Historical Markers in
Erath County, Texas

Acrea Cemetery Alexander Cemetery Audie Murphy Arena Bluff Dale Suspension Bridge Bluff Dale Tabernacle Bluff Dale United Methodist Church Bowman Ridge Cemetery Brick Streets of Stephenville Cage Home Caudle Cemetery Cedar Point School Clairette Cemetery Clairette Schoolhouse Corinth Cemetery Cornelia Graves Cottonwood Baptist Church Cottonwood Cemetery Cow Creek Cemetery Crow Home Crow Opera House D. L. Harris House Daniel Roberts and Mary Anna (Garland) Thornton Davis, Lt. Col. George A., Jr. Dawson Saloon Denny Cemetery Doublin Inn Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Company Dublin National Bank Dublin Rodeo Duffau Baptist Church Duffau Cemetery Duffau School Early Commercial Building Edna Hill Community Erath Arches Erath County Courthouse Erath County Poor Farm Cemetery First Christian Church First Methodist Church of Stephenville First National Bank Building Gentry and Shelton Building Hancock Cemetery Hightower Cemetery Historic Brick Streets of Stephenville Hogan Blacksmith Shop Holt House Houston Ranch Indian Creek Cemetery J. F. Warnock Hardware John Tarleton Johnsville Cemetery Kiker's Gin Liberty Cemetery Lingleville Lingleville Tabernacle Millerville Cemetery Morgan Mill Cemetery Morgan Mill Tabernacle Mount Olive Cemetery New York Hill Oak Dale Cemetery Old Dublin Memorial Park Cemetery Old Public Water Well Oldest Home in Stephenville Oxford House Pecan Cemetery Pecan Cemetery Tabernacle Pony Creek Cemetery President's House Purves Live Oak Cemetery Purves Live Oak Cemetery Ramsey Cemetery Round Grove Baptist Church Selden Site of Hotel Knox and Thurber Mining Office Site of Thurber Big Lake and Dairy Site of Thurber Brick Plant Site of Thurber's First Coal Mine Smith Springs Cemetery St. Barbara's Catholic Church Stephenville Church of 1900 Stephenville Drug Stores Stephenville Masonic Lodge #267 The Community of Huckabay The Gallagher House The Rev. Henry Hurley Thurber Thurber Cemetery Trinity Episcopal Church Turnbow Cemetery Upper Greens Creek Cemetery Wesley Chapel Cemetery Whitehead Cemetery William H. Pate William T. Miller Grist Mill Wyatt-Boyd Ranch Complex
Texas is known for its barbecue, and one of the most famous barbecue restaurants in the state is Kreuz Market in Lockhart. The restaurant has been in operation since 1900 and is still family-owned.
Erath County, located in the central region of Texas, has a rich history that dates back to the early 1800s. The area was initially inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Comanches and Tonkawas, who roamed the region for centuries. However, the Spanish explorers were the first Europeans to arrive in the area, with the famed Pedro Vial passing through in 1785.

In the 1850s, settlers began to establish permanent communities in Erath County, attracted by the fertile land and abundant water sources. One of the earliest settlements was Stephenville, which was founded in 1856. The town grew steadily and became a significant hub for trade and commerce in the region. During this time, agriculture, particularly cattle ranching, became the backbone of the economy.

Erath County played a notable role during the Civil War, as many residents joined the Confederate Army. The county also witnessed several skirmishes and raids, as it was located on the Western Frontier, making it an important strategic point. The war had a lasting impact on the area, with the local economy suffering due to the loss of men and resources.

Following the war, Erath County experienced rapid growth and development. The arrival of the railroad in 1889 further boosted the economy and facilitated transportation. The county continued to thrive on agriculture and ranching, while also diversifying into industries such as oil and gas production. Today, Erath County remains a vibrant community, known for its ranching heritage, educational institutions like Tarleton State University, and a strong sense of community spirit.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Erath County, Texas.

  • 1854: Erath County is officially organized and named after George Bernard Erath, a Texas Ranger and surveyor.
  • 1855: The first settlers arrive in the area, primarily from Tennessee and Missouri.
  • 1860: The first post office is established in Stephenville, the county seat.
  • 1865: The Civil War ends, and Erath County begins to recover from the conflict.
  • 1870: The Texas Central Railroad is completed, bringing increased trade and development to the county.
  • 1893: Tarleton State University is founded in Stephenville.
  • 1926: Construction of US Highway 67 begins, providing improved transportation access for Erath County.
  • 1940s: The discovery of oil in the county leads to an economic boom.
  • 1990s: Erath County becomes a popular filming location for movies and television shows, including "Walker, Texas Ranger."