Historical Markers in
St. Lawrence County, New York

311 Washington Street A Tribute to Our Nation's Defenders Abbe Picquet 1708 -1781 Agricultural School Aka Se We':Ka Tsi (Oswegatchie) America’s Fourth Coast Attack on the Fort Atwood Hall Bay Road Cemetery Bayside Cemetery Benjamin Forsyth: The Daring Commando Brasher Falls Vietnam Memorial Brewer Bookstore British Raid Canton's Islands / Falls Island in 1898 Catholic Church Civil War Memorial Civil War Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Cooper’s Rock Cox's Mill Crane Institute Crossover Island Curtis Homestead Dedicated in Honor and in Memory of the Brave Men and Women of Madrid Dedicated to All Members of the U.S. Armed Forces DeKalb Junction DeKalb Village Early Power Eisenhower Lock Federal Building (United States Courthouse) First Church First Church First Presbyterian Church of Dailey Ridge Floods, Fires, and Pollution Fort de la Présentation - 1749-1759 Fort la Présentation Fort Lévis - 1760 Fort Oswegatchie 1760-1796 Francis Findlay Hanbidge Frederic Remington (1861 - 1909) George Redington House Global War on Terrorism Memorial Griffiths Arts Center Groulx Park Gunnison Chapel Helen Rich Herring - Cole Hall Home and Country Home of Silas Wright Honor Roll Honor Roll World War II Hopkinton Green Historic District Hosmer Hall How Ogdensburgh Captured Brockville In Honor of Edward John Noble In Honor of the Students and Alumni In Loving Memory In Loving Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice In Memoriam In Memory of those Citizens from the Town of Canton In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice In Tribute to Rhoda Fox Graves James McCormick Jerry Welsh Gymnasium John Alexander "Bid" McPhee John Fine Kellas Hall Korean War Veterans Leo Lashomb Field at Springs Park Logging and Lumbering Madrid Historic Businesses Madrid Stone Bridge Mike Nicholas Field Military Road N.M. Curtis New York Armory, Ogdensburg Centennial Nicholas "Nic" Sovie USMC North Country Sailors' Memorial Oak Point Ogden Island Mansion Ogdensburg And Forsyth: Friends Or Enemies Ogdensburg Public Library Ogdensburgh And The War One Lane Bridge Operation Enduring Freedom Monument Operation Iraqi Freedom Monument Ornamental Lighting Equipment Overbrook Parish Tavern Parishville Patriot Burials Persian Gulf War Potsdam Fire Department Members Who Served in World War II Potsdam Raquette River Walk Potsdam Raquette River Walk Potsdam Raquette River Walk Potsdam Raquette River Walk - Hydro Site Pulp Grinding Limestone Wheels Pulpwood Grinding Wheel Railroads Come To The North Country Raymond Hall Remington Art Memorial Rensselaer Falls War Memorial Revolutionary War Memorial Richardson Hall Richville Village Richville Welsh Congregational Church Road Juncture Rushton Boat Shop Sandstoner Park Satterlee Hall Sheriff Joseph York’s Stand Silas Wright Singer Castle on Dark Island Site Of First Bridge Site of First School in Massena Site of First Talc Mill in United States Site of Log Cabin of Luke Brown St. Lawrence - Franklin D. Roosevelt Power Project St. Lawrence Academy St. Lawrence River and Massena St. Lawrence University St. Paul's Episcopal Church Star Lake Stone Quarry Stone Wind Mill Sykes Hall Thatcher Hall The Attack on the Village The Battle of Ogdensburg The Chippewa Bay Area The Clarkson-Knowles Cottage The East Channel of the Grasse River The Empire State The First Presbyterian Church and the Gouverneur Museum The Grist Mill The History of Sunday Rock The King Iron Bowstring Bridge The Natural Environment The Ogdensburg Agreement The Sash and Blind Factory The SS Mary The St. Lawrence Plain The Thousand Islands The Thousand Islands The West Channel of the Grasse River They Live with Us in Grateful Memory of their Sacrifice This was the First Road in the Town of Parishville Timerman Hall Town of Potsdam Town of Stockholm War Memorial Township of Oswegatchie World War II Roll of Honor Train Wreck United Church of Madrid Veterans Memorial Veterans of the American War of Independence Vietnam War Vilas Hall Village of Waddington Village Park and Main Street Waddington Town Hall War of 1812 War of 1812 War of 1812 War of 1812 Gravesites Water Street and the Third Dam West Branch St. Regis River What Happened To The Patriots William McNeil Wilson Hill Wildlife Management Area World War II Memorial World War Memorial World War Memorial World Wars Memorial "Lest We Forget"
The first capital of the United States was actually located in New York City, from 1785 to 1790. The city also served as the temporary capital while Washington, D.C. was being built.
St. Lawrence County, located in northern New York, has a rich and varied history that dates back thousands of years. The earliest known inhabitants of the area were Native American tribes, particularly the Mohawk and Iroquois Confederacy, who relied on the region's abundant natural resources for sustenance and trade. European explorers and fur traders began arriving in the 17th century, with Samuel de Champlain being one of the first to visit the area in 1609.

The area that is now known as St. Lawrence County was officially established in 1802 when it was carved out of previously established counties. The county was named after the St. Lawrence River, which flows along its northern border. During the early 19th century, the construction of the Erie Canal and the development of the Great Lakes transportation system brought significant economic growth to the region. The county became a prominent hub for trade, agriculture, and manufacturing.

St. Lawrence County played a significant role in the development of the United States during the War of 1812. The region saw numerous military engagements, including the Battle of Ogdensburg in 1813. The county's strategic location along the St. Lawrence River made it an essential supply route and defensive position for both the American and British forces.

In the 20th century, St. Lawrence County experienced further economic growth with the expansion of industries such as mining, forestry, and tourism. The county is home to the popular Adirondack Park, a vast protected wilderness area known for its stunning natural beauty and outdoor recreational opportunities. Today, St. Lawrence County continues to thrive as a vibrant community that celebrates its diverse history and embraces its natural resources.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of St. Lawrence County, New York.

  • 1791: St. Lawrence County is established as an original county of the state of New York.
  • 1802: The county seat is established in the village of Ogdensburg.
  • 1828: Construction of the St. Lawrence Canal begins.
  • 1831: Completion of the St. Lawrence Canal, facilitating transportation and commerce in the region.
  • 1850: The Talcottville-Two Taverns Road is completed, providing a major transportation route through the county.
  • 1862: The St. Lawrence County Fair is first held, becoming an annual tradition in the region.
  • 1887: Formation of the Adirondack Park, encompassing a portion of St. Lawrence County.
  • 1906: The St. Lawrence Power Dam is completed, harnessing the power of the St. Lawrence River.
  • 1941-1945: St. Lawrence County residents actively participate in World War II.
  • 1960s: Development of the St. Lawrence Seaway, opening new opportunities for international shipping and trade.
  • 1980s: Economic decline in the region due to restructuring of industries.
  • Present day: St. Lawrence County continues to be a hub for outdoor recreational activities, tourism, and education.