National Register Listings in
Ellis County, Texas

Adamson, F. R., House Alderdice, J. M., House Alderman, G. H., House Allen, I. R., House Atwood, E. K., House Barkley-Floyd House Barrington House Berry, J. S., House Boren, E. T., House Building at 441 East Main Building at 500-502 East Main Bullard, T. J., House Central Presbyterian Church Chapman, Oscar H., House Cohn, Joe, House Cole-Hipp House Coleman-Cole House Connally, Roy, House Dillon, George C., House Dunkerly, G. G., House Eastham, D. D., House Ellis County Courthouse Historic District Ennis Commercial Historic District Ennis Cotton Compress Ennis High School Erwin, J. R., House Fain House Farrar House Ferris School Forrest, W. B., House Graham, Dr. L. H., House Highway Garage Hines, E. M., House House at 104 Kaufman House at 106 East Denton House at 106 Kaufman House at 111 Brown House at 111 Williams House at 113 East Ross House at 1301 East Marvin House at 1423 Sycamore House at 301 Turner House at 320 East Marvin House at 404 East Crockett House at 418 North College House at 500 North Main, East House at 501 North Grand House at 508 North Dallas House at 509 West Brown House at 512 North Grand House at 523 Highland House at 625 Cantrell House at 700 South Rogers House at 703 South College House at 708 East Brown House at 712 East Marvin House at 722 West Madison House at 802 East Ennis House at 803 Cantrell House at 806 South Dallas House at 807 North Preston House at 810 North Preston House at 816 Cantrell House at 816 West Water House at 901 Cantrell Jolesch House Joshua Chapel A.M.E. Church Kirven, J. D., House Koger, William, House Langsford, Samuel, House Lewis, William, House Matthews-Atwood House Matthews-Templeton House McCanless-Williams House McCartney House Meredith-McDowal House Moore House Moore, W. B., House Morton House National Compress Company Building Neal House North Rogers Street Historic District Novy, Joe, House Old City Mills Oldham Avenue Historic District Oldham, Mary and Frank House Paillet House Patrick, Marshall T., House Payne, M. S., House Phillips, E. F., House Plumhoff House Ralston, Mary, House Ransom House Raphael House Ray, M. B., House Reinmiller, W. B., House Rockett, Paris Q., House Rosemont House Saint Paul's Episcopal Church Sanderson, James S., House Second Trinity University Campus Sharp House Sims, O. B., House Solon, John, House Story, Jesse and Mary, House Strickland-Sawyer House Telfair House Templeton, Judge M. B., House Thompson, D. H., House Trippet-Shive House Vickery, Richard, House Waxahachie Chautauqua Building Waxahachie Lumber Company Weatherford House Weekley, John M., House West End Historic District Williams, Porter L., House Williams-Erwin House Witten, Pat, House Wyatt Street Shotgun House Historic District
The discovery of oil in 1901 near Beaumont, Texas, sparked an oil boom that transformed the state's economy and led to the rise of the modern petroleum industry.
Ellis County, located in the state of Texas, has a rich and diverse history that dates back to the early 19th century. The county was established on December 20, 1849, and was named after Richard Ellis, president of the convention that declared Texas' independence from Mexico.

The area that is now Ellis County was initially inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Caddo and Comanche. However, in the mid-1830s, European settlers began to arrive and establish homesteads in the region. These settlers were drawn to the fertile land and opportunities for farming and ranching.

During the Civil War, Ellis County was deeply divided, with residents supporting both the Union and the Confederacy. The county was the site of several skirmishes and raids, and endured a significant amount of destruction as a result. After the war, Ellis County began to rebuild and experienced a period of growth and development.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Ellis County saw the rise of industries such as cotton farming, cattle ranching, and oil production. The arrival of the railroad in the late 1800s further fueled the county's economic growth. Today, Ellis County remains an agricultural powerhouse, with a strong presence in the cotton and cattle industries, and is also home to a diverse range of businesses and thriving communities.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Ellis County, Texas.

  • 1849 - Ellis County is established from Navarro County.
  • 1850 - Waxahachie is selected as the county seat.
  • 1853 - The county courthouse is built.
  • 1881 - The Texas Central Railroad reaches Waxahachie, boosting the local economy.
  • 1883 - Southwestern Asylum for the Insane (now known as Terrell State Hospital) opens in Terrell, impacting the county's development.
  • 1889 - A fire destroys the Ellis County courthouse.
  • 1895 - A new courthouse is completed, designed by architect J. Riely Gordon.
  • 1921 - An oil boom begins in Ellis County, leading to increased prosperity.
  • 1934 - The Federal Correctional Institution is established in Seagoville.
  • 1942 - The Naval Air Station is established in Waxahachie during World War II.
  • 1969 - Navarro College opens a campus in Waxahachie.
  • 1987 - Bluebonnet Festival debuts in Ennis, becoming an annual celebration.
  • 2007 - Baylor Scott & White Medical Center opens in Waxahachie, providing advanced healthcare services to the county.