Chadbourne House at 221 North Magdalen House at 405 Preusser House at 419 West Avenue C House at 421 West Twohig House at 427 West Twohig House at 521 West Highland Boulevard House at 715 Austin House at 731 Preusser Household Furniture Co. Iglesia Santa Maria Lone Wolf Crossing Bridge Mason-Hughes House Masonic Lodge 570 McClelland, J. T. and Minnie, House Monogram Square Montgomery Ward Building Municipal Swimming Pool Murrah House Oakes Hotel Building Princess Ice Cream Co. Rackley, J. J., Building Roosevelt Hotel San Angelo City Hall San Angelo National Bank Building San Angelo National Bank, Johnson and Taylor, and Schwartz and Raas Buildings San Angelo Telephone Company Building Santa Fe Passenger Depot Santa Fe Railway Freight Depot Schneemann, William, House Shepperson House Texas Highway Department Building, Warehouse and Motor Vehicle Division Tom Green County Courthouse Tom Green County Jail Walsh, C. C., House Wardlaw, Dr. Herbert A., House West Texas Utilities Office Westbrook, John C., House Willeke, John and Anton, House Willeke, John, Jr., House Willeke, John, Sr., House Woodward, Dr. M. M., House
In the late 19th century, Texas became known for its cattle drives, in which cowboys would move herds of cattle from Texas to railheads in Kansas and other northern states. The cattle drives were dangerous and difficult work, but they played a key role in the development of the American cattle industry.
Tom Green County is located in West Texas and was named after Thomas Green, a Texas patriot. The history of the county dates back to the mid-1800s when it was inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Lipan Apache and Comanche. Native American settlements gradually declined in the area with the arrival of European settlers, especially after the establishment of Fort Concho in 1867.

In the late 1800s, the county began to attract settlers looking for opportunities in ranching and agriculture. This period saw an influx of farmers and ranchers who developed the land for cattle and sheep grazing, as well as growing crops such as cotton, corn, and wheat. The population increased significantly during this time, leading to the official organization of Tom Green County in 1874.

The county experienced rapid growth during the late 19th century, thanks to the establishment of Fort Concho and the expansion of the railroad. Fort Concho served as a primary military post protecting settlements against Native American raids and fostered economic growth by providing stability and resources to the region. Additionally, the arrival of the railroad in the 1880s further spurred economic development, making transportation of goods easier and stimulating trade.

In the early 20th century, Tom Green County faced several challenges, including droughts and the Great Depression. However, the county managed to overcome these obstacles and continued to thrive. Today, Tom Green County is known for its agriculture, oil and gas production, and as a center for healthcare and education. With a rich history that encompasses Native American heritage, frontier life, military significance, and economic growth, Tom Green County has played a vital role in the development of West Texas.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Tom Green County, Texas.

  • 1874 - Tom Green County is organized and named after Confederate General Thomas Green.
  • 1882 - The first courthouse in Tom Green County is built in the city of Ben Ficklin.
  • 1884 - San Angelo becomes the county seat after a contentious election.
  • 1886 - The Texas and Pacific Railway line is extended to San Angelo, boosting the city's economy.
  • 1899 - San Angelo is incorporated as a city.
  • 1928 - Goodfellow Air Force Base is established as a training facility during World War II.
  • 1952 - Construction of the O.H. Ivie Reservoir begins on the Colorado River near San Angelo.
  • 1995 - The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts opens.
  • 2002 - San Angelo experiences a devastating flood, causing significant damage to the city.
  • 2015 - The San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo celebrates its 83rd anniversary.