Historical Markers in
Franklin County, Ohio

166th Infantry Regiment 1st Squadron 9th Cavalry Memorial 2260 Confederate Soldiers 3306 Columbus Street 3968 Broadway 3974 Broadway 3981 Broadway 3989 Broadway 3995 Broadway 3999 Broadway 4002 Broadway 4022 Broadway 4026-4030 Broadway 4038 Broadway 4052 Broadway 4057 Broadway A Brief History of Eastmoor / Eastmoor Polo Field A Valley is Born A Valley Is Born A-7D "Corsair II" A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement / Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center Agnes Meyer Driscoll All American Quarter Horse Congress Alton Cemetery Veterans Monument Alum Creek & The Underground Railroad / The Underground Railroad American Federation of Labor / United Mine Workers of America America’s Pioneer Kindergarten Aminah Brenda Lynn Robinson Home Studio and Artist's Residence Archaeological Site Archibald's Mill Asians in the American Civil War Augenstein-Spillman Blacksmith Shop Back to the Same Old Grind Battleship U.S.S. Ohio Beechwold Pillars Benjamin Russell Hanby Bergstresser/Dietz Covered Bridge Beulah Park Bexley Bexley World War II Memorial Big Darby and Little Darby Creeks Big Darby Creek Big Walnut Creek Flood of Jan-Feb 1959 Bill Moose Bill Moose [Crowfoot] Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Blendon Central Cemetery Blendon Church Bell Blendon Township War Memorial Blendon Township's Early Presbyterian Churches and Church Bell Bob Evans Double-Crib Log Barn Borror-Roach Windmill Brick Protest and Taking Action Bricks with Names Broad Street Bridge Browning Amphitheatre / The Outdoor Performance Center Bryden Road Historic District Camp Bushnell Camp Chase Camp Chase Camp Chase Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery Campbell Memorial Park / The Adena Culture Canal Winchester Canal Winchester and the Ohio and Erie Canal Canal Winchester Veterans Memorial Canal Winchester Vietnam Veterans Memorial Capital University Captain Eddie Rickenbacker Carrie Nelson Black Celebration of Life Central College Presbyterian Church Central High School Central Presbyterian Church Charity Newsies Circa 1864 Circa 1870 Circa 1870 Circa 1872 Circa 1872 Circa 1875 Circa Mid 1888 Clarence Boal Hoover / Charles Potter Hoover Clinton Theater / Memory Lane Clinton Township High School / East North Broadway Historic District Clintonville / Clinton Township Coach Woody Hayes Coach Woody Hayes Columbia Building Columbus City Hall Columbus Civic Center Historic District Columbus Depot Columbus Feeder Canal / The Ohio- Erie Canal Columbus Main Library / Judge Noah Swayne Home Columbus Monument Columbus' First Professional Game Confederate Cannonball Council Site Between William Henry Harrison and Indians Darling Nelly Gray Deaf School Park Dedicated to Maria C. Klemack-McGraw Discovery Park Dispatch Newspaper Depot Disposal of Land in Plain Township Dominion Land Company Mound An Early Woodlands Period Structure/Sunwall and Moonwall Murals Donn Vickers Gazebo in Thurber Park Dr. Leslie A. Bostic Dublin Veterans Memorial Dublin Veterans Park Dublin/Kosciuszko Timeline Eastmoor Eclectic Medical College Edward Phelps Elijah Pierce Ellen Walker Craig-Jones Engine House 11 F-100D "Super Sabre" F-84F "Thunderstreak" Faith United Methodist Church Father Rocco Petrarca Field of Corn Field of Corn Field of Corn Field of Corn Field of Corn First Blendon Presbyterian Church First Modern Streamflow Measurement in Ohio Flint Veterans Garden Flytown Forest Lawn Veterans Memorial Former Federal Court Building and Post Office Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent Formerly Maryland Park Founders of New Albany Frank Fetch Frank Fetch Park Franklin County Civil War Memorial Franklin County Soldiers of the Mexican War Franklin Hills Cemetery Veterans Section Franklinton Fred Holdridge and Howard Burns Freedom Brutus Funk-Ziegenspeck Granary Gahanna Veterans Memorial Galloway World War II Memorial Gantz Park Labyrinth General Curtis E. LeMay General John Hunt Morgan, CSA / Morgan's Escape George and Christina Ealy House and Land George Bellows / Roy Lichtenstein Gold Star Families Memorial Gold Star Mothers Grace's Garden Green Lawn Cemetery Grove City Cemetery Association Grove City Honor Roll Grove City Veterans Memorial Groveport Log House Groveport United Methodist Church Groveport Veterans' Park Groveport World War II Memorial Haines-Black House Hanby House Hanford Village Hannah Neil Mission And Home For The Friendless Harding Hospital Campus Harold M. Cooper Headquarters of General William H. Harrison Here Stood Lincoln Heritage Green Park Hilliard Veterans Memorial Historic Groveport Historic Lockbourne History of Dublin’s Town Pump Home Site of Henry Howe — Historian Hurryville Ice Over Ohio In Memory of Benjamin R. Hanby In This Churchyard Indian Run Cemetery Intersect Iskcon Krishna House Jack Kidwell Jack Nicklaus James A. Rhodes James J. Thomas Park James Kilbourne / Worthington Hotel James Thurber Jeffers Mound Jesse Owens Johann Christian Heyl Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller John Brickell John Clark House John Rarey and "Cruiser" John S. Rarey and Cruiser Jones Log Barn Joseph M. Briggs and Briggsdale / Briggsdale Kegg-Kientz Log House Kelton House King Lincoln District Arch Kosciuszko Land Grant Leatherlips Leatherlips Leithart House Lincoln Goodale Lindey's Livingston House Lockbourne Veterans' Memorial Log House Lucas Sullivant Home Site Lutherans in Jackson Township Mary Armstrong Maurice Gates Maynard E. Sensenbrenner Mayor Robert E. Evans Clock and Memorial McDannald Pioneer Homestead Memorial Bridge Merion Village Mifflin Township Veterans Memorial Mile Markers Mills of Plain Township Minerva Amusement Park / The Green Line Monsignor John Joseph Jessing Mount Vernon Avenue Mount Vernon