National Register Listings in
Mercer County, New Jersey

Abbott, John II, House Abbott-Decou House Adams and Sickles Building American Cigar Company Building Anderson-Capner House Baker-Brearley House Bear Tavern Road-Jacob's Creek Crossing Rural Historic District Bellevue Avenue Colored School Berkeley Square Historic District Bow Hill Brearley, Charles, House Broad Street National Bank Camden and Amboy Railroad Right of Way Site Clay, Henry and Bock and Company Cigar Factory Cleveland, Grover, Home Dickinson, Gen. Philemon, House Douglass House Drumthwacket East Trenton Public Library Einstein, Albert, House First Presbyterian Church First Presbyterian Church of Pennington Golden Swan-True American Green, William, House Green-Reading House Harbourton Historic District Hart, John D., House Hart-Hoch House Henry, Joseph, House Herring, Donald Grant, Estate Higbee Street School Hog Island Cranes Hopewell Station House at 379 West State Street Hunt Farmstead In and Out Social Club Jugtown Historic District Kingston Mill Historic District Kuser, Rudolph V., Estate Lake Carnegie Historic District Lawrence Township Historic District Lawrenceville School Leigh, Ichabod, House Maddock's, Thomas, Sons Company Mansion House Maybury Hill Mercer Street Friends Center Mill Hill Historic District Morven Mott School and Second Street School Mountain Avenue Historic District Nassau Hall, Princeton University Old Barracks Old Eagle Tavern Old Ryan Farm Pearson, Isaac, House Pennington Railroad Station Penns Neck Baptist Church Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Freight Station Phillips, Joseph, Farm Pleasant Valley Historic District President's House Princeton Battlefield -Stony Brook Village Historic District (Boundary Increase) Princeton Historic District Princeton Ice Company Prospect Riverview Cemetery Roebling Machine Shop Roebling's, John A., Sons Company, Trenton N.J., Block 3 Rogers, John, House Sacred Heart Church Sloan, Samuel, House Smith-Ribsam House Somerset Roller Mills St. Michael's Episcopal Church State House District State House Historic District (Boundary Increase) Stevens, Israel, House Stockton Street Historic District Stokely-Van Camp Industrial Complex Stout, Joseph, House Titusville Historic District Trent, William, House Trenton and Mercer County War Memorial-Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building Trenton Battle Monument Trenton Central Office of the Bell Telephone Company Trenton City Hall Trenton Ferry Historic District Trenton Friends Meeting House Trenton Jewish Community Center Bath House and Day Camp Trenton Watch Company Building-Circle F Manufacturing Company Building Tusculum U.S. Post Office and Courthouse University Cottage Club V. Henry Rothschild-F.A. Straus and Co.-Atlantic Products Corporation Mill Complex Van Cleve, Col. John, Homestead Vandyke, Jeremiah, House Washington Road Elm Allee Watson, Isaac, House Welling, John, House West Trenton Station White, John, House Windsor Historic District Witherspoon Street School for Colored Children Woolsey, Jeremiah, House
The Great Falls of the Passaic River in Paterson, New Jersey, played a key role in the early development of the American industrial revolution. Alexander Hamilton, one of the founding fathers of the United States, helped to develop the first water-powered cotton spinning mill in Paterson in 1791.
Mercer County, located in central New Jersey, has a rich and diverse history that dates back to colonial times. The area was originally home to Native American tribes, such as the Lenape, who were the first inhabitants of the region. However, European settlement began in the early 17th century when Dutch and Swedish explorers arrived in the area and established trading posts.

In the late 17th century, the land that is now Mercer County was part of Burlington County. However, in 1838, Mercer County was formed and named after General Hugh Mercer, an American Revolutionary War hero. Initially, Mercer County included many towns and villages that are now part of other counties. Over time, the county's boundaries changed, and it eventually settled into its present shape.

During the American Revolution, Mercer County played a significant role. The Battle of Trenton, a crucial turning point in the war, took place here in December 1776. General George Washington and his troops launched a surprise attack on Hessian mercenaries, resulting in a victory for the Continental Army. This event boosted the morale of the revolutionaries and inspired future military successes.

In the 19th and 20th centuries, Mercer County experienced rapid industrialization and urbanization. Trenton, the county seat and capital of New Jersey, became known for its manufacturing and agricultural industries. The city was a prominent center for ceramics and pottery production, with the iconic Trenton Pottery being created. Notable industries also included ironworks, steel production, and textiles. Today, Mercer County continues to be an important economic hub, combining urban development with suburban and rural areas.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Mercer County, New Jersey.

  • Original Native American tribes inhabit the area that is now Mercer County.
  • 1678 - European settlers begin to arrive in the region.
  • 1714 - Mercer County is established as part of Burlington County.
  • 1739 - Princeton is founded and becomes a prominent educational and cultural center in the county.
  • 1758 - Trenton is officially incorporated as a town.
  • 1800 - Mercer County is formed as a separate entity from Burlington County.
  • 1837 - Mercer County's courthouse is constructed in Trenton.
  • 1860s - The region experiences industrial growth with the development of manufacturing and transportation industries.
  • 1915 - Mercer County Park is established and becomes a popular recreational area.
  • 1957 - Mercer County Community College is founded.
  • 1970s - Mercer County's economy shifts towards services and education as manufacturing declines.
  • 1990 - The New Jersey State House in Trenton is added to the National Register of Historic Places.