South Dakota was the first state in the United States to grant women the right to vote, in 1890.
Hamlin County, South Dakota is located in the eastern part of the state. It was established on January 8, 1873, and was named after the Vice President of the United States, Hannibal Hamlin. The county was initially part of the Dakota Territory before it became part of South Dakota when it was admitted as a state in 1889.

The first settlers in Hamlin County were predominantly of Norwegian and German descent. They were attracted to the area due to its fertile soil and the opportunity for agricultural development. The county's economy was primarily based on farming, with wheat and corn being the main crops.

In the early years, the county faced many challenges, including harsh weather conditions and wildfires. However, the arrival of the railroad in the late 19th century provided a significant boost to its economy. It facilitated easier transportation of agricultural products, which led to increased trade and growth in the county.

Over the years, Hamlin County has seen a gradual increase in its population, with new immigrants and settlers from various backgrounds making it their home. Today, the county remains largely rural and continues to focus on agriculture as one of its main industries. It boasts a strong sense of community and a rich farming heritage that has shaped its history and identity.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Hamlin County, South Dakota.

  • 1862 - Homestead Act signed, opening up the area to settlement
  • 1880 - Hamlin County established
  • 1881 - First post office opened in the county
  • 1882 - Hamlin County's first schoolhouse built
  • 1883 - First church established in the county
  • 1903 - Railway line built connecting Hamlin County to surrounding areas
  • 1915 - First county fair held in Hamlin County
  • 1930s - Great Depression impacts the county's economy
  • 1980s - Agriculture becomes the county's primary industry
  • 1997 - Hamlin County celebrates its centennial