National Register Listings in
Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

109-115 Wood Street Allegheny Cemetery Allegheny Commons Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail Allegheny High School Allegheny Observatory Allegheny Post Office Allegheny River Lock and Dam No. 2 Allegheny River Lock and Dam No. 3 Allegheny River Lock and Dam No. 4 Allegheny West Historic District Allerdice, Taylor, High School Alpha Terrace Historic District Armstrong Cork Company Armstrong Tunnel Arsenal Junior High School Baxter High School Bayard School Bedford School Beechwood Elementary School Bell Telephone Company of Pennsylvania Western Headquarters Building Beltzhoover Elementary School Beulah Presbyterian Church Bindley Hardware Company Building Birmingham Public School Boggs Avenue Elementary School Bost Building Bowman Homestead Boyce Station Boys' Club of Pittsburgh Brashear, John A., House and Factory Bridge in Jefferson Borough Bridge in Shaler Township Buhl Building Burke Building Burtner Stone House Butler Street Gatehouse Byers-Lyons House Byrnes & Kiefer Building Calvary Episcopal Church Campbell Building Carnegie Free Library Carnegie Free Library of Allegheny Carnegie Free Library Of Braddock Carnegie Institute and Library Carnegie, Andrew, Free Library Carrie Blast Furnace Number 6 and 7 Carson, Rachel, House Cathedral of Learning Century Building Chatham Village Historic District Colfax Elementary School Connelly, Clifford B., Trade School Conroy Junior High School Consolidated Ice Company Factory No. 2 Coraopolis Armory Coraopolis Bridge Coraopolis Railroad Station Crawford Grill No. 2 Davis Island Lock and Dam Site Deutschtown Historic District Dilworth Elementary School Dollar Savings Bank Duquesne Incline East Carson Street Historic District East Liberty Commercial Historic District East Liberty Market Eberhardt and Ober Brewery Elmridge Emmanuel Episcopal Church Evergreen Hamlet Ewart Building Experimental and Safety Research Coal Mines Experimental Mine, U.S. Bureau Of Mines Fifth Avenue High School First Methodist Episcopal Church of McKeesport First United Presbyterian Church of Braddock Firstside Historic District Firstside Historic District (Boundary Increase) Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant Forks of the Ohio Fort Pitt Elementary School Fortieth Street Bridge Foster School Fourth Avenue Historic District Fourth Avenue Historic District (Boundary Increase) Frew, John, House Frick Building and Annex Frick Park Frick, Henry Clay, Training School for Teachers Fulton Building Fulton Elementary School Fulton Log House Gardner-Bailey House Gilfillan Farm Greenfield Elementary School Hamnett Historic District Hartley-Rose Belting Company Building Hazelwood Brewing Company Heathside Cottage Heinz, H.J., Company Henderson-Metz House Highland Building Highland Park Highland Park Residential Historic District Highland Towers Apartments Hoene-Werle House Homestead High-Level Bridge Homestead Historic District Homestead Pennsylvania Railroad Station House at 200 West North Avenue Houses at 2501-2531 Charles Street Houses at 838-862 Brightridge Street Hunt Armory Hunter Saw & Machine Company Hutchinson Farm International Harvester Company of America: Pittsburgh Branch House Jerome Street Bridge Kaufmann's Department Store Warehouse Kennywood Park Kerr, Thomas R., Dr., House and Office Knoxville Junior High School Langley High School Larimer School Latimer School Lawrence Public School Lawrenceville Historic District Lemington Elementary School Letsche Elementary School Liberty Bridge Liberty School No. 4, Friendship Building Lightner, Isaac, House Lincoln Elementary School Linden Avenue School Lobb's Cemetery and Yohogania County Courthouse Site Logans Ferry Powder Works Historic District Longfellow School Longue Vue Club and Golf Course Madison Elementary School Main Building, U.S. Bureau of Mines Manchester Historic District McCleary Elementary School McCook Family Estate McKees Rocks Bridge McKeesport National Bank Mexican War Streets Historic District (Boundary Increase II) Mexican War Streets Historic District (Boundary Increase) Mexican War Streets Historic District, Mifflin Elementary School Miller, Andrew S. and Elizabeth, House Miller, James, House Mine Roof Simulator Monongahela Incline Mooncrest Historic District Moreland-Hoffstot House Morrow, John, Elementary School Morse, Samuel F. B., School Mt. Lebanon Historic District Neville House New Granada Theater Ninth Street Bridge Oakdale Public School Oakland Public School Oakmont Country Club Historic District Ohringer Building Old Allegheny Rows Historic District Old Heidelberg Apartments Oliver, David P., High School Osterling, Frederick J., Office and Studio Park Place School Penn-Liberty Historic District Penn-Liberty Historic District (Boundary Increase) Pennsalt Historic District Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge Pennsylvania Railroad Station Pennsylvania Railroad Station-Wilkinsburg Perry High School Phipps Conservatory Phipps-McElveen Building Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Station Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad Complex Pittsburgh Athletic Association Building Pittsburgh Brass Manufacturing Company Building Pittsburgh Central Downtown Historic District Pittsburgh Central Downtown Historic District (Boundary Increase) Pittsburgh Mercantile Company Building Pittsburgh Renaissance Historic District Pittsburgh Terminal Warehouse and Transfer Company Prospect Junior High and Elementary School Reed Hall Reymer Brothers Candy Factory Riverview Park Rodef Shalom Temple Rotunda of the Pennsylvania Railroad Station Salvation Army Building, The Sauer Buildings Historic District Schenley Farms Historic District Schenley Farms Historic District (Boundary Increase) Schenley High School Schenley Park Schiller Elementary School Scott, James, House Sellers House Seventh Street Bridge Shadyside Presbyterian Church Shields, David, House Singer, John F., House Sixteenth Street Bridge Sixth Street Bridge Smithfield Street Bridge Snyder, William Penn, House Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall South Side High School South Side Market Building South Tenth Street Bridge Sperling Building Springfield Public School St. Boniface Roman Catholic Church St. John the Baptist Ukranian Catholic Church St. Nicholas Croatian Church St. Stanislaus Kostka Roman Catholic Church St. Thomas Memorial Church Stanley Theater and Clark Building Sterrett Sub-District School Strip Historic District Teutonia Maennerchor Hall Thornburg Historic District Try Street Terminal Tuberculosis Hospital of Pittsburgh Turtle Creek High School Union Trust Building United States Post Office-Sewickley Branch Ursuline Young Ladies Academy US Post Office and Courthouse-Pittsburgh Van Kirk Farm Walker-Ewing Log House Washington Vocational School Way, Nicholas, House West End-North Side Bridge Westinghouse Air Brake Company General Office Building Westinghouse High School Westinghouse, George, Memorial Bridge Whitehill-Gleason Motors Wightman School Wilkinsburg Historic District William Penn Hotel Wilpen Hall Wilson, August, House Woods, John, House Woolslair Elementary School
Pennsylvania was home to the first all-volunteer firefighting company in America, which was established in Philadelphia in 1736.
Allegheny County, located in western Pennsylvania, has a rich and diverse history that spans centuries. Originally inhabited by Native American tribes such as the Shawnee and Delaware, European settlers arrived in the area during the 18th century. The French and Indian War and the American Revolution played significant roles in shaping the early days of the county, with events like the Battle of Bushy Run and the Whiskey Rebellion taking place within its borders.

