Historical Markers in
Bell County, Texas

42nd Reunion of Hood's Texas Brigade A Memorial to Civil War Education in Texas African American Education in Belton Alexander's Distillery Alice Gray Hamblen Althea School Alvin Ailey Anna Laura Cole Armstrong-Adams House Arthur Carroll Scott, Sr., M.D. Arthur Carroll Scott, Sr., M.D. Avenue D School Bartlett Electric Cooperative Bartlett Grammar School Bell County Bell County Courthouse Bell County Courthouses Belton Farmers Co-op Gin Belton Woman's Commonwealth Bernard Moore Temple Berry-Vickrey House Bethel Primitive Baptist Church Bird Creek Battlefield Bird Creek Indian Battle Blackburn Cemetery Blackland Experiment Station, Substation No. 5 Boys Ranch of Copperas Cove Brown (Okay Community) Cemetery C. L. Walker Home Capt. Milton Wesley Damron Capt. Robert Bonner Halley Home Captain Andrew Caddell Carnegie Library Building Cedar Knob Cemetery (HTC) Christ Episcopal Church of Temple City Federation of Women's Clubs City of Bartlett City of Killeen City of Rogers City of Temple Clark House Claudia Potter, M.D. Claudia Potter, M.D. Cochran, Blair and Potts Department Store Comanche Gap Cora Anderson Negro Hospital Corinth Missionary Baptist Church County Line Baptist Church Cultural Activities Center Dallas Cemetery Daniel McKay Davis Mill Dodd's Creek Bridge Donahoe Community Donohoe Cemetery Dr. John S. and Mary McCelvey House Dr. Samuel J. and Charlotte H. Jones Dr. Welborn and Louisa Adeline Barton Early Bell County Jail Eighth Street Baptist Church Ele B. Baggett Home Elm Grove Baptist Church Farmers Mutual Protective Association of Texas (RVOS) Fellrath Building Ferguson Home First Baptist Church of Bartlett First Baptist Church of Belton First Baptist Church of Killeen First Baptist Church of Salado First Baptist Church of Temple First Christian Church of Temple First Lutheran Church First National Bank of Killeen First Presbyterian Church First Presbyterian Church of Temple First United Methodist Church of Belton First United Methodist Church of Rogers First United Methodist Church of Temple Former Site of Scott & White School of Nursing Former Site of Y.M.C.A. Fort Griffin Fowler House George Valter Brindley, Sr., M.D. George Valter Brindley, Sr., M.D. George Washington Baines House Grace United Methodist Church Greathouse Cemetery Green Oaks Farm Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Planing Mill Hermon and Margaret L. Aiken Herrington Cemetery Hill Cemetery Hillcrest Cemetery Hiram B. Reynolds Property Hodge Cemetery Holland Community Home of Capt. A. J. Harris Home of Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson Home of Orville Thomas Tyler Home of Wellborn Barton Immanuel Baptist Church Immanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery James A. Fletcher House James H. Isbell James Lowry Smith Jeff Hamilton Jeff Hamilton John and Ettie Mayfield House John Blackburn Log House John Leggett Marshall John Robert Craddock Joseph Dennis Joseph Dennis Lands Joseph "Joe Tex" Arrington, Jr. K.M. Jones Family Cemetery Kate Crawford and Zachary Clay Taylor Killeen Herald King's Daughters Hospital King's Daughters Hospital School of Nursing Knob Creek Lodge No. 401, A.F. & A.M. Lake Polk Park Lancaster Cemetery Little Flock Cemetery and Primitive Baptist Church Little River-Wilson Valley Cemetery Little River-Wilson Valley Cemetery Live Oak Cemetery Log Cabin Study of Dr. Arthur Carroll Scott Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton Lt. Gen. Andrew Davis Bruce Luther Memorial M. H. Denman Cabin Main Street Bridges Major A.J. Rose House Major Archibald Johnson Rose Maruna Meadow Mary Allen Oliver Cemetery Mary Elizabeth Carpenter, Birthplace of White House Aide Maxdale Bridge Maxdale Cemetery Mayberry Park Cemetery McBryde Cemetery Memorial Baptist Church of Temple Messer-Limmer Farmhouse Miller Springs Bridge Miriam A. Ferguson Birthplace Missouri, Kansas & Texas (Katy) Railroad Bridge Moffat Moffat Cemetery Moody-Leon United Methodist Church Mrs. Sarah Ann Hardin-Kelton Muehlhause House Nolanville Encampment Nolanville School Nora Lee Mayhew Wendland Norman Austin Norton-Orgain House Ocker Brethren Church Old Anderson Place Old Salado Graveyard Omar L. Fletcher Home Oveta Culp Hobby and the Women's Army Corps Pendleton Pleasant Hill Cemetery Post Oak Cemetery Raleigh R. White, Jr., M.D. Raleigh R. White, Jr., M.D. Raleigh Richardson White, Sr. Ralph Wilson, Sr. Reed's Lake Robert Bonner Halley Robert Emmet Bledsoe Baylor Robertson Home S.P.J.S.T. Lodge No. 47, Hvezda Texasu Salado Salado Cemetery Salado Church of Christ Salado Creek Salado Methodist Church Salado United Methodist Church Sanderford Log Cabin Santa Fe Depot Santa Fe Memorial Hospital, Inc. Scott & White Hospital Scott and White School of Nursing Seaton Brethren Church Seaton Cemetery Second Armored Division, U. S. Army Seven Star Cemetery Sharp Cemetery and Rock Creek Baptist Church of Christ Shiloh Cemetery Site of 1920's Factory of the Temple Monoplane Site of Booker T. Washington School Site of Childers-Shanklin Mill Site of Dulaney's Mill Site of Early Belton House Site of German-English School Site of New Colony School Site of Pecan School Site of the Central Manufacturing Co. Site of the Organization of the Texas Forestry Association Site of Thomas Arnold High School Six Miles East to Site of Little River Fort South Belton Cemetery St. John Lutheran Church St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery Stagecoach Inn Stampede Creek Steakley Home Stinnett's Mill Stockton Family Cemetery Stokes-Nelson Cemetery Summers' Mill Temple College Temple Daily Telegram Temple Founder Lions Club Temple Public Library Tennessee Valley Texas State Soil and Water Conservation Board The 1st Cavalry Division The Curtis Mansion The Curtis Mansion The Rev. George Washington Baines The Rev. James E. and Fannie F. Ferguson The Texas Baptist Educational Society Thomas Edison Dixon, M.D. Twelve Oaks W. Goodrich Jones (1860-1950) Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church Wedemeyer House Wednesday Review Club West Salado Cemetery William Whitaker Reed Willingham Cemetery Willingham Spring Baptist Church Wilma Carlton Wilson Van Dyke Woman's Study Club of Holland Woman's Wednesday Club Woman's Wednesday Club of Belton Yee Pat Ling Youngsport Zabcikville
The cattle industry played a significant role in the development of Texas, with cowboys driving cattle from Texas to railheads in Kansas during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Bell County, located in central Texas, has a rich history dating back thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Tonkawa, Lipan Apache, and Comanche. European settlers began arriving in the early 19th century, with the first permanent settlement established in 1850 by Thomas M. Bigham, who built a log cabin near the Lampasas River.

