National Register Listings in
Davidson County, Tennessee

Acme Farm Supply Building Airdrie Alumni Memorial Hall, Vanderbilt University American Baptist Theological Seminary Historic District Beech Grove Belair Belle Meade Belle Meade Apartments Belle Meade Golf Links Subdivision Historic District Belle Vue Belmont Belmont-Hillsboro Historic District Bennie-Dillon Building Berger Building Bluefields Historic District Broadway Historic District Buchanan, James, House Buena Vista Historic District Bush-Herbert Building Cameron School Cane Ridge Cumberland Presbyterian Church Capers C.M.E. Church Carnegie Library Cartwright-Moss House Castner-Knott Building Cayce, James A., Administration Service Building Centennial Park Chadwell, Robert, House Cheatham Building Cheekwood Christ Church Church of the Assumption Cleveland Hall Clover Bottom Farm Cole House Cole, Anna Russell, Auditorium Craig, Mrs. Edward B., House Cummins Station Davidson County Courthouse Demonbreun's Cave Devon Farm Doctor's Building Dozier Farm Dubuisson-Neuhoff House Dudley, Guildfor, Sr. and Anne Dallas, House Dyer, Arthur J., Observatory East Nashville High and Junior High Schools East Nashville Historic District Edgefield Historic District Eighth Avenue South Reservoir Ellis Service Station Garage Elm Street Methodist Church Ewing, Alexander, House Fall School Federal Office Building Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta Fifth Avenue Historic District Fire Hall for Engine Company No. 18 Fire Hall No. 1 First Baptist Church East Nashville First Presbyterian Church Fisk University Historic District Fort Negley Frost Building Geddes, James, Engine Company No. 6 Geist, John, and Sons, Blacksmith Shop and House Germantown Historic District Gilbert Mansion Gladstone Apartments Glen Leven Glen Oak Grand Ole Opry House Grassmere Gray, Benajah, Log House Gymnasium, Vanderbilt University Hall-Harding-McCampbell House Hays-Kiser House Hermitage Hotel Hermitage Hotel Hermitage, The Hibbettage, The Hillsboro-West End Historic District Holly Street Fire Hall Holy Trinity Church Home for Aged Masons House of David Recording Studio Complex Houston Jr., P.D., House Hows-Madden House Hubbard House Hume-Fogg High School Inglewood Place Historic District Jackson Park Historic District Jubilee Hall, Fisk University Kennedy Jr., Thomas P., House Kennedy, Thomas P. Jr., House (Boundary Increase) Kenner Manor Historic District Lakewood Commercial District Lebanon Road Stone Arch Bridge Lindsley Avenue Church of Christ Litterer Laboratory Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged Longleat Longview Lyttle, Hulda Margaret, Hall of Meharry Medical College Marathon Motor Works Martin, Dr. Richard and Mrs Margaret, House Martin, Richard E., House McCrory-Mayfield House McGavock-Gatewood-Webb House Mechanical Engineering Hall, Vanderbilt University Miles House Miller, Dr. Cleo, House Morris Memorial Building Mount Olivet Cemetery Municipal Public Works Garage Industrial District Nashville Arcade Nashville Children's Museum Nashville Christian Institute Gymnasium Nashville City Cemetery Nashville Financial Historic District Nashville National Cemetery Nashville Union Station and Trainshed Newsom's Mill Noel Hotel Oglesby School Old Hickory Historic District Old Hickory Methodist Church Old Natchez Trace Omohundro Water Filtration Complex District Overbrook Overton Lane Park-Elkins Historic District Parthenon, The Peabody College for Teachers Pearl High School Phillips, Thomas W., Memorial Pilcher, Dr. Cobb, House Primitive Baptist Church Printers Alley Historic District Rainbow Ranch RCA Studio B RCA Victor Studios Building Rich-Schwartz Building Richland Hall Richland-West End Historic District Riverwood Robertson, James, Hotel Robincroft Rutledge Hill Historic District Ryman Auditorium Savage House Scarritt College Historic District Second Avenue Commercial District Shaw, Abner T., House Shelby Street Bridge Smith Farmhouse Smith Farmhouse (Boundary Increase) Smith-Carter House Southern Methodist Publishing House St. Ann's Episcopal Church St. Cecilia Academy St. Mary's Catholic Church St. Patrick's Catholic Church and Rectory Stone Hall Stump, Frederick, House Sunnyside Tanglewood Historic District Tanglewood Historic District (Boundary Increase) Temple Cemetery Tennesse Manufacturing Company Tennessee State Capitol Tennessee State Library and Archives Tennessee State Office Building Tennessee State University Historic District Tennessee Supreme Court Building Tennessee War Memorial Third Baptist Church Travellers Rest Tulip Grove Two Rivers U.S. Naval Reserve Training Center US Post Office US Post Office-Old Hickory Utopia Hotel Warner Park Historic Park Waverly Place Historic District Weakley-Truett-Clark House West End High School West Meade Whites Creek Historic District Whitland Area Neighborhood Wilkinson House Woman's Club of Nashville (J.B. Daniel House) Woodland in Waverly Historic District Woodlawn Woodmont Terrace Apartments Young Women's Christian Association Building
Tennessee was the site of the first commercial nuclear power plant in the United States. The Tennessee Valley Authority's Watts Bar Nuclear Plant began operating in 1996 and remains in operation today.
Davidson County, Tennessee is an area rich in history that dates back thousands of years. The region was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Chickasaw and the Shawnee. European explorers, most notably French traders, began to explore the area in the 18th century.

The county is named after General William Lee Davidson, a North Carolina militia officer who was killed in the Revolutionary War. Davidson County was established in 1783, making it one of the oldest counties in Tennessee. The city of Nashville, which is the county seat, was founded soon after, in 1780.

Throughout its history, Davidson County has played a significant role in the development of Tennessee and the United States. In the early 19th century, Nashville became a hub for trade and transportation, as well as a center for education and culture. The city thrived as a port along the Cumberland River and became an important cotton trading hub.

During the Civil War, Davidson County witnessed several significant events. The Battle of Nashville, a major Union victory, took place here in 1864 and marked a turning point in the war. The city also served as a center for the Union's military operations throughout the region.

In the decades following the Civil War, Davidson County continued to grow and evolve. It became known as the "Athens of the South" for its esteemed institutions of higher education, including Vanderbilt University and Fisk University. Today, Davidson County remains a cultural and economic center of Tennessee, with a flourishing music scene, lively downtown area, and a diverse population.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Davidson County, Tennessee.

  • 1783 – Davidson County is created by the North Carolina legislature and named in honor of William Lee Davidson.
  • 1784 – Nashville is established as the county seat of Davidson County.
  • 1806 – The Tennessee State Capitol building, also located in Davidson County, is completed.
  • 1812 – A new courthouse is constructed in Nashville.
  • 1861 – Tennessee secedes from the Union and joins the Confederacy during the American Civil War.
  • 1864 – Nashville becomes the first Confederate state capital to fall to Union forces during the Civil War.
  • 1868 – The Tennessee State Capitol building is restored and reopened after being damaged during the Civil War.
  • 1871 – A new Davidson County Courthouse is constructed in Nashville to replace the previous one.
  • 1963 – The Parthenon replica in Centennial Park is completed, becoming a popular tourist attraction in Davidson County.
  • 1997 – Riverfront Park, a waterfront park along the Cumberland River, is opened in downtown Nashville.
  • 2010 – The 2010 flood devastates parts of Davidson County, causing significant damage to homes and infrastructure.