Historical Markers in
Hunterdon County, New Jersey

19th Century Lime Kiln 9-11 Memorial Sundial Academy af Arts & Science Adam Bellis Homestead Adrian Lane's Grist Mill Agricultural First Alexandria Presbyterian Church Amsterdam Historic District Amwell Academy Amwell Church Amwell Militia Amwell Skirmish Annandale 9-11 Memorial Annandale Historic District Annandale Reformed Church August Wilhelm Knispel Baptistown Barber Cemetery Barbertown Bellewood Park Bellis - Durham - Totten Farm Belvidere Delaware Railroad Bethlehem Baptist Church Bethlehem Presbyterian Church Bethlehem Township Veterans Memorial Black River and Western Railroad Blacksmith Shop Bloomsbury Catholic Church Bloomsbury Presbyterian Church Bloomsbury Veterans Monument Blue Star Highway Bluebirds, On The Road To Recovery Bog Meadows Bonetown Bonnell’s Tavern Bridge Street Buchanan's Tavern Bunker Hill School House C.K. Hoffman Veterans Memorial Park Califon Califon Methodist Episcopal Church Califon Veterans Monument Camp Buck Capt. Archd. S. Taylor Capt. Jacob Gearhart Captain Daniel Bray Centenary Methodist Church Centerville Central Railroad Of New Jersey Centre Bridge Centre Bridge / Delaware and Raritan Canal Feeder Century Inn Changewater Trestle Cherry Hill Black Cemetery Cherryville Christopher Vought House Civil War Clinton Historic District Clinton Township 9-11 Memorial Cokesbury Methodist Episcopal Church Col. John Taylor's Grist Mill Colonel Charles Stewart House Copper Mines Copper Ore Cornerstone, 1754 Cornet Francis Geary Coronet Geary Trail Creamery Channel D & R David Reynolds Tavern/Joseph Van Syckel Residence Delaware & Raritan Canal Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park Delaware And Raritan Canal Delaware Township Veterans Delaware Twp. Hall Dr. James Pyatt Dunham's Mill Dusenbery Mansion House East Amwell Veterans East Amwell Veterans Honor Roll Echo Hill Everittstown Everittstown Fairmount Presbyterian Church Farm of Lloyd B. Wescott Finesville Dam Fleming Castle Flemington Egg Auction Flemington Fairgrounds Flemington Public Library Flemington Raid Flemington Railroad Company Forge Masters Dwelling Fountain Grove Cemetery Four Corners Franklin Township WWII Memorial Frenchtown Frenchtown Methodist Episcopal Church Frenchtown Railroad Frenchtown Veterans Monument Frenchtown World War 1 Monument Fulper Family Residences Fulper House Fulper Pottery Factory #1 Gem Building Gen. George W. Taylor General Daniel Morgan General George W. Taylor General Stewart Mansion General Store George Coryell’s Grave Glen Gardner Glen Gardner Goat Hill Overlook Green Sergeant's Bridge Grist Mill Hamlet of Readingsburg Hampton Hampton (Incorp. Since 1895) Hannah's Rock Hardscrabble Hill Hickory Corners High Bridge High Bridge and Longwood Valley Branch High Bridge and the Railroad High Bridge Company 1268 / Civilian Conservation Corps Historic Woodlot Hoagland Cemetery Holcombe House Holland Township Veterans Monument Huczko Memorial Fields Hunt Houses Hunterdon County Holocaust Memorial Hunterdon Historical Museum Hunterdon Museum Of Art Irish Town Jersey Barriers John Hart's Cave Jones Tavern Joseph Turner House Jugtown Mountain Kase Homestead Kingwood Methodist Episcopal Church Kingwood Tavern Kingwood Township Veterans Monument King's Manor Klinesville Historic District Lake Solitude and Taylor Falls Lambertville Lambertville Lambertville City Hall Lambertville Music Circus Lambertville Outlet Lock Lambertville Railroad Lambertville Railroad Shops Landis House Landsdown Trail Law Office Leake - Stillwell Mills Lebanon Lebanon Reformed Church Lebanon Reformed Church Cemetery Lebanon Township Veterans Monument Lebanon Township Veterans Monument Lebanon Veterans Memorial Lehigh Valley Railroad Lehigh Valley Railroad Three Story Station House Lewis Island Shad Fishery Lieutenant Hooper Road Lime Kilns Linden Farms Linvale Methodist Episcopal Church Little York Locktown Baptist Church Log Cabin & Ground Hog Kiln Lower Amwell Brethren Church Cemetery Lower Argillite Alley Lumberville - Ravenrock Toll-Supported Pedestrian Bridge Major General Daniel Morgan Marshall House Mary E. Sheridan Park Mattisons Corner Mechlin's Tavern Milford Milford Railroad Milford World War I Veterans Monument Milky Way Farm Mill Power System Minisink Trail Miquin Woods Mount Airy Mount Pleasant Mount Pleasant General Store Mount Salem Church Mountain Farm Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility Mountainville Post Mt. Joy Mulligan Quarry Musconetcong Musconetcong Valley Presbyterian Church Music Hall New Germantown New Hampton New Market Historic District Newell Cemetery Oak Grove Oak Grove Grange #119 Oak Grove School Oak Summit Oak Summit Cemetery Oak Summit School Old Iron Mines Old Rocks Church Old School Baptist Church Old Stone Church Old York Road Old York Road One-Room Schoolhouse PFC. Charles L. Danberry Packers Island Pattenburg United Methodist Church Perryville Tavern Poor Farm Potterstown Pottersville Pre-Revolutionary War King's Mill Presbyterian Cemetery Purple Heart Memorial Quaker Meeting House Quakertown Methodist Episcopal Church Railroad Bridge and Arches Raritan Township 9-11 Memorial Clock Raritan Township Firemen's Monument Raritan Township Vietnam Veterans Reading Family Mills Reading Home Readington Church Readington Township Veterans Monument Reaville Church Reaville Historic District Red Mill Museum Village Red Mill Museum Village Revolutionary War Encampments Ringoes Ringo's Tavern Road to Monmouth Battlefield Road to Monmouth Battlefield, June 20-22, 1778 Rockaway Valley Railroad 1888 Rockhill Agricultural Historic District Rockhill Property Rosemont Rosemont - Raven Rock Bridge Rosemont Cemetery Rosemont Water Co. Rowland's Mill Samuel Hill House Sandy Ridge Baptist Church Saxtonville Tavern Schoolhouse Sergeantsville First Brethren Church Servis-Quick Family Cemetery Sister Mary Miranda C.S.S.F. Site of Colonel John Mehelm House Site of Mount Bethel Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery Site of St. Andrew's Church Smokehouse Soldiers Monument Solitude Solitude Falls Solitude House South Branch Historic District South Branch Historic District South Branch Of Central R.R. South Branch Of The Central R.R. Spring Mills Springside Farm St. Ann’s Catholic Church St. Joseph Parish St. Thomas Episcopal of Alexandria Stagecoach Stop Stangl Pottery Outlet & Showroom Stanton Reformed Church Steam Era Signal & Switchstand Stockton Stockton Borough School Stockton Inn Stockton Railroad Stockton School Stone Mill Swackhammer Church Cemetery Swayze Mine T.I.S.C.O. Complex Taylor Farm Taylor Iron and Steel Company Taylor Steelworkers Historic Greenway Taylor Wharton Iron and Steel Company Taylor's Mill Historic District Tenant House The American Hotel The Amwell Line - 1704 The Califon Station The Capoolong Creek Trail The Continental Army The Convention Army The Easton Road(s) The Gorge Bridge Train Wreck The Great Clinton Fire The Lenape Village of Pelouesse The Lime Kilns The Log Cabin The Middle Valley Trap Rock & Mine Company The Mill The Mulligans The Province Line The Province Line The Quarry The Railroad & The Vernoy Quarry The Teetertown Mill The Three Brothers The TISCO Complex The Velodrome The Village of Hamden, New Jersey Three Bridges Tower Hill Farm Town of Clinton, New Jersey Train Disaster Triple Arch Stone Bridge Tuccamirgan Park Union Forge Union Forge Bridge Union Furnace Union Township World War II Memorial United First Presbyterian Church of Amwell Uplands Upper Argillite Alley Uranium Ore Van Fleet's Corner School Van Syckles Tavern Veterans Park Vietnam War Dogs Memorial Village of Bissell Volendam Windmill Voorhees State Park Warren Railroad Company Welcome to the Twp. of Lebanon Welcome To The Twp. Of Lebanon Wertsville (Weart's Corner) West Portal West Portal Methodist Church White House Station Whitehouse Veterans Monument Willis W. Vail Woodglen Worthington Farm Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church "From Here They Served" “Liver Eating” Johnson
Available on Amazon
The Miss America Pageant, one of the most famous beauty pageants in the world, was first held in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1921. The pageant has been held in Atlantic City almost every year since then, except for a few years during World War II.
Hunterdon County, located in the western part of New Jersey, has a rich and diverse history dating back to prehistoric times. The original inhabitants of the region were the Lenape Native Americans, who lived in harmony with nature and relied on hunting, fishing, and farming for their sustenance. In the early 17th century, European settlers, mostly Dutch, Swedish, and English, began to arrive, establishing small farming communities along the Delaware and Raritan rivers.

