National Register Listings in
Burlington County, New Jersey

Allen, William R., School Arney's Mount Friends Meetinghouse and Burial Ground Arneytown Historic District Atsion Village Batsto Village Beverly National Cemetery Birmingham School Bishop-Irick Farmstead Bordentown Historic District Bordentown Historic District (Boundary Increase) Breidenhart Budd, J.F., Baby Shoe Factory Burlington County Prison Burlington Historic District Buzby's General Store Chesterford School Cinnaminson Avenue and Spring Garden Street Schools Collins, Isaac, House Coopertown Meetinghouse Cropwell Friends Meeting House Crosswicks Eayres Plantation and Mill Site Evans, Amos, House Evans, William and Susan, House Evans-Cooper House Evens, Thomas and Mary, House Evesham Friends Meeting House Farmer's Hall Fenwick Manor Florence Public School No. 1 French, Thomas, Jr., House Godfrey, Edward S., Gen., House Green Hill Farm Haines, Jonathan, House High Street Historic District High Street Historic District (Boundary Increase) Hollinshead, Thomas, House Holloway, James and Charles B., Farm Complex Hopkinson, Francis, House Inskeep, John, Homestead Irick, John, House Ivins-Conover House Jacob's Chapel A.M.E. Church Jones, Benjamin, House Kirby's Mill Log Cabin Lodge Main Street Friends Meeting House Moorestown Friends School and Meetinghouse Moorestown Historic District Morris Mansion and Mill Mount Holly Historic District New Jersey Manual Training and Industrial School for Colored Youth New St. Mary's Episcopal Church Newbold, Barzillai, House Newbold, William and Susannah, House North Pemberton Railroad Station Oakwood Old Schoolhouse Paul, Alice, Birthplace Peachfield Pearson-How, Cooper, and Lawrence Houses Pemberton Historic District Perkins House Philadelphia Watch Case Company Building Point Breeze Protestant Community Church of Medford Lakes, The Providence Presbyterian Church of Bustleton Quaker School Rancocas Historic Village Recklesstown Red Dragon Canoe Club Ridgeway, William, House Riverton Historic District Roebling Historic District Rosebud Farm Schoolhouse Shamong Hotel Singleton-Lathem-Large House Smith Mansion Smith, Thomas, House Smithville Historic District Springside Public School St. Mary of the Lakes Catholic Church St. Stephens Episcopal Church Still, Dr. James, Office Stokes, Charles, House Stokes-Evans House Taylor-Newbold House Town Hall Upper Springfield Meetinghouse Vincentown Historic District West Hill Whitesbog Historic District Wills, Jacob, House Zurbrugg Mansion
Available on Amazon
The first organized drive-in movie theater in the world opened in Camden, New Jersey in 1933. The concept quickly caught on and drive-in theaters became a popular form of entertainment across the United States.
Burlington County, located in southern New Jersey, has a rich and vibrant history that dates back to the pre-colonial era. The land that now encompasses Burlington County was originally inhabited by the Lenape Native American tribe. Europeans first arrived in the area in the early 17th century, with Dutch and Swedish explorers making initial contact.

In 1677, the Province of West Jersey was established by Quaker settlers, who sought religious freedom and democratic principles. Burlington, situated along the Delaware River, became the capital of West Jersey and a hub for trade and commerce. The town quickly grew into a prosperous community and played a significant role in shaping the early history of the region.

During the American Revolution, Burlington County was a site of strategic importance. The area saw several military engagements, including the Battle of Iron Works Hill, the Battle of White Horse Tavern, and the Battle of Petticoat Bridge. These skirmishes between American and British forces left lasting marks on the local landscape and helped solidify the region's role in the fight for independence.

In the 19th and 20th centuries, Burlington County experienced significant growth and development. The county's agricultural and industrial sectors expanded, with farming, textile manufacturing, and shipbuilding playing vital roles in the local economy. Today, Burlington County continues to thrive as a vibrant community, offering a mix of historical charm and modern amenities for residents and visitors alike.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Burlington County, New Jersey.

  • 1677 - Burlington County is established by the English settlers
  • 1681 - First permanent settlement is established in Burlington City
  • 1752 - Mount Holly becomes the county seat
  • 1776-1783 - Burlington County plays a role in the American Revolutionary War
  • 1793 - Moorestown is incorporated as a township
  • 1830 - First railroads are built in Burlington County
  • 1861-1865 - County residents serve in the American Civil War
  • 1878 - Pemberton becomes a borough
  • 1892 - First electric trolley car operates in Burlington County
  • 1926 - First bridge is built over the Delaware River, connecting Burlington County and Pennsylvania
  • 1955 - Burlington County College (now Rowan College at Burlington County) is established
  • 1974 - Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst is formed by the merging of three military bases
  • 1997 - Township of Evesham changes its name to Marlton
  • 2004 - Burlington County Prison Museum is opened in Mount Holly