Historical Markers in
Robertson County, Texas

A Century of the Methodist Church Adams-White Place Allen Hardware Store Andrew (Rube) Foster Bald Prairie Cemetery Bald Prairie Church of Christ Barton Home Big Brazos Bridge Brazos Manufacturing Company, C. S. A. Bremond Calvert Jewish Cemetery Camp Creek Cemetery Camp Hearne, World War II Prisoner of War Camp Captain Henry Reed Casimir Drugstore Church of the Epiphany Citizens Bank & Trust Co. Building City of Hearne Cobb's Market Colored Graveyard in the Old Town of Hearne, The Dr. Benjamin F. Hammond Dunn Cemetery Ebenezer Hearne Cemetery Edward McMillan El Camino Real First Baptist Church of Bremond First Baptist Church of Calvert First Baptist Church of Hearne First Presbyterian Church Former Calvert Courthouse Franklin Franklin Carnegie Library Franklin Cemetery Franklin North and South Cemetery General Walter Washington Williams Grace United Methodist Church Greater Riverside Cemetery Heards Prairie Cemetery Home Area of Chinese Farmers Howard House Isaac Phillip Stem Jacques Adoue Building Joseph and Catherine Bartula Katy Hamman Stricker Library Love High School Mistrot-Adoue House Nesbitt Cemetery and Beck Prairie Baptist Church New Baden New Hope Missionary Baptist Church Norwood Cemetery Old Calvert Foundry and Manufacturing Company Old Cavitt House Old Franklin Paul Bremond Philen House Randolph-Field Place Rev. Robert Crawford Robert Cyrus Allen Home Robertson County Robertson County Courthouse Sheriff Bob Reeves Shiloh Baptist Church Site of Elmo Baptist Church Site of Extinct Town of Hammond Site of Harvey Massacre Site of Owensville Sneed Memorial Methodist Church St. Mary's Catholic Church St. Paul United Methodist Church St. Phillips Episcopal Staggers Point Sterling Cemetery Stricker-Sneed House Suggs Cemetery The Parish Carriage House Thompson Cemetery Town of Calvert Virginia Field Park Walnut Creek Cemetery Wheelock Wheelock Wilson Chapel Cemetery Wilson Chapel Cemetery Wootan Wells
The city of Austin, the state capital, is known as the live music capital of the world. It is home to many music festivals, including South by Southwest (SXSW) and the Austin City Limits Music Festival.
Robertson County, Texas, located in the southeastern part of the state, has a rich and diverse history dating back to the early 19th century. The county was named after Sterling C. Robertson, a prominent empresario, or land agent, who played a significant role in the colonization of the region. The area was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Caddo and the Bidai, prior to European settlement.

In 1837, the Texas Congress officially established Robertson County as one of the original counties of the Republic of Texas. During this time, the county experienced rapid growth with the influx of settlers from the United States, particularly from southern states such as Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. These settlers primarily relied on agriculture, with cotton becoming a major cash crop in the region.

The county also played a significant role in the Texas Revolution and the subsequent formation of the Republic of Texas. The Battle of San Jacinto, a decisive battle that secured Texas independence from Mexico, took place just outside the county's borders in April 1836. Several notable figures from Texas history, including Sam Houston, were also closely tied to Robertson County.

Over the years, Robertson County has continued to thrive, with the economy diversifying beyond agriculture. While farming and ranching still remain important industries, the county has also seen growth in manufacturing, healthcare, and tourism sectors. Today, Robertson County is known for its small towns, rural beauty, and historical sites, attracting visitors and residents alike with its charming Southern atmosphere and rich cultural heritage.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Robertson County, Texas.

  • 1837: Robertson County is established from Milam County.
  • 1846: The first county seat, Springfield, is established.
  • 1854: The county seat is moved to Owensville.
  • 1870: The town of Calvert becomes the county seat.
  • 1873: The Houston and Texas Central Railway reaches Calvert.
  • 1890: The St. Louis Southwestern Railway reaches Hearne.
  • 1925: A portion of Robertson County is used to create Falls County.
  • 1942: Camp Hearne, a World War II prisoner-of-war camp, is established.
  • 1987: The Hearne Southern Pacific depot is added to the National Register of Historic Places.