The world's first installed parking meter was in Oklahoma City on July 16, 1935. The parking meter was invented by Carl C. Magee, a journalist and entrepreneur, who wanted to solve the problem of cars taking up too much space on the city's streets.
Woods County, located in northwestern Oklahoma, has a rich and diverse history. The area was originally occupied by various Native American tribes, including the Osage, Cheyenne, and Arapaho. These tribes lived off the land, hunting, fishing, and cultivating crops.

In 1879, the U.S. government opened up the area for settlement, leading to a rush of pioneers seeking new opportunities. Homesteaders began to arrive, establishing farms and towns in the region. The town of Alva, now the county seat of Woods County, was founded in 1893 and quickly became a hub for commerce and transportation.

The early economy of Woods County relied heavily on agriculture. Farmers grew crops such as wheat, corn, and sorghum, while also raising livestock like cattle and pigs. The arrival of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway in 1887 further stimulated economic growth, providing a means for farmers to transport their goods to larger markets.

Over the years, Woods County faced various challenges, including droughts, economic downturns, and the Dust Bowl during the 1930s. However, the community persevered, with many farmers adopting new agricultural practices and the oil industry bringing additional economic opportunities. Today, Woods County continues to be a vital agricultural and energy-producing region, while also focusing on education, healthcare, and quality of life for its residents.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Woods County, Oklahoma.

  • 1893 - Woods County is officially established on November 16th, as part of the Cherokee Outlet Opening.
  • 1900 - The first county courthouse is built in the county seat of Alva.
  • 1907 - Oklahoma becomes a state, and Woods County is incorporated into the new state.
  • 1915 - The Northwestern State Teachers College (now Northwestern Oklahoma State University) is established in Alva.
  • 1923 - The Alva-Enid Railroad is completed, connecting the towns of Alva and Enid.
  • 1938 - Little Sahara State Park is established, becoming a popular recreational area with sand dunes for off-road vehicles.
  • 1986 - The Cherokee Strip Museum is opened in Alva, showcasing the history and culture of the region.
  • 1999 - The Hatfield-Dowlin Complex, a state-of-the-art football facility, is constructed on the campus of Northwestern Oklahoma State University.