National Register Listings in
Linn County, Oregon

Aegerter, David and Maggie, Barn Albany Custom Mill Albany Downtown Commercial Historic District Albany Hebrew Cemetery Albany Monteith Historic District (Boundary Increase) Albany Municipal Airport Andrus, Jerry, House Archibald, Steven and Elizabeth, Farmstead Baber, Granville H., House Baker, Hiram, House Booth, Dr. J. C., House Boston Flour Mill Brown, Hugh Leeper, Barn Brown, John and Amelia, Farmhouse Chamberlain, George Earle, House Chambers, Matthew C., Barn Cochran, William, Barn Cooley, George C., House Crabtree Creek-Hoffman Covered Bridge Crandall, Louis A., House Crawfordsville Bridge Cyrus, Henry and Mary, Barn Dawson, Alfred, House Elkins Flour Mill Fields, Hugh, House First Baptist Church of Brownsville First Evangelical Church of Albany Fish Lake Guard Station Flinn Block Hackleman Historic District Hannah Bridge Harrisburg Odd Fellows Hall Hochstedler, George, House Howe, C. J., Building Independence Prairie Ranger Station Larwood Bridge Lebanon Pioneer Cemetery Lebanon Southern Pacific Railroad Depot Macpherson, Hector and Margaret, Barn Maurer, Joseph and Barbara, House Methodist Episcopal Church South Milde, Gottlieb and Della, Barn Monteith Historic District Monteith,Thomas and Walter,House Moore, John and Mary, House Moyer, John M., House Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian Church Parker, Moses, House Peery, E.C., Building Porter-Brasfield House Ralston, John and Lottie, Cottage Ralston, John, House Rock Hill School Ross-Averill House Ryan, Michael and Mary, Barn Santiam Pass Ski Lodge Santiam Wagon Road Short Bridge Smith, James Alexander, and Elmarion, Barn and Lame-Smith House Starr and Blakely Drug Store Stellmacher, Gus and Emma, Farmstead Thomas Creek-Gilkey Covered Bridge Thomas Creek-Shimanek Covered Bridge United Presbyterian Church and Rectory United Presbyterian Church of Shedd Wesely, Joseph, House and Barn Wigle Cemtery Wigle, Abraham and Mary, House Wigle, Jacob and Maranda K., Farmstead Z.C.B.J. Tolstoj Lodge No. 224
Oregon was the first state in the United States to have a bottle bill. In 1971, Oregon passed a law requiring a refundable deposit on beverage containers. This law was later adopted by other states and is now common throughout the United States.
Linn County, Oregon has a rich and diverse history that stretches back thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by multiple Native American tribes, including the Kalapuya and the Santiam band of the Molala tribe. These tribes lived off the land, hunting, fishing, and gathering food along the rivers and valleys that make up the region.

In the early 19th century, European settlers began to arrive in the area. The first permanent settlement in what is now Linn County was established in 1847 by Thomas and Walter Monteith, who founded the town of Brownsville. Other towns soon followed, including Albany, Lebanon, and Sweet Home. These early pioneers were drawn to the area for its fertile soil and abundant natural resources.

Linn County played a significant role in the development of Oregon as a state. The county was established in 1847 and named after Senator Lewis F. Linn of Missouri. It quickly became an important agricultural center, known for its fruit orchards, timber industry, and the production of grass seed. The Oregon and California Railroad arrived in the late 1860s, further boosting the county's growth and connecting it to the broader region.

Over the years, Linn County has faced various challenges and experienced significant growth. The county suffered from devastating floods in the mid-20th century, but efforts to protect against future flooding were made, including the construction of dams and levees. Today, Linn County remains a vibrant and thriving community, offering a mix of urban and rural lifestyles, with a strong emphasis on agriculture, timber, and outdoor recreation.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Linn County, Oregon.

  • 1846 - Linn County is organized as a county in the Oregon Territory.
  • 1851 - Albany becomes the county seat of Linn County.
  • 1867 - The Oregon State Fair is first held in Linn County, near Brownsville.
  • 1870 - The Santiam Wagon Road is completed, connecting Linn County to the Willamette Valley.
  • 1913 - The Detroit Dam is constructed on the North Santiam River.
  • 1932 - The Sweet Home Dam is completed on the South Santiam River.
  • 1940s - Linn County's timber industry experiences significant growth.
  • 1951 - Foster Dam is constructed on the South Santiam River, providing flood control and hydroelectric power.
  • 1963 - Construction begins on the Green Peter Dam, another flood control project on the Middle Santiam River.
  • 1971 - The South Santiam River is designated as a National Wild and Scenic River.
  • 1986 - Construction begins on the John Day Dam, the last of the major hydroelectric dams in Linn County.
  • 2008 - Linn County experiences a major flooding event, causing widespread damage.
  • 2018 - Linn County celebrates its 175th anniversary since being established.