In the mid-19th century, New York City was the largest slaveholding city in the United States, and the largest slave market was located on Wall Street.
Located in the state of New York, Lewis County has a rich history dating back to the early days of European settlement in America. The area that is now Lewis County was originally inhabited by the Iroquois Confederacy, specifically the Oneida and Onondaga nations. The Iroquois were known for their agricultural practices and lived in harmony with the land. However, with the arrival of European settlers, the balance began to shift.

The first European settlers arrived in Lewis County in the late 18th century, primarily from New England. The land was cleared for farming, and the area developed a reputation for its fertile soil and abundant natural resources. The logging industry played a pivotal role in the early settlement of Lewis County, with vast forests being exploited for timber.

In the 19th century, the construction of the Black River Canal brought significant economic opportunities to Lewis County. The canal connected the region to the Erie Canal, allowing for the transport of goods and materials. Many towns and villages sprang up along the canal route, and industries such as milling, tanneries, and manufacturing flourished.

As the 20th century arrived, Lewis County experienced both struggles and advancements. The decline of the logging and textile industries, coupled with the Great Depression, presented challenges to the local economy. However, the construction of hydroelectric power plants along the Black River brought new opportunities for growth and development. Today, Lewis County remains a rural area, known for its scenic beauty, outdoor recreational activities, and strong sense of community.

Overall, Lewis County's history is one of resilience and adaptation. From its early Native American inhabitants to the European settlers and subsequent industries, the area has evolved over time to reflect the changing times while maintaining a connection to its past.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Lewis County, New York.

  • 1798 - Lewis County established as the 23rd county in New York State
  • 1805 - The town of Martinsburg is formed
  • 1806 - The town of Turin is formed
  • 1806 - The town of Leyden is formed
  • 1808 - The town of Harrisburg is formed
  • 1813 - The town of Lowville is formed
  • 1818 - The town of Denmark is formed
  • 1819 - The town of West Turin is formed
  • 1823 - The town of Pinckney is formed
  • 1824 - The town of Croghan is formed
  • 1824 - The town of Watson is formed
  • 1825 - The town of Greig is formed
  • 1841 - The town of Leyden is split into East and West Leyden
  • 1852 - The town of Boonville is formed
  • 1856 - The town of Montague is formed
  • 1870 - The town of Lyonsdale is formed
  • 1872 - The town of Osceola is formed
  • 1872 - The town of New Breman is formed
  • 1896 - The town of Diana is formed
  • 1905 - The town of Greig is split into Beaver Falls and Greig
  • 1915 - The town of Denmark is split into Denmark and Lewis
  • 1931 - The town of Watson splits into East and West Watson
  • 1970 - The town of Leyden is dissolved
  • 1981 - The town of Lyonsdale is split into two parts