Historical Markers in
DeWitt County, Texas

Adolph Strieber Alexander and Annie Hamilton House Allen Caruthers Arneckeville Asberry School Bellevue-Cheapside Buchel Bank Buchel Community and School Burns Station Cemetery C. Eckhardt and Sons Building Cabeza Captain John York and James Madison Bell Charles Goodwin Breeden Clinton Co-Founders of Yorktown: John York, Charles Eckhardt Concrete College County Line School, Church, and Cemetery Cuero Cuero I Archeological District Cuero Land and Immigration Company Daule School De Witt County De Witt County De Witt County Courthouse Dr. William Watt White Early Texas Bandstands Eckhardt Ranch House Emil Reiffert House English-German School First Presbyterian Church of Cuero First United Methodist Church of Cuero General August C. Buchel George Lord George W. Davis George Washington Davis Gohmert-Summers House Golly Hollow School and Community Grace Episcopal Church Gruenau Turn and Schuetzen Verein Heaton-Breeden House Hebron Community Hephzibeth Looker Taylor Hillside Cemetery Hochheim (Hoch's Home) Hochheim Cemetery Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery Holy Cross Catholic Church Holy Cross Lutheran Church Hopkinsville Community, A Colony of Freedmen J. T. Wofford Home James F. Blair James Norman Smith John T. Wofford Home Josiah Taylor Jubilee Park Pavilion Judge Henry Clay Pleasants Keller-Grunder House Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 Laging, H. W. Leonard Roy Harmon Lindenau Lindenau Community Cemetery Lithuanians in Texas Lockhart Community Cemetery Lord Cemetery May-Hickey House Meyersville Morgan Steamship Line Mount Zion Baptist Church Municipal Power Plant Nancy Shows Nordheim Shooting Club Old Chisholm Trail Peter Bluntzer Pilot Knob Proctor-Green House San Pedro Cemetery Schlinke, Charles A. Shiloh Site of Cameron, First County Seat of DeWitt County Site of Friar-Cardwell Stage Stand Site of the Home of Captain John York Site of the Home of Robert Justus Kleberg Sociedad Cementerio Union Mexicana Cemetery St. Ann's Cemetery St. John Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church St. Mark's Lutheran Church St. Michael's Catholic Church Stagecoach Inn Stagecoach Inn, 1856 Stevens Cemetery Stratton Taylor Family Cemetery Terryville The Bates-Sheppard House The Breeden House The Edward Mugge House The Five-Mile (Ratcliffe)- Rabke Community The Robert Allert House The William Frobese Home Thomas M. Stell Thomaston Thomaston Cemetery Upper Yorktown Cemetery Von Hugo-Von Clausewitz Family Cemetery Westhoff World War II Air Training School Brayton Flying Field Yoakum National Bank Yorktown Yorktown, Co-Founders Zion Arneckeville Cemetery
The discovery of oil in 1901 near Beaumont, Texas, sparked an oil boom that transformed the state's economy and led to the rise of the modern petroleum industry.
DeWitt County, located in Texas, has a rich and diverse history that stretches back to early Native American civilizations. The area was home to various indigenous tribes, including the Karankawa and Tonkawa, who utilized the region's natural resources for sustenance and trade.

In 1827, the area that is now DeWitt County was incorporated into the Mexican state of Coahuila y Tejas. Shortly after, American settlement began in the region, with empresarios such as Green DeWitt and Martín de León playing significant roles. DeWitt, for whom the county is named, received a land grant in 1825 and played a vital part in bringing Anglo-American colonizers to the area.

DeWitt County saw significant growth during the Texas Revolution in the 1830s. The Battle of Gonzales, the first engagement of the revolution, occurred just outside the county's boundaries. The county itself became a site of conflict during the revolution, with the Battle of Ethel's Woods and the Battle of Gonzales River Bridge taking place within its borders.

After Texas gained independence from Mexico, DeWitt County was officially established in 1846. The county seat was initially Gonzales, but it was moved to Cuero in 1876. Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, DeWitt County experienced economic growth due to industries such as ranching, oil, and agriculture.

Present-day DeWitt County continues to thrive as a center for agriculture, oil and gas production, and tourism. The county is known for its rich historical sites, including the Gonzales Memorial Museum, which houses artifacts from the Texas Revolution, and numerous ranches that showcase the area's strong cattle industry. DeWitt County's history is a testament to the resilience and determination of its early settlers and remains an essential part of Texas's broader historical narrative.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of DeWitt County, Texas.

  • 1827: DeWitt County is established as a part of DeWitt's Colony in Mexican Texas.
  • 1840: The Battle of Plum Creek takes place in DeWitt County during the Texan Revolution.
  • 1846: DeWitt County becomes a part of the newly formed Republic of Texas.
  • 1848: Texas becomes a state of the United States, and DeWitt County remains a part of it.
  • 1850: Population growth leads to the establishment of the county seat, Cuero.
  • 1870: The Gulf, Western Texas and Pacific Railway reaches Cuero, increasing trade and transportation opportunities.
  • 1874: Cuero is officially incorporated as a city.
  • 1893: Oil is discovered in DeWitt County, leading to economic growth and development.
  • 1923: A disastrous fire destroys much of downtown Cuero.
  • 1941-1945: DeWitt County contributes to the war effort during World War II.
  • 1960s-1970s: DeWitt County experiences a decline in population and economic activity.
  • 1990s-present: DeWitt County experiences a resurgence in oil and gas production, leading to economic growth.