National Register Listings in
Richland County, South Carolina

Allen University Alston House Alta Vista-Camp Fornance-Newman Park Historic District Arcade Building Arsenal Hill Babcock Building, South Carolina State Hospital Barber House Bellevue Historic District Benedict College Historic District Benson, Florence C., Elementary School Bethel A.M.E. Church Building at 1210-1214 Main Street Building at 1644 Main Street Building at 1722-1724 Main Street Building at 303 Saluda Avenue Byrd, J. A., Mercantile Store Caldwell-Hampton-Boylston House Calhoun, John C., State Office Building Canal Dime Savings Bank Carolina Life Insurance Company Carver Theatre Champion and Pearson Funeral Home Chapelle Administration Building Chesnut Cottage Citadel Shirt Corporation Claussen's Bakery Columbia Canal Columbia Central Fire Station Columbia City Hall Columbia Commercial Historic District (Boundary Increase II) Columbia Electric Street Railway, Light & Power Substation Columbia Historic District I Columbia Historic District II Columbia Historic District II (Boundary Increase) Columbia Mills Building Columbia Township Auditorium Confederate Printing Plant Consolidated Building Cornell Arms Cornwell, Harriet M., Tourist House Curtiss-Wright Hangar Debruhl-Marshall House Dovillers-Manning-Magoffin House Eau Claire Town Hall and Survey Publishing Company Building Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel Efird's Department Store Elmwood Cemetery Elmwood Park Historic District (Additional Documentation) Elmwood Park Historic District (Boundary Increase) Ensor-Keenan House Evans, Dr. Matilda A., House Fair-Rutherford and Rutherford Houses Farmers and Merchants Bank Building Federal Land Bank Building First Baptist Church First National Bank First Presbyterian Church Five Points Historic District Forest Hills Historic District Good Hope Baptist Church Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital Goodwill Plantation Granby Mill Village Historic District Greyhound Bus Depot Grovewood Hale-Elmore-Seibels House Hall, Ainsley, House Hampton-Preston House Harden Street Substation Heslep House Hoffman, George P., House Hopkins Graded School Hopkins Presbyterian Church Horry-Guignard House House of Peace Synagogue Kaminer, John J., House Kensington Plantation House Kirkland, B. B., Seed and Distributing Company Koon, John Jacob Calhoun, Farmstead Kress Building Lace House Ladson Presbyterian Church Leevy’s Funeral Home Lever Building Logan School Lorick, Preston C., House Lutheran Theological Seminary Building: Beam Dormitory Mann-Simons Cottage McCord House McMaster School Melrose Heights-Oak Lawn-Fairview Historic District Miller Brothers Cotton Warehouse Millwood Moore-Mann House National Loan and Exchange Bank Building North Carolina Mutual Building North Columbia Fire Station No. 7 Oakwood Old Campus District, University of South Carolina Old Shandon Historic District Olympia Armory Olympia Mill Olympia Mill School Olympia Mill Village Historic District Olympia Union Hall Owen Building Pacific Community Association Building Palmetto Building Palmetto Compress and Warehouse Company Building Pine Grove Rosenwald School Powell, J. Davis, House Price, George R., House Price, Raymond, House Randolph Cemetery Richland Cotton Mill Richland Presbyterian Church Ruth's Beauty Parlor Saint Thomas' Protestant Episcopal Church Scott, Claudius, Cottage Sidney Park Colored Methodist Episcopal Church Siloam School Simkins, Modjeska Monteith, House South Carolina Governor's Mansion South Carolina Memorial Garden South Carolina State Armory South Carolina State Hospital, Mills Building South Carolina Statehouse Southern Cotton Oil Company Spann, Dr. Cyril O., Medical Office Spigner, A. Fletcher, House St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church St. Phillip School Stone Manufacturing Company Supreme Court of South Carolina Building Sylvan Building Taylor House Thurmond, Strom, Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse Town Theatre Trinity Episcopal Church Union National Bank Building Union Station University Neighborhood Historic District US Courthouse Veterans Administration Regional Office Veterans Hospital Wade Hampton State Office Building Wallace-McGee House Wardlaw Junior High School Washington Street United Methodist Church Washington. Booker T., High School Auditorium Waverly Historic District Wesley Methodist Church West Gervais Street Historic District Whaley, W. B. Smith, House Williams, A.P., Funeral Home Wilson, Thomas Woodrow, Boyhood Home Woodlands Woodrow Memorial Presbyterian Church World War Memorial Building Zimmerman House Zimmerman School
The first successful English settlement in South Carolina was established in 1670 in what is now known as Charleston. The settlement was named Charles Towne in honor of King Charles II of England.
Richland County, located in the heart of South Carolina, has a rich and diverse history that spans centuries. Originally inhabited by Native American tribes, the area was first explored by European settlers in the 1600s. The county was officially established in 1785 and named after the fertile soil found in the region. During the colonial period, Richland County played a significant role in the agricultural economy of South Carolina, with the production of indigo and rice being the primary industries.

One of the key events in Richland County's history took place during the American Revolution. In 1781, the Battle of Eutaw Springs was fought near present-day Eutawville, resulting in a significant victory for the American forces and marking a turning point in the war. This battle is commemorated today at the Battle of Eutaw Springs Historic Site.

During the antebellum period, Richland County experienced a boom in cotton production due to the introduction of the cotton gin. This led to a significant increase in the number of enslaved African Americans working on the region's plantations. Richland County also played a role in the abolitionist movement, with some residents actively opposing slavery and participating in the Underground Railroad.

After the Civil War and the abolition of slavery, Richland County underwent major changes. The county seat, Columbia, became a thriving center of industry and commerce. The construction of railroads and the establishment of educational institutions, such as the University of South Carolina, contributed to the county's growth. Today, Richland County continues to be a vibrant and diverse community, with a strong emphasis on education, culture, and economic development.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Richland County, South Carolina.

  • 1785: Richland County is established as one of the original counties in the state of South Carolina.
  • 1786: Columbia is established as the county seat and becomes the capital of South Carolina.
  • 1808: The Columbia Canal is completed, providing power for local mills and factories.
  • 1861-1865: Richland County is heavily impacted by the American Civil War, with Columbia being burned by Union troops in 1865.
  • 1870: Reconstruction begins in Richland County, with efforts to rebuild the economy and infrastructure.
  • 1905: The South Carolina State Fairgrounds open in Columbia, becoming a popular annual event for the county.
  • 1930s: Richland County experiences significant growth during the Great Depression due to New Deal projects and the establishment of Fort Jackson.
  • 1950s-1960s: The Civil Rights Movement impacts Richland County, with protests and activism for racial equality.
  • 1970s: Urban renewal efforts lead to the revitalization of downtown Columbia, with new developments and restoration projects.
  • 1990s: Richland County experiences further growth and development, becoming a hub for education, healthcare, and technology.
  • 2000s: Richland County focuses on sustainable development and infrastructure improvements to accommodate continued growth.