The county was officially established in 1850 and named after Governor Peter H. Bell. It quickly grew as more settlers arrived to take advantage of the fertile land and abundant natural resources. Agriculture, particularly cotton farming, became the primary industry in the region, with the first cotton gin built in 1853. The county also became an important shipping point due to its proximity to the Chisholm Trail, which was used to drive cattle to markets in the north.

During the Civil War, Bell County played a significant role in supporting the Confederate cause. Several Confederate camps were established in the area, and the county experienced some military action, including the Battle of Stampede Valley in 1863. After the war, the county began to recover and diversify its economy. The railroad arrived in the late 19th century, bringing further growth and development.

In the 20th century, Bell County continued to experience growth and modernization. Fort Hood, one of the largest military installations in the country, was established in 1942. The presence of the military base provided a significant economic boost to the county and continues to be a major employer and contributor to the local economy. Today, Bell County is a thriving community with a diverse economy that includes agriculture, manufacturing, healthcare, education, and military-related industries.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Bell County, Texas.

  • 1834 - Bell County is established by the Republic of Texas
  • 1850 - The first permanent settlement, known as Nolanville, is established
  • 1851 - A post office is established in the town of Belton
  • 1852 - The county seat is moved from Nolanville to Belton
  • 1858 - The Belton Female College is founded
  • 1861-1865 - Bell County is heavily impacted by the American Civil War
  • 1870 - The Houston and Texas Central Railway arrives in Bell County, boosting economic growth
  • 1881 - The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is founded in Belton
  • 1892 - The town of Temple is established as a railroad town
  • 1913 - The Santa Fe Railroad builds a major railroad station in Temple
  • 1920s - Bell County experiences an oil boom
  • 1957 - Construction begins on the Fort Hood military base
  • 1980s - Bell County's economy diversifies with the growth of healthcare and technology industries
  • 2005 - The Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery is established in Killeen