Historic cemeteries in
Caldwell, Texas

Alexander Cemetery Atlanta Cemetery Blackwell-Rector Cemetery Blewett-Bluitt Cemetery Bouldin Cemetery Branyon Cemetery Brite-McMahan Cemetery Bunton Cemetery Cardwell Cemetery Cementerio Navarro Historico Cemetery Cemetero De La Colonia Mexicana Cemetery Cherry Cemetery City Cemetery Clark Cemetery Clark's Chapel Cemetery Clarks Chapel Hispanic Cemetery Clear Fork Cemetery Clearfork Baptist Cemetery Cliett Cemetery Copeland Cemetery Crayton-Spruill Cemetery Dale Cemetery Delhi Cemetery Dickerson Cemetery Dorn Cemetery Doyle Cemetery Ebbon Cemetery Ebenezer Lutheran Cemetery Elam Cemetery Fentress Community Cemetery Flemings Cemetery Flores Family Cemetery Fuqua Cemetery Garden Of The Cross Cemetery Guadalupe Cemetery Guadalupe Cemetery #1 Gunkel Family Cemetery Hall Cemetery Hall Family Cemetery Happle Cemetery Hard Shell Cemetery #1 Hard Shell Cemetery #2 Harris Cemetery Harrison Cemetery Hinds Cemetery Hook Cemetery Hopkins Grave Cemetery Huff Cemetery Humphreys Cemetery Isadora Cemetery Jeffrey Cemetery John Withers Gravesite Cemetery Johnson Perry Cemetery Jones Cemetery Joseph Lane Gravesite Cemetery Kelley Cemetery Kelly Cemetery Kennedy Cemetery Koeglar Hill Cemetery Koonsen Gravesite Cemetery Kukabur Cemetery Lane Cemetery Liberty Cemetery #1 Liberty Cemetery #2 Liberty Cemetery #3 Lincecum Cemetery Linscome Cemetery Lockhart Cemetery Lockhart City Cemetery Lockhart Mexican Cemetery Loehmann Cemetery Lone Oak Cemetery Luling Catholic Cemetery Luling City Cemetery Luling Civic Cemetery Luling Jewish Cemetery Lytton Springs Cemetery Martindale (USGS) On Quail Run Rd Cemetery Martindale City Cemetery Matthews Gravesites Cemetery Maxwell Cemetery Maxwell Hispanic Cemetery Maxwell Methodist Cemetery McNeil Cemetery McNeil Cemetery Negro Memory Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery Menzoda Cemetery Mercer Cemetery Mineral Springs Cemetery Mishenhimer Cemetery Moreno Cemetery Negro Graveyard Cemetery Neill Gravesite Cemetery Niederwald Cemetery O'Banon Cemetery Ohlendorf Cemetery Old Prairie Lea Cemetery Pettytown Cemetery Plum Creek Cemetery Polonia Cemetery Popps Cemetery Prairie Lea Cemetery Prairie Lea Hispanic Cemetery Prairie Lea Masonic Cemetery Prairie Lea Woodman Of The World Cemetery Prairie Lee Hispanic Cemetery Ramsay Grave Cemetery Ridout Cemetery Robertson Cemetery Saint John Cemetery San Juan #1 Cemetery San Juan Cemetery #1 San Juan Cemetery #2 San Juan Cemetery #3 San Pablo Cemetery Santa Maria Aida Cemetery Schawe Cemetery Smith Family Cemetery St John Cemetery St John Cemetery Taylor Cemetery Teas Cemetery Thomas-Laws Gravesite Cemetery Tuttle Cemetery Union Hill Cemetery Unknown (City Park) Cemetery Unknown (N Of Buck Branch) Cemetery Unknown (W Of Ohlendorf) Cemetery Unknown (W Of West Fork Plum Creek) Cemetery Unknown Grave (Brownsboro) Cemetery Ussery Cemetery Vogel Cemetery Weigand School Cemetery Wells Cemetery Wells Cemetery West Gravesite Cemetery Westfork Cemetery Wilkins-Hendson Cemetery Zapata Cemetery
The Texas Rangers, a famous law enforcement agency, were first organized in 1835 to protect settlers from Native American attacks.
Caldwell County, located in central Texas, has a rich and storied history dating back thousands of years. The area was first inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Tonkawa and Lipan Apache. In the 18th century, Spanish settlers began exploring and settling the region, establishing missions and ranches.

In 1834, Mexican impresario, Green DeWitt, received a land grant from the Mexican government and began attracting American settlers to the area. The town of Lockhart, named after James W. Lockhart, one of DeWitt's surveyors, was established in 1838 and became the county seat in 1848. The county was officially organized the following year.

During the Civil War, Caldwell County, like much of Texas, was divided in its loyalties. Many residents sided with the Confederacy and fought in the war, while others were Union sympathizers. The conflict left deep scars on the county, but it managed to recover and thrive in the post-war years.

Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Caldwell County's economy was primarily agricultural, with cotton being a major crop. The arrival of the railroad in the late 1800s boosted economic growth and allowed for easier transportation of goods. Over time, the county diversified its economy, with industries such as oil and gas, cattle ranching, and manufacturing becoming prominent.

Today, Caldwell County is known for its historic charm, scenic beauty, and a strong sense of community. It is home to several notable landmarks, including the Caldwell County Courthouse, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The county continues to evolve and adapt, while also preserving its rich history and heritage.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Caldwell County, Texas.

  • 1848 - The Republic of Texas holds a land lottery and grants land in the area to settlers.
  • 1849 - Caldwell County is officially established.
  • 1852 - The county seat is named Lockhart.
  • 1876 - The first courthouse in Lockhart is built.
  • 1887 - The discovery of oil in the county brings prosperity.
  • 1922 - The current Caldwell County Courthouse is constructed.
  • 1948 - The Chisholm Trail Museum is established in Lockhart.
  • 1984 - The Circuit of the Americas racetrack is built in the county.