National Register Listings in
Erie County, Ohio

Abbott-Page House Adams Street Double House Andrews, Ebenezer, House Barber Shop Barker School Barney, Freeland T., House Bates-Cockrem House Bavarian Brewery Baxtine House Beatty, Louis, House Beecher, Lucas, House Bing's Hotel Boalt, John, House Boeckling Building Boeckling, G. A., House BOECKLING, G.A., (side-paddlewheel steamboat) Boy with the Boot Fountain Bradley's, Capt., Second House Bradley, Capt. Alva, House Butler, Cyrus, House Cable Park Historic District Cable, Frank, House Cable, Laurence House Campbell School Cargo Warehouse Carnegie Library Castalia Trout Club Cedar Point Light Christ Episcopal Church Coliseum Columbus Avenue Historic District Commercial Banking & Trust Co. Converse-Mertz Apartments Cooke, Eleutheros, House Cooke, Eleutheros, House Cooke-Robertson House Curtis, William D., House Dentzel, William H., 1921 Carousel Dentzel, William H., 1924 Carousel Denzel, John, House Doerzbach, George J., House Downtown Sandusky Commercial Historic District Edison, Thomas Alva, Birthplace Emmanuel Church Engels And Krudwig Wine Company Buildings Engels, Herman, House Engine House No. 1 Engine House No. 3 Englebry's Dry Goods Englebry's, Dr., Office Erie County Bank Building Erie County Infirmary Erie County Jail Erie County Office Building Erie County Oil Products Co. Evangelical and Reformed Church Exchange Hotel Facer's Store Feick Building First Baptist Church First Church of Christ Scientist First Congregational Church Florence Corners School Follett-Moss-Moss Residences Fox's Brewery-Diamond Wine Co. FRANCIS, JOSEPH, IRON SURF BOAT Gilchrist, Capt., House Gilchrist, Capt., Sr., House Godfrey-Johnson House Grace Episcopal Church Graefe, Henry, House Great American Racing Derby Great Lakes Historical Society Marine Museum Harper, Rice, House Hart's Drug Store Hemminger Saloon Hinde & Dauch Paper Co. Hinde & Dauch Paper Co. Hinde & Dauch Paper Co. Hinde, James J., House Holy Angels Church Horton, Capt. Charles, House Hotel Rieger House at 624 Washinton St. House on Huron Ave. Hubbard, Lester, House Hubbard, S. B., House Huron Harbor Light Huron School Independent Order of Odd Fellows Temple Inscription Rock Jackson Jr. High School Jenkins-Perry House Kelleys Island South Shore District Kerber's Marine Grocery Kishman Fish Company Buildings Kuebeler, August, House Kuebeler-Stang Block Lake Shore And Michigan Southern Railroad Depot Lane, Ebenezer, House Lea Block Lockwood, J. C., House Lotz, Henry, Stone Mad River Block Mallory, Ogden, House March, George, House Marshall, James E., House Masonic Temple Building McKenster-Groff House Melville-Milne, William Gordon, House Mertz, John, House Meyers, Capt., House Milan Historic District Minch, Capt., House Mitchell Historic District Monroe School Moss-Foster House Muller, Daniel C., Carousel Murschel House Nickel, Old, Plate Railroad Depot No. 5 Fire Station Oakland Cemetery Chapel and Superintendent's House and Office Ohio Soldiers' And Sailors' Home Old First Church Old Funeral Palor Old Harbour Store Old Interurban Station Old Jib's Corner Old Mill Old Vermilion Banking Company Building Old Vermilion Mill Osborne School Pelton House Pelton, Old, Hotel Rae, Capt., House Red Popcorn Wagon Root, Joseph, House Ross Hardware Sail Loft Schine State Theatre Second Baptist Church Simpson, Walter, House Simpson, William A., House Sloane, Rush R., House Spacecraft Propulsion Research Facility St. Mary Parish Hall St. Mary's Catholic Church St. Mary's Girls Grade School St. Mary's Rectory St. Mary's School St.Stephens' AME Church Stagecoach Inn Stang, John, House Starr-Truscott House Steamboat Hotel Stoffel, Henry, Blacksmith Shop Stoll, Adam J., House Stone House, The Stone's Block Sts. Peter & Paul Church and Rectory Sycamore School Taylor-Frohman House Third National Bank Townsend, William T., House U.S. Coast Guard Building U.S. Post Office Union, Old, School Building Vermilion Town Hall Von Schulenburg, Ernst, House Wadsworth, James, House Wagner Palace Walper, Capt. Henry, House Water Street Commercial Buildings West Market School White, Samuel M., House Wichman's Grocery Willdred Flats Young, Capt., House Zion Lutheran Church
The Wright brothers, who invented and flew the first successful airplane, were from Dayton, Ohio. The city is now home to the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
Erie County, Ohio is located in the northeastern part of the state, bordering the southern shore of Lake Erie. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Erie and Iroquois, before European settlers arrived. The first permanent European settlement in the county was established in 1808 by Platt Benedict, who built a log cabin near present-day Milan.

During the 19th century, Erie County experienced significant growth and development. The completion of the Erie Canal in 1825, which connected the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean, played a crucial role in the county's economic expansion. The canal brought increased trade, industry, and population to the region, with several towns and villages springing up along its path, including Huron and Sandusky.

Sandusky, the county seat, became a prominent center of commerce and transportation due to its location on Lake Erie. The city served as a major port for shipping goods, and the growth of the railroad network in the mid-19th century further enhanced its prominence. Sandusky also became a popular destination for tourists, with the development of resorts and amusement parks along its waterfront.

In the 20th century, Erie County continued to thrive as industries such as manufacturing and tourism flourished. The county's manufacturing sector played a significant role in supporting the local economy, producing goods ranging from automobiles to furniture. The establishment of Cedar Point amusement park in the late 1800s solidified Sandusky's status as a tourist destination, attracting visitors from across the country.

Today, Erie County remains an important economic and cultural hub in Ohio. It is known for its natural beauty, with picturesque landscapes, sandy beaches, and wildlife habitats. The county continues to draw tourists with attractions like Cedar Point and the Lake Erie Islands, while also maintaining a strong manufacturing sector.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Erie County, Ohio.

  • 1800: Erie County is established by the Northwest Territory Act.
  • 1807: The first European settlers, the Cuddeback brothers, arrive in the area.
  • 1817: The county seat is established in Milan.
  • 1824: The Erie Canal opens, connecting the Great Lakes to the Hudson River.
  • 1838: The Ohio State Reformatory, a historic prison, is built in Milan.
  • 1882: The Sandusky Bay Bridge, now known as the Thomas A. Edison Memorial Bridge, is completed.
  • 1903: The Cedar Point amusement park opens, becoming a major tourist attraction.
  • 1919: The Great Lakes Historical Society is founded in Vermilion to preserve and promote the history of the Great Lakes region.
  • 1970: The Stranahan Arboretum is established in Toledo, offering a natural retreat for visitors.
  • 1991: The Merry-Go-Round Museum is opened in Sandusky, showcasing the history and artistry of carousel animals.