Historical Markers in
Richmond County, New York

102nd Observation Squadron 1917 - In Commemoration - 1918 5910 Amboy Road 9-11 Memorial Steel Arctic Fox / Red Fox Arthur Von Briesen Park Australia Bald Eagle Battery Catlin Battery Duane Battery Weed Battery Weed Battle of the Bulge Biddle House Billiou-Stillwell-Perine House Billopp House Bishop Francis Asbury Burial Place Cape Barren Goose Carl Grillo Glass House Charleston War Memorial Chilena Christopher House Church of Saint Andrew Church of St. Andrew Civil Service Memorial Commodore John Barry Conference House Conference House and Museum Corporal Allan F. Kivlehan Park Cottage Row CYO Memorial Tree Daniel D. Tompkins Defending New York Harbor Dongan Hills WWII Memorial Dr. Patricia O'Connor Halloran Dry Moat and Counterscarp Ducks Easter Rising Memorial Edgewater Village Hall Edward Z. de Csipkes Egbert Square Elm Tree Light Faber Park and Pool Father Capodanno Memorial Father John C. Drumcoole Five Brothers Fort Tompkins Fort Wadsworth Fort Wadsworth Founding of the Dutch Church G.A.R. Veterans of the Civil War Memorial Garibaldi Memorial Giovanni Verrazzano Gretta Moulton Gate Historic Fort Wadsworth Historic Richmondtown Honor Roll Hurricane Sandy Memorial Garden Huttner-Pasqualini Post, American Legion Memorial In Loving Memory of Sister Mary Ann In Memory of Lieutenant Vincent R. Capodanno Jacques Marchais Center of Tibeten Art Jerome X. O'Donovan Pond Joseph W. Palmer Korean War Veterans Park Mangalitsa Pig Maritime New York Memorial to Clarence T. Barrett Michael J. Leonard Memorial Plaza Midland Beach Veterans Memorial Miller Field Mount Loretto Bluffs Mount Loretto History Music Hall National Lighthouse Museum Neptune Fountain Neville House New Brighton World War II Memorial New Dorp Beach Memorial New Dorp WWII Memorial New Dorp, S.I. Honor Roll Nicholas De Matti Playground North American River Otters Original Moravian Church Othmar Hermann Ammann Patriots under Gen. Mercer Pleasant Plains Memorial POW MIA Memorial Park Powered by the Sun Quarantine Boarding Station Randall Memorial Reflections of a Maritime Community Reformed Protestant Dutch Church Relatives of Elizabeth Bayley Seton Rev. John C. Drumgoole. Rezeau-Van Pelt Family Cemetery Roald Amundsen Memorial Robert Richard Randall Rose and Crown Tavern Rosebank 9-11 Memorial Rosebank Honor Roll Sailor's Snug Harbor Saint Mary’s Church Seguine Mansion September 11, 2001 Living Memorial Grove Site of 18th century structures Site of Aquilino's Pizzeria and Restaurant Site of Dobler's Court House Hotel Site of the former Dutch Reformed Church of Richmond Site of the Richmond County Jail Site of the Richmond County Mutual Insurance Company South Cliff St. Alban’s Episcopal Church St. Andrew’s Church St. Elizabeth’s St. James Hotel St. Mary’s Church War Memorials St. Patrick's Church Staten Island / Trinity Church Cemetery Staten Island Civil War Memorial Staten Island Museum, Building A Staten Island War Dog Memorial Staten Island World War I Memorial Staten Island World War I Memorial Sullivan’s Attack The 1907 Lamp Shop The Administration Building The Barracks The Bells of the Church of Saints Joachim and Ann The Church of Saint Joachim – Saint Ann The Conference House The Four Chaplains The Governor's House The Great Kills Veterans Memorial The Hiker The King’s Highway The Pelton House The Three Sisters Garden The Treasure House The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge The Watering Place Torpedo Building Torpedo Wharf Tottenville Memorial Park Tottenville September 11 Memorial Clock Trail Crossing United States Merchant Memorial Vanishing Cats Verrazano – Narrows Bridge Veterans Memorial Veterans Memorial Veterans Memorial Park Veterans of All Wars Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig Visitor's Center & Galleries, Building C, Main Hall William Main Doerflinger Woodchuck, a.k.a. Groundhog Woodrow Methodist Church World War II Memorial
Available on Amazon
The first-ever recorded baseball game was played in Hoboken, New Jersey, but the modern rules of the game were established in New York City in 1845 by the New York Knickerbocker Baseball Club.
Richmond County, also known as Staten Island, has a rich and diverse history that spans centuries. It is one of the five boroughs of New York City, located in the southwest part of the city. The island was originally home to several Native American tribes, including the Lenape, who had a peaceful existence until the arrival of European settlers.

In 1609, Henry Hudson, an English explorer working for the Dutch East India Company, sailed into the waters around Staten Island. This marked the beginning of European colonization in the area. The Dutch and the English both claimed the island, and it went back and forth between the two powers until the English finally gained control in 1664.

During the American Revolutionary War, Staten Island played a significant role. The British used the island as a base of operations, due to its strategic location between New York City and New Jersey. The notorious Battle of Staten Island took place in 1776, with the British successfully defending their position against an American attack.

In the mid-19th century, Staten Island transformed from a rural agricultural community into a residential suburb. The construction of the Staten Island Ferry in 1886 provided convenient transportation to and from Manhattan, leading to a population boom. The opening of the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge in 1964 further enhanced accessibility and facilitated even more development.

Today, Richmond County is a vibrant and diverse borough of New York City, known for its suburban charm, beautiful parks, and thriving communities. It is home to a mix of residential, commercial, and industrial areas, with a rich cultural heritage reflected in its museums, historical sites, and events. Despite its growth and urbanization, the island has managed to preserve its natural beauty and remains a beloved retreat for its residents and visitors alike.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Richmond County, New York.

  • Pre-1637: Native American tribes, such as the Lenape, inhabit the land that will become Richmond County.
  • 1637: The Dutch West India Company established a trading post on Staten Island.
  • 1661: Staten Island is officially incorporated as part of the Province of New York.
  • 1670s-1690s: English settlers begin establishing farms and plantations on Staten Island.
  • 1683: Richmond County is established as one of the original counties of the Province of New York.
  • 1776: Staten Island becomes occupied by British forces during the American Revolutionary War.
  • 1783: Following the American Revolution, Staten Island is evacuated by British forces.
  • 1898: Staten Island is consolidated with New York City, becoming one of its five boroughs.
  • 1964: The Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge, connecting Richmond County to Brooklyn, is completed.
  • 2001: Staten Island is severely affected by the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, as many residents were among the victims.