National Register Listings in
St. Lawrence County, New York

Acker and Evans Law Office Arab Mountain Fire Observation Station Baldwin, Benjamin Gordon, House Bayside Cemetery and Gatehouse Complex Brick Chapel Church and Cemetery Brown, Luke, House Buck's Bridge United Methodist Church Chase Mills Inn Childwold Memorial Presbyterian Church Clare Town Hall Clarkson Office Building Clarkson-Knowles Cottage Congregational Church Cox, Gardner, House Crossover Island Light Station Dr. Buck-Stevens House Edwards Town Hall Fine Town Hall Fine, Judge John, House First Baptist Church of Ogdensburg Complex First Congregational Church of Madrid First Presbyterian Church Complex First Presbyterian Church of Dailey Ridge Ford, Jacob, House Fort La Presentation Site French Family Farm Harrison Grist Mill Hepburn Library Hepburn Library of Colton Hepburn Library of Lisbon Herring-Cole Hall, St. Lawrence University Hopkinton Green Historic District Knollwood Land Office Library Park Historic District Lisbon Railroad Depot Lisbon Town Hall Market Street Historic District Methodist Episcopal Church of East DeKalb Miller, Paschal, House Morristown Schoolhouse New York State Armory Ogdensburg Armory Ogdensburg Harbor Lighthouse Oswegatchie Pumping Station Parmeter, Nathaniel, House Pickens Hall Pierrepont Town Buildings Potsdam Civic Center Complex Potsdam State Normal School Campus Raymondville Parabolic Bridge Richardson Hall, St. Lawrence University Russell Town Hall St. Lawrence University-Old Campus Historic District Stocking, Samuel, House Stone Windmill Sunday Rock Trinity Episcopal Chapel Trinity Episcopal Church U.S. Customshouse U.S. Post Office United Methodist Church United Presbyterian Church US Post Office-Canton US Post Office-Gouverneur US Post Office-Potsdam Village Park Historic District Village Park Historic District (Boundary Increase II) Village Park Historic District (Boundary Increase) Waddington Historic District Wallace, Jonathan, House Wanakena Presbyterian Church Watkins-Sisson House West Stockholm Historic District Wright's Stone Store Young Memorial Church Zion Episcopal Church and Rectory
Available on Amazon
In 1945, the United Nations was established in New York City, and its headquarters is located on a 17-acre site on the east side of Manhattan overlooking the East River.
St. Lawrence County, located in northern New York, has a rich and varied history that dates back thousands of years. The earliest known inhabitants of the area were Native American tribes, particularly the Mohawk and Iroquois Confederacy, who relied on the region's abundant natural resources for sustenance and trade. European explorers and fur traders began arriving in the 17th century, with Samuel de Champlain being one of the first to visit the area in 1609.

The area that is now known as St. Lawrence County was officially established in 1802 when it was carved out of previously established counties. The county was named after the St. Lawrence River, which flows along its northern border. During the early 19th century, the construction of the Erie Canal and the development of the Great Lakes transportation system brought significant economic growth to the region. The county became a prominent hub for trade, agriculture, and manufacturing.

St. Lawrence County played a significant role in the development of the United States during the War of 1812. The region saw numerous military engagements, including the Battle of Ogdensburg in 1813. The county's strategic location along the St. Lawrence River made it an essential supply route and defensive position for both the American and British forces.

In the 20th century, St. Lawrence County experienced further economic growth with the expansion of industries such as mining, forestry, and tourism. The county is home to the popular Adirondack Park, a vast protected wilderness area known for its stunning natural beauty and outdoor recreational opportunities. Today, St. Lawrence County continues to thrive as a vibrant community that celebrates its diverse history and embraces its natural resources.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of St. Lawrence County, New York.

  • 1791: St. Lawrence County is established as an original county of the state of New York.
  • 1802: The county seat is established in the village of Ogdensburg.
  • 1828: Construction of the St. Lawrence Canal begins.
  • 1831: Completion of the St. Lawrence Canal, facilitating transportation and commerce in the region.
  • 1850: The Talcottville-Two Taverns Road is completed, providing a major transportation route through the county.
  • 1862: The St. Lawrence County Fair is first held, becoming an annual tradition in the region.
  • 1887: Formation of the Adirondack Park, encompassing a portion of St. Lawrence County.
  • 1906: The St. Lawrence Power Dam is completed, harnessing the power of the St. Lawrence River.
  • 1941-1945: St. Lawrence County residents actively participate in World War II.
  • 1960s: Development of the St. Lawrence Seaway, opening new opportunities for international shipping and trade.
  • 1980s: Economic decline in the region due to restructuring of industries.
  • Present day: St. Lawrence County continues to be a hub for outdoor recreational activities, tourism, and education.