The county's development, particularly in the 19th and 20th centuries, was heavily influenced by the rise of industry. With its abundant natural resources, including coal and iron ore, Allegheny County became a major center for steel production, earning the moniker "Steel City." The expansion of railroads and the construction of the Erie Canal further facilitated economic growth in the area.

Throughout its history, Allegheny County has been home to influential figures in politics, business, and culture. Pittsburgh, the county seat and largest city, has produced notable individuals such as Andrew Carnegie, who built a vast steel empire, and Rachel Carson, environmentalist and author of "Silent Spring." The region's thriving arts scene also includes the Carnegie Museums, the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, and the Pittsburgh Opera.

In recent decades, Allegheny County has undergone a transformation from an industrial powerhouse to a more diversified economy focused on healthcare, education, technology, and robotics. Although the decline of the steel industry caused significant challenges, the county has rebounded by embracing new industries and investing in urban revitalization efforts.

Today, Allegheny County remains a vibrant and culturally rich area, with a strong spirit of resilience and innovation. Its history continues to shape its present, as the county keeps evolving and adapting to the changing economic and social landscape.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

  • 1788 - Allegheny County is established on September 24.
  • 1794 - The "Whiskey Rebellion" protests occur in the county.
  • 1840 - The Pennsylvania Railroad arrives in Allegheny County, stimulating industrial development.
  • 1873 - The Great Railroad Strike takes place in the county.
  • 1889 - The Johnstown Flood affects parts of Allegheny County.
  • 1907 - The Pittsburgh Pirates, now known as the Pittsburgh Steelers, are founded in Allegheny County.
  • 1968 - Pittsburgh becomes the county seat of Allegheny County.
  • 1981 - The collapse of the Kinzua Bridge impacts the county's transportation infrastructure.
  • 1998 - The completion of the Pittsburgh International Airport's new terminal enhances air travel in the county.
  • 2018 - Allegheny County celebrates its 230th anniversary.