Community School N.W. Franklin County Historical Society and Museum Native Americans NECKO Neighborhood / E. J. McMillen Homestead Addition Neil Avenue Gate New Albany and Plain Township Veterans and First Responders Memorial Norton Field Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station Ohio and Erie Canal in Groveport / Scioto Valley Interurban Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22 Ohio Dominican University Est. 1911 / Early Sister-Founderesses of Ohio Dominican University Ohio Farm Bureau Founded Ohio in the Civil War / Defending Ohio Ohio Institution for Education of the Blind Ohio School for the Deaf Ohio State House Ohio State School for the Blind Ohio Statehouse Centennial Ohio World War Memorial Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks / The Columbus Feeder Canal Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks / The Columbus Feeder Canal Ohio's Oldest Active School Old Franklinton Cemetery Old Franklinton Cemetery Archaeology Old Ohio Union Old Red House Orange Johnson House Orders Road School / The Orders Family Original Port Columbus Airport Terminal Otterbein College Our Unknown Dead Ovid Wellford Smith Peace Phelps Acre Park Philo Webster and Webster Graveyard Pioneer Cemetery Armed Forces Memorial Postle Family Cemetery Prentiss School No. 8 Pvt. Alfred Cannon Rand P. Hollenback Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli / Chiesta Italiana di San Giovanni Battista Reynoldsburg Reynoldsburg - Birthplace of the Tomato Rocky Fork Metro Park Roy J. Plunkett Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent / Church and Graveyard Saint Mary of the Springs Academy / Anne O'Hare McCormick 1880-1954 Schiller Park Schmidt's Sausage Haus Scioto River Historical Marker Scioto Trail Second Baptist Church / James P. Poindexter Sherol Saxton Mulligan Shiloh Baptist Church Shrum Indian Mound Site of First Ohio State Home Football Game / The Ohio State University First Football Team 1890 Site of First Wendy's Restaurant Smith’s Burying Ground: Pioneer Cemetery Snowden- Gray House Southwood Elementary School Spirit of the Springs St. Clair Hospital St. Joseph Cathedral St. Mary Church St. Patrick Church / St. Patrick College and Aquinas College High School St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church Starling Medical College and St. Francis Hospital Stoner House Stories in the Sediments Stradley Place Sunset Cemetery All Veterans Memorial Sunset Cemetery Spanish-American War Memorial Sunset Cemetery War Memorial Temperance Row Historic District Thaddeus Kosciuszko History The Alkire House The Bank Block The Bicentennial Oak The Borror Family / Borror's Corners The Breathing Association The Brothers' House The Charity Newsies The Clippers The Columbus Buckeyes The Columbus Senators The Drexel Theater The Ellsworth Chapel The Fireproof Building The First Telephone Central Office in Columbus Ohio The Founding of Worthington / Worthington, A Planned Community The Glaciers Did It The Grant Homestead The Harrison House The Home of Benjamin R. Hanby The Interurban Depot The Irish in Columbus The Jesse Owens Track The Jets The King Avenue Bridge The Lane Avenue Bridges The Lincoln Theatre The National Road The National Road / The Interurban Electric Railway The Negro Leagues in Columbus The Ohio Military Hall of Fame Monument The Ohio State Fair The Ohio State University The Ohio Statehouse / Lincoln at the Statehouse The Ohio Theater The Ohio to Erie Trail The Railroads The Red Birds The Refugee Tract The Spirit of ’98 The State House The State House The Story of The Schiller Monument The Sylvester Ranney House The Underground Railroad The Underground Railroad / Black Conductors of Columbus The Underground Railroad on University Land The Underground Railroad on University Land The Underground Railroad on University Land The Underground Railroad on University Land The Underground Railroad on University Land The Unknown Boy Scout The Upper Arlington Historic District The Urban Face of the Scioto River The Voss Site The Western League Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Oak This Confederate Cemetery Tiney M. McComb Tod Barracks, 1863 Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station / Macklin Hotel Topiary Garden Town Center Gazebo Town Street Bridge Transportation, Growth, and Development Trinity Episcopal Church Trinity Episcopal Church Trinity Lutheran Seminary Tuskegee Airmen United Mine Workers of America University Hall Veterans Fountain Veterans Memorial Veterans Memorial Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9473 Veterans Memorial Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9473 War Memorial Wagnor Cemetery War! – “It Is All Hell” Wesley Chapel Methodist Church Westerville White Oak Whitehall Tavern Wilbur H. Siebert Collection William and Hannah Neil William Green, Labor Leader / The Columbus Streetcar Strike, 1910 William Hanby, Freedom Crusader William McKinley Working Class Neighborhoods World War Memorial Bridge Worthington Historic District Worthington Masonic Museum Wray Year of Construction Early 1900s "Coming Home 1942" "Park and Broadway in 1924" “These Are My Jewels”
The Ohio River, which forms the state's southern border, played a significant role in the Underground Railroad, a network of secret routes and safe houses used by African American slaves to escape to freedom in the North before the Civil War.
Franklin County, located in central Ohio, has a rich and diverse history that spans centuries. The area was once inhabited by Indigenous peoples, including the Shawnee and Wyandot tribes, who were later displaced by European settlement. The first European settlers arrived in the late 18th century, and the county was organized in 1803 as part of the Northwest Territory.

