Historical Markers in
Montgomery County, Texas

Baker Cemetery Bay's Chapel Cemetery Bay's Chapel Methodist Church Bennett's Early Homesite Cathalorri Charles Bellinger Stewart Conroe Conroe Fire of 1911 Conroe Oil Field Conroe Telephone Exchange Crane Family Cabin Crater Hill Davis Law Office Decker Prairie Cemetery Elder Home (RAZED) Elizabeth Shaw Cartwright Cemetery Esperanza First State Bank of Montgomery Former Homesite of Joseph L. Bennett Frontier Colonial Home George Bell Madeley Cemetery J. S. Griffith Home Jacob Shannon Evergreen Cemetery Jacob Shannon Evergreen Cemetery James Jordan (Jardine) Log House John M. Wade Lake Creek Settlement M. B. Steger Home Mabin Alexander Anderson Magnolia Magnolia Magnolia Cemetery Magnolia Depot Magnolia Methodist Matthew W. Cartwright Methodist Church Site, Mem. to Circuit Riders Methodist Parsonage Montgomery Baptist Church Building Montgomery County Montgomery County Courthouses Montgomery County, C. S. A. Montgomery Memorial Cemetery Montgomery Trading Post Montgomery United Methodist Church, Site of Mt. Pleasant Cemetery N. H. Davis Cottage New Bethlehem Cemetery New Caney New Cemetery of Montgomery Noah Griffith and Esther Wightman Griffith Oklahoma Cemetery Oklahoma School Old Dr. Wm. P. Powell Home Pool's Cemetery Reinhardt Homestead Reuben Jonathan Palmer Secretaries of State Shelton-Smith House Simonton Home Site of Former Town of Danville Site of the Home of Dr. Charles B. Stewart Site of Willis Cigar Factory Sunday-Moore House Telegraph Road The Griffith Homesite and Cemetery The Isaac Conroe Property The Old Methodist Churchyard The Railroad in Montgomery The Richard Williams Cemetery The W. A. "Bay" Evans Home Thomas Chapel United Methodist Church Town of Montgomery West Fork of The San Jacinto River William Cartwright William S. Taylor William Womack Home Willis Willis Male and Female College Willis Methodist Church Wood-Valda Home
In the late 19th century, Texas became known for its cattle drives, in which cowboys would move herds of cattle from Texas to railheads in Kansas and other northern states. The cattle drives were dangerous and difficult work, but they played a key role in the development of the American cattle industry.
Montgomery County, located in southeast Texas, has a rich history dating back thousands of years. The region was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Atakapa and Bidai peoples, who relied on the abundant natural resources of the forests, rivers, and prairies.

In the early 19th century, European settlers began to arrive in the area, attracted by the fertile land and opportunities for trade. The region's first settlement, Montgomery, was established in 1822 and quickly became a center for the burgeoning lumber industry. The town was named after the commander of the Battle of the Alamo, General Richard Montgomery.

The growth of Montgomery County continued throughout the 19th century as more settlers arrived and industries such as agriculture and oil production developed. The discovery of oil in 1931 in the nearby East Texas Oil Field brought economic prosperity to the county, attracting new businesses and residents. The booming oil industry fueled development and expansion, transforming the area into a thriving community.

In recent decades, Montgomery County has experienced rapid population growth and suburbanization. The county's proximity to Houston, combined with its natural beauty and amenities, has attracted many families and businesses. Today, Montgomery County is known for its diverse economy, including sectors such as healthcare, manufacturing, tourism, and agriculture. The county also offers a high quality of life with its excellent schools, recreational opportunities, and strong sense of community.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Montgomery County, Texas.

  • 1837 - Montgomery County was established on December 14, 1837.
  • 1838 - The town of Montgomery was chosen as the county seat.
  • 1842 - The first county courthouse was built in Montgomery.
  • 1850 - The population of the county was 2,253.
  • 1870 - The county seat was moved from Montgomery to Conroe.
  • 1889 - The first railroad, International and Great Northern, arrived in the county.
  • 1936 - Lake Conroe was constructed as a water supply reservoir.
  • 1970 - The population of the county exceeded 100,000.
  • 1981 - The Woodlands, a master-planned community, was founded.
  • 2001 - Montgomery County suffered significant damage from Tropical Storm Allison.
  • 2018 - The population of the county reached over 590,000.