Historical Markers in
Nacogdoches County, Texas

100th Anniversary of Oil in Nacogdoches County 1796 Spanish Colonial Rancho of Bernardo D'Ortolan Adolphus Sterne House Alton W. Birdwell Ancient Mound Angelina Austin Building Barret, Lyne, Texas Oil Man Battle of Nacogdoches Bethel Cemetery Birdwell Field, Aikman Gym and the Women's Recreation Center Bivouac & Banq. for New Orleans' Greys Brewer Cemetery Brewer Cemetery Burrows - Millard House Camp Chireno, World War II P.O.W. Camp Captain Domingo Ramon Captain Hayden Arnold Charles Standfield Taylor Chas. Hoya Land Office Chireno Lower Cemetery Christ Episcopal Church City of Appleby Cove Springs Cemetery Diedrich Anton Wilhelm Rulfs Dr. Joseph William Kennedy, Jr Dr. Robert Anderson Irion Durst - Taylor House E. J. Campbell School Elias E. Hamilton Fairview Church Cemetery First Baptist Church of Nacogdoches First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches Franciscan Friars in East Texas General Thomas J. Rusk Gingerbread House Governor Marquis de San Miguel de Aguayo Governor Martin de Alarcon in East Texas Haden Edwards Halfway Inn (Flournoy - Granberry House) Harmony Cemetery Helpenstell Cemetery Home of Adolphus Sterne Home of Peter Ellis Bean Hotel Wiley In Memory of Thomas F. McKinney Ingraham Building Jacobs Chapel Cemetery John Balch John R. Clute John S. Roberts Karle Wilson Baker Kelsey Harris Douglass La Calle Real del Norte Lazarine Cemetery Libby Community Cemetery Lindsey House Linn Flat Cemetery "Los Ojos de Padre Margil" ("The Eyes of Father Margil") Louis Juchereau de St. Denis McKnight Cemetery Milam Lodge #2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Texas Mission Concepcion, 1716 Site of Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de los Hainais Mount Sterling Nacogdoches Nacogdoches County Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office Nacogdoches University Nicholas Adolphus Sterne Nine Flags of Nacogdoches Oak Grove Cemetery Oil Springs, Texas First Oil Well Old Nacogdoches University Old Nacogdoches University Building Old North Church Cemetery Old "Red" House Old Spanish Cemetery Old Spanish Cemetery Old Stone Fort On This Site Stood for a Century an Old Stone House Original Location of Sacred Heart Catholic Church Paul Lewis Boynton Pioneer Texas Oil Man: Lyne Taliaferro Barret Pioneering Higher Education in East Texas Presidio Nuestra Senora de Los Dolores Presidio Nuestra Senora de los Dolores de los Tejas Rock Springs Cemetery Rusk Building Sam Houston's First Home in Texas Sam P. Smith Place San Patricio Rancho Shay Locomotive No. 2005 Site of Bivouac and Banquet for The New Orleans' Greys Site of "El Atascoso" Site of First Home Owned by General Sam Houston Site of Old North Church Site of "Old Soledad" Site of Pattonia Site of the Home of Antonio Gil y Barbo Site of the Home of Charles S. Taylor Site of the Home of James Dill Site of the Home of John S. Roberts Site of the Home of Juan Antonio Padilla Site of the Home of Thomas J. Rusk Site of the Home of William Clark, Jr. Site of the Mission Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Site of the Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisma Conception Site of the Mission San Jose de Los Nazonis Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College During World War II Stephen Fuller Austin Stone Fort Museum Texas Stagecoaches, C.S.A. The Daily Sentinel The Homesite of Raphael D'Ortolan The Millard - Lee House The Roland Jones House The Sparks House The University Tradition in Nacogdoches Thomas Jefferson Rusk Thomas Young Buford Tol Barret House Town of Douglass United States Occupation of Nacogdoches Washington Square Washington Square Westminster Presbyterian Church William ("Bill") Goyens William Clark, Jr. Wisely Hall Women's Army Corps School Zion Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Zion Hill First Baptist Church
Texas was once a part of Mexico but gained independence in 1836 after a famous battle at the Alamo.
Nacogdoches County, Texas has a rich and deeply rooted history. The area's first inhabitants were indigenous Native American tribes, including the Caddo and Lipan Apache. European exploration reached the region in the early 18th century, with Spanish explorers establishing missions and settlements. Nacogdoches, founded in 1779, is the oldest town in Texas and served as a vital center for trade and commerce during the Spanish and Mexican periods.

During the Texas Revolution, Nacogdoches County played a significant role. It became a hotbed of support for the Texian cause, hosting important political meetings and serving as a training ground for volunteers. In 1836, General Sam Houston rallied troops in Nacogdoches before leading them to victory in the Battle of San Jacinto, securing Texas' independence from Mexico.

The county's economy flourished in the mid-19th century, driven by the booming lumber industry. Abundant pine forests attracted sawmills, leading Nacogdoches to become known as the "Gateway City to the Piney Woods." Railroads further facilitated economic growth, linking the area to major markets and fueling the development of thriving towns.

In the 20th century, Nacogdoches County continued to evolve, diversifying its economy beyond lumber and timber. The establishment of Stephen F. Austin State University in 1923 brought educational and cultural opportunities to the area. Today, Nacogdoches County retains its rich historical character while embracing modernization, attracting visitors with its vibrant downtown, historical sites, and natural beauty.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Nacogdoches County, Texas.

  • 1721 - Spanish settlers establish a mission called Nuestra SeƱora de Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches, marking the earliest European presence in the area.
  • 1779 - Nacogdoches becomes the easternmost settlement in Spanish Texas when the Spanish government authorizes the town's relocation.
  • 1826 - Mexican authorities officially separate Nacogdoches from the Department of Bexar and establish it as a municipality.
  • 1836 - The Battle of Nacogdoches occurs during the Texas Revolution, with Texian forces defeating Mexican troops.
  • 1838 - Nacogdoches becomes the first English-speaking settlement to be incorporated by the Republic of Texas.
  • 1845 - Nacogdoches County is established as one of the original counties of the newly admitted state of Texas.
  • 1870 - The arrival of railroads spurs economic growth and development in Nacogdoches County.
  • 1902 - Stephen F. Austin State Normal School (now Stephen F. Austin State University) is established in Nacogdoches.
  • 1938 - The Texas State Railroad begins operating, providing transportation for timber and passengers.
  • 1986 - The Nacogdoches Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • 1989 - The Texas Legislature designates Nacogdoches as the "Oldest Town in Texas" due to its long history of continuous settlement.
  • 2005 - Nacogdoches experiences significant damage and power outages due to Hurricane Rita.
  • 2010 - The population of Nacogdoches County reaches over 64,000 residents.