During the American Revolution, Hunterdon County played a significant role due to its strategic location between Philadelphia and New York City. The area witnessed various military campaigns and saw many important figures of the era pass through, including George Washington, who crossed the Delaware River at what is now Washington Crossing State Park. The county was also home to notable patriots such as John Hart, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

In the 19th century, Hunterdon County saw industrial development with the construction of the Delaware and Raritan Canal and the arrival of the railroad. These transportation networks facilitated the growth of towns such as Flemington and Clinton, which became important centers of commerce and trade. The county also became known for its agricultural production, particularly dairy farming and the breeding of high-quality livestock.

In the 20th century, Hunterdon County experienced suburbanization and population growth as residents began to commute to nearby cities for work. Despite modernization, the county has made efforts to preserve its historical landmarks and rural character. From charming small towns and historic sites to natural treasures such as the Sourland Mountains and Round Valley Recreation Area, Hunterdon County continues to be a place that cherishes its past while embracing the future.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Hunterdon County, New Jersey.

  • 1688: Hunterdon County, NJ is founded by royal charter
  • 1714: The first courthouse is built in the county seat of Burlington
  • 1739: The county seat is moved to Trenton
  • 1744: The county seat is moved to Flemington
  • 1750: The first sawmill is constructed in the county
  • 1776: Hunterdon County residents actively participate in the American Revolutionary War
  • 1845: The first rail transport arrives in the county
  • 1864: The Flemington Fair, now known as the Hunterdon County 4-H and Agricultural Fair, begins
  • 1897: The famous Red Mill is built in Clinton
  • 1926: The first automobile bridge is constructed across the Delaware River
  • 1939: The Hunterdon Symphony Orchestra is established
  • 1970s: The county experiences significant population growth and suburban development
  • 2009: The Hunterdon Art Museum moves to its current location in Clinton