Historical Markers in
Greenwood County, South Carolina

96 Approach Trench Benjamin DeWitt Riegel Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church Cherokee Constance Pope Maxwell Covered Way Dr. Benjamin E. Mays Dr. Benjamin James Sanders, Jr. Early Life in the Backcountry Emerald Farm Environmental Change From Forest to Park First Blood Shed for Liberty First Parallel Francis Salvador Good Hope Baptist Church Gouedy Trail and Charleston Road Greenville Presbyterian Church Greenwood County Confederate Monument Greenwood SC Memorial Marker Historical Promised Land Community In God We Trust In Memoriam Island Ford Road James Birmingham John Henry Logan John Perkins Barratt John Waller Lake Greenwood Law and Order in the Carolina Backcountry Logan Log House Londonborough Settlement Long Cane Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church Long Canes Massacre Louis Booker Wright M-60 A3 Main Battle Tank Magnolia Cemetery Main Street Marion P. Carnell Bridge Marshal Ferdinand Foch Mathews Mill Veterans Monument Militiamen Monument to James Birmingham Moorefield Memorial Highway Mount Pisgah A.M.E. Church Municipal Fountain New Priorities of Protection Ninety Six Ninety Six Colored School Ninety Six in the American Revolution Ninety Six National Historic Site Ninety Six National Historic Site Ninety Six National Historic Site Old Cokesbury and Masonic Female College and Conference School Old Greenwood Cemetery Old Ninety Six Park’s / Greenwood County Patrick H. Bradley Patriot Soldier Payne Institute Preston Brooks Dinner Rock Presbyterian Church Second Approach Trench Second Parallel Sharpshooter Siege Trenches Siloam Baptist Church Spring Branch Tabernacle Cemetery Textile Workers Monument The American Revolution Comes to the South The Artillery The Attack The British Fortifications The Forlorn Hope The Lost Town of Cambridge The Mine The Patriot Force Arrives The Patriots Lay Siege to the Star Fort The Rifle Tower The Siege of Ninety Six The Star Fort The Stockade Fort The Well The William T. Jones, III Bridge To The People of Greenwood County Trader with Pack Horse Walking Tour of the Park Ware Shoals Veterans Memorial Welcome to the Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area Why Did the British Burn Ninety Six? Why Is It Called Ninety Six? Wm. Pierce Bennett Kinard Woman and Child World War Memorial "Light Horse Harry" Lee Takes the Stockade Fort
South Carolina is the birthplace of several famous musicians, including James Brown, Dizzy Gillespie, and Chubby Checker.
Greenwood County, located in the state of South Carolina, has a rich history that dates back to the early 19th century. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Cherokee and Catawba peoples. European settlers arrived in the late 1700s, primarily of Scotch-Irish and English descent, and established small farming communities.

In the early 1800s, the construction of the Greenwood Rail Line brought new opportunities and development to the region. The town of Greenwood was founded in 1824 at the intersection of the newly established rail line and Old Ninety-Six Road. The rail line facilitated the transportation of goods and opened up markets for local farmers, contributing to the growth of Greenwood County.

During the American Civil War, Greenwood County played a significant role in the Confederate war effort. The community's economy was heavily dependent on cotton farming, and the county supplied troops, provisions, and support to the Confederacy. Despite the devastating impact of the war, Greenwood County slowly began to recover and rebuild in the years following the conflict.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, industries such as textile mills and lumber mills emerged in Greenwood County. These industries brought new wealth and employment opportunities to the area and further contributed to the county's growth and development. Today, Greenwood County continues to flourish as a thriving community with a diverse economic base, rich cultural heritage, and a strong sense of community pride.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Greenwood County, South Carolina.

  • Greenwood County, SC was formed in 1897 from parts of Abbeville and Edgefield counties.
  • In the early 1900s, Greenwood became a major center for the cotton industry.
  • In 1923, the Greenwood Textile School (now known as Piedmont Technical College) was established.
  • In the 1940s, the construction of Camp Croft, a military training base, brought a significant increase in population to the county.
  • In 1947, Greenwood hosted the Jubilee Day celebration, which marked the lifting of wartime restrictions on cotton and textile production.
  • In the 1950s and 1960s, Greenwood experienced economic growth and industrial development.
  • In 1974, Greenwood Community Hospital (now known as Self Regional Healthcare) opened its doors.
  • In 1988, Greenwood County Historical Society was formed to preserve and promote the county's history.
  • In 2016, Greenwood celebrated its tricentennial, marking 300 years of history.