Maverick County CourthouseEagle Pass, Texas
Built in 1885 in Romanesque Revival with Second Empire influences architectual style by architect Wahrenberger & Beckman and contractor William Hausser, Eagle Pass.
The San Antonio architectural firm of Wahrenberger and Beckman designed the Maverick County Courthouse; William Hauser, possibly of San Antonio, built it in 1885. Wahrenberger and Beckman chose to use the Romanesque Revival style with some Second Empire influences. The foundation of the building is stone masonry and the walls are constructed of solid brick masonry that has been stuccoed and painted white. The original plan was a square with a corridor extending through the center. Following a typical pattern, the main offices were located on the ground floor, and the courtroom and secondary offices were situated on the second floor. The exterior composition is somewhat unusual for Texas. On the south facade, for example, the center section is dominant with two levels of receding planes or walls flanking this central section. The center mass actually expresses the form of the second-story courtroom and is a balanced, self-contained composition. Many of the walls are articulated by pilasters. The doorways and windows of the courthouse are topped with Roman arches; the windows feature pronounced archivolts. The first level of the southern facade features triple arched windows, while the second level features singular arched windows topped with bulls-eye windows. The cornice above these two levels repeats this arched theme. The north facade is broken into two levels and does not have an entrance. A single-story brick addition has been added to this side of the courthouse. The west facade is broken only into two levels, with the center or entrance level projecting. This level features a double arched window over the arched door. The arch theme is repeated in the cornice above. The east facade is also broken into two levels. The exterior corners of the basic square plan of the building are chamfered, softening the mass. The walls are constructed of brick and accented with stringcourses and an ornamental parapet with corbeled brackets. The structure is surmounted by a clock tower, in which the arched forms of the openings in the main mass are repeated. E. Howard and Company of Boston manufactured the clock. The mansard style roof is covered with standing seam metal. The cupola's roof is of the Second Empire style. Around 1930, small additions were made to the north and east sides of the courthouse. These additions incorporate the same configurations of details as the original and are only a minor distraction from the historical appearance of the building. The more recent garage annex that connects the jail and courthouse is a more significant distraction.
1930's additions; 1979: new court building constructed on the square, only minor county functions take place in historic courthouse.
Current status: Active Courthouse