Historical Markers in
Anderson County, South Carolina

1965 A Living Tribute Abney Athletic Center African American School Site After Dark: Seeking Harmony in Music and Culture Anderson Boys' High School Anderson College Infirmary Anderson County Confederate Monument Anderson County Court House -- 1898 Anderson County Courthouse Annex Park Anderson County Farmers Market Pavilion Anderson County Fire Fighters Memorial Anderson County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Anderson County Library Anderson County Veterans Monument Anderson Mills Anderson Presbyterian Church Cemetery Anderson Regional Airport Anderson, S.C. Anderson: "The Electric City" Ashtabula Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891 Barkers Creek Baptist Church Barnard Elliott Bee Belton / Historic Belton Belton Academy / Central School Belton Depot Belton Veterans Memorial Beyond Commerce: Building a Legacy of Hard Work Big Creek Baptist Church Blue Ridge Railroad Passenger Station -- c. 1913 Bolt-Bell House Boy High School Building History / Major Frank R Thompson (1903-1977) Carnegie Library Cathcart-Schonauer House Chamberlain-Kay House Chiquola Baptist Church Bell Chiquola Mill Monument Clement Hoffman Stevens Confederate Skirmish David Greer, Sr. Dean / Dean's Station Denmark Hall Dorchester Baptist Church World War II Veterans Plaque Dr. Don C. Garrison Dr. Samuel Marshall Orr House Ebenezer Methodist Church Fant's Book Store -- 1851 Farmers Hall First Baptist Church of Belton First Lady of the Skies First Presbyterian Church Flat Rock Cemetery Veterans Monument Frierson School House G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and United States Courthouse G.F. Tolly Building -- c. 1910 Gambrill House Generostee A.R.P. Church Girls High School Gist Rifles Monument Good Hope Church Good Hope Presbyterian Church Good Hope Presbyterian Church Cemetery Grace Episcopal Church Greenville & Columbia RR / Belton Hartwell Lake Health & Heritage Walking Trail High Shoals Historic Wilhite House Honea Path Honea Path Veterans Memorial Hopewell Church Hunter's Store In Commemoration of Black Pioneers In Honor and Remembrance In This Burial Ground Iva Iva Veterans Monument James Lawrence Orr Joseph B. Douthit Korean War / Viet Nam Veterans Lebanon Baptist Church M42A1 "Duster" Masonic Temple -- 1889 McDuffie High School McGee Harness Shop Moffettsville / Moffettsville Postmaster Appointments More Than Food: Savoring the Flavor of Dignity Mountain Creek Baptist Church Mrs. J.D. Chapman Nazareth on the Beaverdam Presbyterian Church / Townville Presbyterian Church New Silver Brook Veterans Monument Old Hopewell Cemetery Old Iva Depot Mural Old Livestock Corral Old Mill Stone Old Silverbrook Veterans Memorial Oliver Bolt's Cotton Gin Orr Mill Cemetery Orr Monument Pelzer Presbyterian Church Pendleton Pickens Cemetery Portman Dam and Power Plant Portman Shoals Portman Shoals Pratt Hall Printer John Miller R J Ginn House Ralph John Ramer House Reese Family Cemetery Richard W. Simpson Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain Roberts Church Rocky River Baptist Association Headquarters Ruhamah United Methodist Church Sandy Springs Camp Ground / Confederate Muster Ground Saylors Bridge Site of First African American High School in Anderson County Site of Rose Hill -- 1794 St. John's Methodist Church St. Paul Methodist Church St. Paul's Baptist Church -- 1865 Sullivan Hardware Co. -- 1875 Sullivan Music Building Tanglewood Mansion Temple B'Nai Israel The Anderson Sports and Entertainment Complex The Belton Standpipe The Church Street Heritage Plaza The First Baptist Church Bell The Four Way Test The Greeley Institute The H.H. Watkins Teaching Center The Hole The J.E. Rouse Dormitory The Old Reformer The Original Back Door Step The Piazza The Story of the Bell The Wilton E. Hall Bridge They Died for the Rights of the Working Man Thomas Green Clemson Thomas Green Clemson Parkway Thompson Centennial United ME Church -- 1867 Townville Presbyterian Church University Hill Vandiver Hall Veterans of All Wars Vietnam Veterans Monument Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer Weather Reporting Station West Allen Williams West Allen Williams Memorial Gravesite Westview Cemetery World War Casualties Memorial William Arthur Floyd William Bullein Johnson William Church Whitner William Law Watkins Williamston Williamston 9-11 Monument Williamston Female College Williamston Municipal Center Willis Chapel Methodist Church Woodburn Historic House Woodburn Plantation World War I and II Veterans World War I Memorial "Lord, We Are Grateful" "Old Reformer" Cannon "The Hundreds"
Available on Amazon
South Carolina was the first state to secede from the Union, but it was also the last state to rejoin the Union after the Civil War. Reconstruction in the state was marked by violence and political turmoil.
Anderson County, South Carolina has a rich and diverse history that spans centuries. The area was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, such as the Cherokee and Catawba, who lived off the land and had a strong cultural presence. European exploration and settlement began in the late 18th century when traders and settlers arrived in search of new opportunities.

In the early 19th century, Anderson County experienced rapid growth and development with the establishment of several important industries. The construction of the Blue Ridge Railroad in 1853 contributed to the county's economic growth by facilitating trade and transportation. Agriculture, particularly cotton farming, became a significant industry during this period, with many plantations operating in the area.

The American Civil War had a profound impact on Anderson County, as it did on many Southern communities. The county was divided between those who supported the Confederate cause and those who were loyal to the Union. The Battle of Anderson, which took place in 1864, saw Union forces attempt to disrupt the vital infrastructure of the region, including the railroad. The war left a lasting mark on the county, both socially and economically.

Following the Civil War, Anderson County entered a phase of industrialization. The late 19th and early 20th centuries saw the emergence of textile mills, hydroelectric power plants, and manufacturing industries. This economic shift brought significant growth and prosperity to the area, as well as a diversification of its population. The town of Anderson became a regional center for commerce and trade, establishing itself as a hub for business and cultural activities.

Today, Anderson County continues to thrive as a vibrant community with a diverse economy, including manufacturing, healthcare, and education. The county's historical legacy is preserved in landmarks such as the Anderson County Courthouse and several historic districts. Anderson County's history is a testament to the resilience and adaptability of its people, who have continuously worked to shape the county into what it is today.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Anderson County, South Carolina.

  • 1826 - Anderson County is established on December 20, named after Revolutionary War hero Robert Anderson.
  • 1828 - Anderson becomes the county seat.
  • 1851 - The Blue Ridge Railroad is completed, connecting Anderson to the rest of the state.
  • 1861-1865 - Anderson County experiences the impact of the American Civil War.
  • 1871 - Anderson University is founded.
  • 1893 - The City of Anderson is incorporated.
  • 1895 - Anderson County gains its first electric streetcar service.
  • 1909 - Work begins on the creation of Lake Hartwell.
  • 1926 - Clemson College is moved from downtown Clemson to a new campus.
  • 1942-1946 - During World War II, the Anderson Army Airfield is established.
  • 1950s-1960s - Anderson County experiences significant industrial growth.
  • 1987 - The County Museum of Art is established.
  • 1995 - Anderson County celebrates its 175th anniversary.