National Register Listings in
Morris County, New Jersey

Acorn Hall Alnwick Hall Anthony-Corwin Farm Ayres' Farm Baker Building Berry, Martin, House Beverwyck Site Blackwell Street Historic District Boisaubin Manor Boonton Historic District Boonton Public Library Bottle Hill Historic District Bower, David S., House Bowers-Livingston-Osborn House Bowlsby-Degelleke House Boyle/Hudspeth-Benson House Brookside Campfield, Dr. Jabez, House Carey, Lewis, Farmhouse Cary Station Cary, Stephen, House Chamberlain, George, House Chester House Inn Church in the Glen, The Combs Hollow Community of St. John Baptist Condict, Dr. Lewis, House Condit, Stephen, House Cook, Ellis, House Cooper, Gen. Nathan, Mansion Cooper, Nathan, Gristmill Craft-Clausen House Craftsman Farms Cutler Homestead Davenport-Demarest House Decker-Kincaid Homestead Delaware Lackawanna and Western Railroad Station Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Station Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Station Dixon, James, Farm Dod, John, House and Tavern Doremus House Dusenberry House First Congregational Church First Presbyterian Church of Hanover First Reformed Church of Pompton Plains Flock-Stephens Farmstead Flocktown Schoolhouse Ford, Samuel, Jr.'s, Hammock Farm Ford-Faesch House Fordville Fosterfields (Boundary Increase) Fredericks House Friends Meetinghouse German Valley Historic District Gibbons Mansion Gibbons, William, Stable and Farm Glanville Blacksmith Shop Glynallen Grimes Homestead Hancock, Rev. John, House, Cider Mill and Cemetery Hanover Village Historic District Hartley Farms Howell, Benjamin, Homestead Illumination Gas Plant of the New Jersey State Asylum for the Insane at Morris Plains Jackson, Joseph, House Jenkins-Mead House Kemble, Peter, House King Store and Homestead Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club Ledgewood Historic District Lindenwold Little Red Schoolhouse Low, Effingham, House Madison Civic Commercial District Madison Masonic Lodge Madison Public Library and the James Building Madison Station Mendham Historic District Mendham Historic District (Boundary Increase) Merchiston Farm Methodist Episcopal Church Methodist Episcopal Church of Hibernia Middle Valley Historic District Miller-Kingsland House Miller-Rinehard Farmstead Millington Schoolhouse Millington Station Mills, Timothy, House Montville Schoolhouse Morris Canal Historic District (Boundary Increase) Morris County Courthouse Morris Plains Station Morristown and Erie Railroad Whippany Water Tank Morristown District Morristown Historic District (Boundary Increase) Morristown National Historical Park Morristown School Mott Hollow Mount Arlington Historic District Mount Freedom Presbyterian Church Mount Hope Miners' Church Mount Kemble Home Mount Olive Village Historic District Mount Tabor Historic District Mountain Lakes Historic District Nast, Thomas, Home Neighbor, Jacob Wise (J. W.), House Neighbor, Leonard, Farmstead New Vernon Historic District New York Susquehanna & Western Railroad Station Normandy Park Oak Dell Our Lady of Mercy Chapel Palace Theatre Parlaman, Johannes, House Parsonage of the Montville Reformed Dutch Church Pompton Plains Railroad Station Pruddentown Historic District Ralston Historic District Ralston Historic District (Boundary Increase) Rarick-Kellihan House Revere, Joseph W., House Riggs, Silas, House Ringling, Alfred T., Manor Rockaway Valley Methodist Church Sayre House Schooley's Mountain Historic District Seward House Sharpenstine Farmstead Silver Lake Historic District Slater's Mill Smith, Bridget, House Smith, John, House Speedwell Village-The Factory Split Rock Furnace Spring Brook House Stephens Homestead Tempe Wick Road-Washington Corners Historic District Thompson, David, House Thorne and Eddy Estates Trimmer-Dufford Farmstead Tuttle House Tuttle, David, Cooperage United States Army Steam Locomotive No. 4039 Van Duyne, James, Farm House Van Duyne, Martin, House Van Duyne, Simon, House Van Duyne-Jacobus House Vanness-Linen House Vreeland, Nicholas, Outkitchen Washington Valley Historic District Washington Valley Schoolhouse Whippany Burying Yard Whippany Farm Willow Hall
Available on Amazon
The first recorded boardwalk in the world was built in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1870. The boardwalk was originally constructed as a way to keep sand out of the city's hotels and railway cars.
Morris County, NJ has a rich history that dates back to colonial times. The region was initially settled by the Lenni Lenape Native Americans before being colonized by the Dutch, English, and other European settlers. In the late 17th century, the area became part of Hunterdon County before being established as its own county in 1739. Named after Colonel Lewis Morris, it quickly became an important agricultural and commercial center.

During the American Revolution, Morris County played a significant role as a crucial logistical and supply base for the Continental Army. General George Washington and his troops spent several winters at Jockey Hollow, which is now part of Morristown National Historical Park. The county was also home to the storied Crossroads of the American Revolution, where several pivotal battles and events took place.

In the 19th century, Morris County experienced rapid industrialization and urbanization. The construction of the Morris Canal connected the county to the Hudson River and facilitated the transport of coal, iron, and other goods. The invention of the telegraph and the expansion of the railroad further enhanced its economic growth.

In the 20th century, Morris County continued to evolve and develop. It experienced significant suburbanization and population growth as more people moved out of New York City and other urban centers. The county became known for its beautiful landscapes, historic charm, and high quality of life. Today, Morris County remains a thriving community with a diverse economy, robust cultural institutions, and a strong sense of history that continues to shape its identity.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Morris County, New Jersey.

  • 1694 - The area that is now Morris County, NJ was inhabited by the Lenape Native American tribe.
  • 1739 - Morris County was officially established, being formed from portions of Hunterdon County.
  • 1776-1783 - During the American Revolutionary War, Morris County saw significant military activity, as it provided a strategic location for General George Washington's army.
  • 1784 - The town of Boonton was incorporated, becoming the first town in Morris County.
  • 1827 - The Morris Canal, a major transportation route for goods between Pennsylvania and New York City, was completed, boosting the county's economy.
  • 1837 - The town of Morristown was formally incorporated, becoming the county seat.
  • 1866 - The Jersey Central Railroad opened a line in Morris County, further enhancing transportation and trade opportunities.
  • 1915 - Fosterfields, a historic farm and estate, was established in Morris County.
  • 1956 - The Morris County Park Commission was established to preserve and maintain parks and recreational areas in the county.
  • 1990 - The population of Morris County reached over 400,000, making it one of the most populous counties in New Jersey.