In its early years, Franklin County played a significant role in the development of Ohio. It served as the state capital when Ohio became a state in 1803 until 1816. The County's central location made it an ideal hub for trade and commerce, and its proximity to transportation routes, such as the National Road and later the railroads, further solidified its importance.

Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, Franklin County experienced significant growth and urbanization. The population expanded rapidly, particularly in the city of Columbus, which became the county seat. Columbus became a major center for industry, education, and government. The Statehouse, which was completed in the late 19th century, stands as a symbol of the county's role as the state capital.

Franklin County has also been instrumental in shaping American politics. It served as a political battleground during the Civil War and has remained an important region for political activity ever since. Today, Franklin County continues to grow and thrive as a vibrant community filled with diverse industries, cultural attractions, and a strong focus on education and research.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Franklin County, Ohio.

  • 1803: Franklin County is established on April 30.
  • 1808: The Ohio Statehouse construction begins.
  • 1812: The first issue of the "Ohio Monitor" newspaper is published.
  • 1816: The Columbus Dispatch newspaper is established.
  • 1834: The Ohio State Archives is founded.
  • 1837: The Ohio Statehouse construction is completed.
  • 1851: The National Road reaches Columbus.
  • 1862: The Camp Chase Confederate prison opens.
  • 1873: The Franklin County Courthouse construction is completed.
  • 1899: The Columbus Metropolitan Library is established.
  • 1916: The Ohio Theatre opens in Columbus.
  • 1950: The population of Franklin County exceeds half a million.
  • 1964: The Ohio Expo Center & State Fairgrounds is created.
  • 1974: The Franklin County Veterans Memorial is dedicated.
  • 2012: The Columbus Clippers win the Triple-A baseball championship.