National Register Listings in
Cotton County, Oklahoma

The state animal of Oklahoma is the American Bison, which was once hunted nearly to extinction in the 19th century. Today, bison are raised on ranches in Oklahoma and other states for their meat, hides, and other products.
Cotton County, Oklahoma, located in the southern part of the state, has a rich history that dates back centuries. Before European settlement, the land was inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Kiowa and Comanche. These tribes relied on the vast prairies and fertile soil for hunting and agriculture.

In the 19th century, the area that is now Cotton County was part of the Indian Territory. After the Civil War, the region experienced significant growth as settlers arrived, attracted by the promise of cheap land and opportunities for farming. The area saw the establishment of small communities and towns, including Randlett, Walters, and Temple.

Cotton County got its name from the cotton industry, which became a major economic force in the area during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Cotton production boomed, and the county quickly became one of the leading cotton-producing regions in Oklahoma.

The early 20th century brought both prosperity and challenges to the county. The discovery of oil in nearby Stephens County in 1918 brought an economic boom to the region, but also led to environmental and social changes. The Great Depression hit the county hard, as it did the rest of the country, but resilience and hard work allowed the county to recover in the following years. Today, Cotton County remains an agricultural hub, with farming and ranching continuing to be vital to its economy.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Cotton County, Oklahoma.

  • 1901 - Cotton County is established on November 16
  • 1902 - The county government is organized and Temple is designated as the county seat
  • 1903 - The Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway extends through the county
  • 1904 - The town of Walters is incorporated, becoming the second largest town in the county
  • 1910 - Cotton County's population reaches over 12,000
  • 1913 - The town of Randlett is established
  • 1925 - Electricity is introduced to Cotton County
  • 1935 - The Civilian Conservation Corps establishes a work camp in the county
  • 1941 - The Oklahoma Ordnance Works is built near Cotton County during World War II
  • 1953 - The town of Devol is incorporated
  • 1976 - The Cotton County Courthouse is added to the National Register of Historic Places
  • 1986 - The Chisholm Trail Anniversary Celebration is held in Cotton County
  • 1990 - The county's population declines to around 7,500
  • 2007 - The town of Temple celebrates its centennial