Orange County, Texas
Abraham Winfree Absolam Jett Alexander Gilmer Atakapan Indians of Orange County B. H. Norsworthy Black Education in Orange County Black Education in Orange County Bland-Bazzano House Captain George M. Levingston Charles Holmes Saxon Claiborne West Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown Cow Bayou Swing Bridge Cox House David Robert Wingate Dr. Samuel M. Brown Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson Emma George Latchem Emma Henderson Wallace Evergreen Cemetery First Baptist Church First Baptist Church of Orange First Christian Church of Orange First National Bank of Orange First United Methodist Church of Orange George Alexander Pattillo Henry Jacob Lutcher Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark Hollywood Community Cemetery Home of Jimmy O. Sims Homesite of Dr. Edgar William Brown Hugh Ochiltree Jackson-Hustmyre House Jerome Swinford Joe and Annie Lucas House John Cole Homestead John Harmon John Thomas Stark Jorgensen House Leonard Frederick Benckenstein Levingston Shipbuilding Company and Edward T. Malloy Linscomb Cemetery Linscomb, Joseph Lutcher & Moore Lumber Company Lutcher Memorial Church Building Madison Lodge No. 126, A. F. & A. M. Madison Lodge No. 126, A.F.&A.M (suppl pl) Mauriceville Miss Laura Chandler's Private School Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church Niblett's Bluff (suppl pl) Niblett's Bluff C. S. A. Office of the Supervisor of Shipbuilding and Consolidated Steel Corporation Old First Orange Baptist Church Orange Chamber of Commerce Orange County Orange County and the Civil War Orange Dairy Company Orange Southern Pacific Depot Orangefield Peyton Bland Putnam B. Curry Rainbow Bridge Riverside Addition: World War II Housing in Orange Robert B. Russell Saint Paul Christian Methodist Episcopal Church Salem United Methodist Church Samuel H. Levingston Samuel Wallace Sholars, M.D. Site of End of the Line Station Site of The Kishi Colony Site of World War II P. O. W. Camp St. Mary's Catholic Church St. Paul's Episcopal Church St. Therese Catholic Church The City of Orange The Emmett Beuhler House The Howell-Linscomb Home The Neyland-Gilmer House The Orange Leader The Sawmill Industry in Orange County The Woman's Club of Orange U. S. S. Aulick United States Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility W. H. Stark House Weaver Shipbuilding West End Park William Henry Stark William Williamson Winfree Baptist Church Woodmen of the World Lodge Building
Spanish explorers first arrived in the area in the 16th century, and French explorers followed shortly after. However, it was not until the early 19th century that permanent European settlement began in the present-day Orange County. The region became a part of the United States through the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, and during the mid-1800s, the area attracted an influx of immigrants, primarily from the southern United States, seeking fertile land for farming.
The establishment of a port on the Sabine River in the mid-19th century greatly contributed to the growth and development of Orange County. The town of Orange was founded in 1836, and the advent of steamboats allowed for increased trade and transportation. The region's economy prospered with the lumber industry becoming a major player. Sawmills and logging camps emerged, and Orange County became a leading producer of timber.
In the early 20th century, the discovery of oil and the subsequent establishment of oil refineries provided an economic boost to Orange County. The region attracted oil companies and their employees, leading to rapid growth and increased prosperity. Today, Orange County continues to thrive with a diverse economy that includes industries such as petrochemicals, shipbuilding, agriculture, and tourism, while still preserving its historical roots and cultural heritage.
Brief timeline of the history of Orange County, Texas:
- 1690 - The area now known as Orange County was explored by Spanish explorers.
- 1821 - Mexico gains independence from Spain, and the region becomes part of Mexico.
- 1836 - Texas declares independence from Mexico, and Orange County becomes a part of the Republic of Texas.
- 1852 - Orange County is officially established as a county in the state of Texas.
- 1861-1865 - Orange County, like the rest of Texas, is a part of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War.
- 1895 - The city of Orange is incorporated.
- 1901 - The Spindletop oil field is discovered near Orange, leading to an economic boom in the area.
- 1903 - The City of Orange Heights is incorporated.
- 1938 - The American Bridge Company opens a shipyard in Orange, contributing to the area's growth.
- 1951 - The Mauriceville education system is consolidated into the Little Cypress Consolidated Independent School District.
- 1973 - The City of West Orange is incorporated.
This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Orange County, Texas.