State Highway 34 Bridge at the Trinity River

a.k.a. State Highway 34 Bridge at the Trinity River;KF0173-02-008

TX 34 at the Ellis and Kaufman Cnty. line, Rosser, TX

The State Highway 34 Bridge at the Trinity River was built from 1933 to 1934 with emergency relief funds. Because of its association with a federal work relief program implemented during the Depression, the bridge meets Criterion A in the area of Transportation (subcategory Depression-era Public Works) at a state level of significance. The bridge is also significant for embodying the defining characteristics of a THD truss bridge and therefore meets National Register Criterion C in the area of Engineering at a state level of significance.

The Trinity River bridge was built on SH 34 which formed a loop running west, south, and east of Dallas. The route linked Jacksboro, Fort Worth, Waxahachie, Ennis, and Kaufman, and continued north through Greenville, Ladonia, Honey Grove, and Telephone into Oklahoma. The majority of the eastern portion of the original route, from Ennis to Honey Grove, is still designated SH 34.

As a National Recovery Secondary (NRS) project, the Trinity River Bridge project was funded almost entirely with federal emergency funds authorized under Section 204, Title II, of the National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933 (NIRA). This legislation provided federal monies to supplement state highway funds that the Depression had severely curtailed. By providing additional federal aid, NIRA helped to maintain highway construction spending at pre-Depression levels. The act's primary goal was to boost employment and establish standards for wages. Texas received nearly $25 million in emergency construction funds under this legislation; the Trinity River bridge was one of 543 Texas emergency projects funded under NIRA.

The bridge was built as part of a larger THD undertaking to reconstruct SH 34 between Ennis and the Kaufman County line on a new location. In addition to the construction of the truss bridge, the project included new roadway grading and concrete drainage structures, including the two borrow pit bridges. The borrow pits had been dug previously to provide earth for forming the Trinity River levees. Two pits were dug for each levee. Rather than haul dirt to the site to fill in the borrow pits, THD decided to construct bridges over them, probably because this was the more economical choice. The main bridge spans the Trinity River bottom as well as the two interior borrow pits. The two additional concrete structures span the exterior borrow pits.

THD prepared the plans for the project and, because it received federal aid, the Bureau of Public Roads (BPR) reviewed and approved them. Even though plans to develop navigation on the Trinity River above Liberty (northeast of Houston, near the Gulf) were abandoned in 1922, the river fell under the jurisdiction of the War Department as a navigable waterway. As such, THD was required to submit the plans to that agency for its approval.

THD bridge engineers chose the T22-150 design for the truss span of the Trinity River bridge. The T22-150, designed about 1930, is one of 25 THD standard designs the Bridge Division developed for Parker through truss spans; only 11 of these designs are represented by Texas bridges today. The Trinity River bridge is one of four examples of the T22-150 standard design surviving in Texas.

At just over 1700 feet, the Trinity River bridge is the third longest Parker through truss bridge remaining in Texas and is the earliest of the three. The bridge's 53 I-beam spans, totaling 1,556 feet, provide the second longest approach for a simple truss bridge on a Texas state highway.

The call for bids took the form of a contractor's notice published in local newspapers in early November 1933. In addition to describing the scope of the project, the notice informed bidders of special provisions under NIRA requiring "the use of domestic materials, the selection of labor, hours and conditions of employment, and hand labor methods." Under these provisions, which were implemented to increase employment levels, all carpentry work and painting had to be performed without the use of power tools, such as mechanical saws and electrical drills. THD had also disseminated these provisions in an "Important Notice to all Contractors, Materialmen, Bondsmen and Division Engineers" dated October 5, 1933.

The Texas Highway Commission opened bids for the construction of the Trinity River bridge and borrow pit bridges on November 11, 1933. After reviewing the two bids submitted, the commission awarded the contract to the Austin Bridge Company of Dallas, which submitted a low bid of about $110,000. The Petroleum Iron Works Company of Beaumont fabricated the steel portions of the truss and I-beam spans.

Work on the three bridges began on December 1, 1933, and was completed in November 1934. The THD resident engineer in Ennis supervised the construction, which engineers from both THD and BPR inspected. High water caused some difficulties during the construction of the pier foundations, but the total cost of the three structures was still below $118,000.

Local significance of the structure:
Engineering; Transportation

Listed in National Register of Historic Places in 1996.

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation’s historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America’s historic and archeological resources.

The city of Austin, the state capital, is known as the live music capital of the world. It is home to many music festivals, including South by Southwest (SXSW) and the Austin City Limits Music Festival.
Kaufman County is situated in the northeastern part of Texas and has a rich and diverse history. The area was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Caddo, Cherokee, and Comanche. European settlers began arriving in the early 19th century, and the county was officially established on March 24, 1848, named after David S. Kaufman, one of the earliest Texans to serve in the U.S. Congress.

During its early years, Kaufman County experienced growth and development, with agriculture playing a prominent role in the local economy. Farming and ranching became essential industries for the county, with cotton and livestock production leading the way. The arrival of the railroad in the late 19th century further fueled the county's growth, connecting it to major cities and facilitating trade.

In the early 20th century, Kaufman County began to modernize rapidly. The advent of the automobile allowed for better transportation and communication networks, linking the county's rural communities. The development of infrastructure, including roads and highways, further enhanced connectivity between towns. Schools, hospitals, and businesses also experienced significant advancements during this time, fostering economic growth and improving the quality of life for residents.

Today, Kaufman County continues to thrive as a suburban county with a growing population. It boasts a mix of agricultural, industrial, and residential areas, offering a blend of rural charm and urban amenities. The county's rich history is celebrated through local museums, historical sites, and community events, reminding residents and visitors alike of the importance of preserving and cherishing its past.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Kaufman County, Texas.

  • 1848 - Kaufman County is established by the Texas legislature.
  • 1852 - The first courthouse is built in the county seat of Kaufman.
  • 1857 - The first newspaper, the Kaufman Herald, is established.
  • 1861-1865 - Kaufman County residents serve in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War.
  • 1873 - Terrell is founded and becomes a major railroad hub.
  • 1886 - The Texas State Railroad extends its line into Kaufman County.
  • 1895 - The Kaufman County Courthouse is destroyed by fire and later rebuilt.
  • 1936 - Lake Ray Hubbard is created by the construction of the Rockwall-Forney Dam.
  • 1965 - Kaufman County celebrates its centennial.
  • 2013 - Tragically, Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland and his wife Cynthia are assassinated.