The world's largest buffalo statue is located in Jamestown, North Dakota. The statue stands 26 feet tall and weighs over 60 tons, and is a popular tourist attraction in the state.
Richland County, located in North Dakota, has a rich history dating back to its establishment in the late 19th century. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Sioux and the Mandan, who relied on the fertile land along the Red River for sustenance. However, with the arrival of European settlers in the mid-1800s, the dynamics of the region began to change.

The county was formally organized in 1873 and named after the wealth of rich soil found in the area. The primary economic activity at the time was agriculture, with settlers cultivating wheat, corn, and other crops. The arrival of the Great Northern Railway in the 1880s further boosted the county's growth, providing a vital transportation link for farmers to access new markets.

In the early 20th century, Richland County faced its fair share of challenges. The devastating floods of 1910 and 1950 caused considerable damage to the area, leading to the implementation of flood control measures and the construction of dams along the Red River. These efforts have helped to reduce the impact of future flooding and protect the county's infrastructure.

Today, Richland County remains primarily an agricultural community, with farming and livestock production playing a crucial role in the local economy. Over the years, the county has also seen growth in other sectors such as manufacturing and healthcare. Richland County continues to embrace its heritage while adapting to the modern challenges and opportunities of the 21st century.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Richland County, North Dakota.

  • 1873 - Richland County is established in Dakota Territory.
  • 1879 - Wahpeton becomes the county seat.
  • 1881 - First post office opens in Dwight, which later becomes part of Wahpeton.
  • 1883 - The Northern Pacific Railroad reaches the county.
  • 1898 - Wahpeton State Normal School (now known as North Dakota State College of Science) is established.
  • 1914 - The Casselton-Wahpeton rural telephone line is established.
  • 1931 - The Richland County Courthouse, located in Wahpeton, is completed.
  • 1950s - Richland County experiences an oil boom, leading to increased population and industrial growth.
  • 1988 - The Richland County Museum is established in Wahpeton.
  • 2002 - The Red River Bridge, connecting Wahpeton and Breckenridge, Minnesota, is opened.