National Register Listings in
Jackson County, Oregon

Ahlstrom, Nils, House Anderson, Thomas N., House Antelope Creek Covered Bridge Ashland Cemetery Ashland Depot Hotel, South Wing Ashland Downtown Historic District Ashland Masonic Lodge Building Ashland Municipal Powerhouse Ashland Oregon National Guard Armory Ashland Railroad Addition Historic District Atkinson, W. H., House Baker, Sophenia Ish, House Barclay-Klum House Barnum Hotel Beach, Baldwin, House Beall, Robert Vinton, House Beeson-Foss Ranch Big Elk Guard Station Boslough-Claycomb House Bowne, Walter, House BPOE Lodge No. 1168 Buckhorn Mineral Springs Resort Bursell, Victor and Bertha, House Butte Falls Ranger Station Bybee, Frank E., House Bybee, William, House Camp White Station Hospital Administration Building Campbell, Richard Posey, House Carpenter, A.S.V., and Helen Bundy House Carter, E. V., House Carter, H. B., House Carter-Fortmiller House Central Point Public School Chappell-Swedenburg House Chavner Family House Citizen's Banking & Trust Co. Building Clark, Frank Chamberlain, House Cooley-Neff Warehouse Coolidge, Orlando, House Corning Court Ensemble Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter Driver, E. Raymond, House Dunn, Patrick, Ranch Dutchman Peak Lookout Eagle Point National Cemetery Eddings-Provost House Eden Valley Orchard Egan, H. Chandler and Alice B., House Enders Building Faber, Edward Charles, House First Baptist Church First National Bank, Vaupel Store and Oregon Hotel Buildings Fish Lake Shelter Fluhrer Bakery Building Fredenburg, Andrew J., House Furry, Frederic E., House Gates, C. E. "Pop", House Glenview Orchard Ensemble Gold Hill High School Grainger, G. M. and Kate, House Hafer, Edgar F., House Hanley, Michael, Farmstead Hanscom Hall Hargadine Cemetery Hatch, Charles and Elizabeth, House Hillcrest Orchard Historic District Hover, George A., House Imnaha Guard Station IOOF Building Jackson County Courthouse Jacksonville Historic District Jacksonville-to-Fort Klamath Military Wagon Road Kane, E. C., House Liberty Building Lithia Park Lithia Springs Hotel Lodgepole Guard Station Lost Creek Bridge Lucas, Robert and Ruth, House and Mary E. Rose House Madden-McCaskey House McCall, John, House McCredie, William, House McKee Bridge McKee Bridge Campground McManus, Patrick F., House Medford Carnegie Library Medford Central Firehall Medford Downtown Historic District Medford Geneva-Minnesota Historic District Medford Grocery Company Warehouse Medford IOOF Cemetery Medford Plaza Apartments Medford Southern Pacific Railroad Passenger Depot Merritt, John W., House and Store Mountain House Mountain View Cemetery Mt. Stella Lookout Nininger, Amos and Vera, House Orth, John, House Parker Meadows Shelter Parsons, Reginald, Dead Indian Lodge Patton, Hamilton and Edith, House Pedigrift, S. and Sarah J., House Peerless Rooms Building Peil, Emil and Alice Applegate, House Pelton, John and Charlotte, House Perozzi, Domingo, House Pickel, Dr. E. B., Rental House Pracht, Humboldt, House Prospect Hotel Putnam-Neff House Reames, Alfred Evan, House Reddy, Dr. John F. and Mary, House Rich Gulch Diggings Rock Point Hotel Rogue Elk Hotel Root-Banks House Roper, Fordyce, House-Southern Oregon Hospital Schuler Apartment Building Shone-Charley House Silsby, Col. William H., House Siskiyou-Hargandine Historic District Skidmore Academy Historic District Snowy Butte Flour Mill South Oakdale Historic District Sparta Building Squaw Peak Lookout Star Ranger Station Star Ranger Station Building, Old Sweeney, Dr. Charles T. and Mary, House Talent Elementary School Taverner, George, House Tayler-Phipps Building Trinity Episcopal Church U.S. Post Office and Courthouse Union Creek Historic District Van Hoevenberg, Henry, Jr., House Wagner Creek School Walker, John P., House Washington Elementary School Welch, Mathias, House West Side Feed and Sale Stable Whaleback Snow-Survey Cabin White John B., House Whited, Harry L., House Whittle Garage Building Wilkinson-Swem Building Willow Prairie Cabin Women's Civic Improvement Clubhouse Woolen, Isaac, House Wrangle Gap Shelter
The Oregon Vortex, located near Gold Hill, Oregon, is a place where the laws of physics seem to be distorted. Objects appear to roll uphill, people's heights appear to change, and other unusual phenomena have been reported.
Jackson County, located in southern Oregon, has a rich history that spans several centuries. The region was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Rogue River, Shasta, and Takelma people, who lived off the land and developed complex cultures. European explorers, such as Spanish and British traders, started to arrive in the late 1700s, introducing a new era of contact and trade with the indigenous populations.

In the mid-1800s, Jackson County experienced a significant influx of settlers during the Oregon Trail migration. Prospectors seeking gold and natural resources also flocked to the area. The discovery of gold near Jacksonville in 1851 led to a gold rush, establishing the town as one of the major hubs in the region. However, as the gold reserves diminished, Jacksonville’s importance waned, and other communities like Medford began to grow.

The late 19th and early 20th centuries brought rapid development and growth to the region. The arrival of the railroad in the late 1880s opened up new opportunities for trade and transportation in Jackson County. Agriculture became a prominent industry, with orchards, vineyards, and dairy farms flourishing in the fertile valleys. The timber industry also thrived, with vast forests surrounding the county.

Modern-day Jackson County has evolved into a diverse and thriving region. The Great Depression and subsequent changes in the timber industry had a significant impact on the local economy. However, the area adapted and diversified its economy, with a focus on tourism, healthcare, education, and technology sectors. The county is now known for its vibrant arts scene, outdoor recreational activities, and the presence of esteemed institutions like Southern Oregon University.

Overall, Jackson County's history is one of resilience, adaptation, and growth. From its Native American roots to the Oregon Trail migration, gold rush, and subsequent economic changes, the county has continuously adapted to meet the needs of its residents while maintaining its natural beauty and cultural heritage.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Jackson County, Oregon.

  • 1852 - Jackson County established as a county in the Oregon Territory
  • 1853 - First county seat moved to Jacksonville
  • 1855 - Construction of the Jacksonville Courthouse completed
  • 1884 - Ashland becomes county seat, replacing Jacksonville
  • 1920 - First commercial orchard established in Jackson County
  • 1943 - Medford officially becomes the county seat
  • 1964 - Completion of the Lost Creek Dam on the Rogue River
  • 1972 - Creation of the Crater Lake National Park and Preserve
  • 1984 - Completion of the Jackson County Expo
  • 1991 - Expansion of the Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport